ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Other Brands (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   New Steed in the Stable - 1977 TS185 (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=10054)

Weldangrind 10-17-2011 10:08 AM

:lol:

That's the first time I pulled the cover so I could see it, and I'm quite shocked. I rode the bike across town to get a spark plug, and if you stay off the throttle, it's fine. I'm gonna check at the local bike shop on Tuesday and see what my cost would be there; I can get a new sprocket set from Bike Bandit for $26.00, but I'd have to pay shipping on top.

SpudRider 10-17-2011 01:32 PM

Obviously, the previous owners didn't care much for drive chain maintenance! :lol:

Spud :)

MICRider 10-17-2011 08:14 PM

I think that sprockets even worse than the one on my CT was! The PO must have kept the chain pretty tight to get it to move.

Weldangrind 10-19-2011 02:42 AM

I scored well. Gnarly parts (www.gnarlyparts.ca) has the front sprocket for $11, the rear for around $27 and a new RK 520 chain for $32. I also ordered a new countershaft seal and shifter seal from Precise Bearing; all of those parts should be in by Friday.

Today I picked up two cheap dual sport tires, a generic rear fender and a 6 volt gel cell battery for cheap. I'm also going to order a replacement speedometer cable on eBay as soon as the seller confirms compatibility.

I soaked the seat latch and steering lock in lube and worked them until they would operate smoothly. I also got the spare key re-cut to properly works those locks (no charge at the locksmith).

Looking forward to more shop time. :D

SpudRider 10-19-2011 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I scored well. Gnarly parts (www.gnarlyparts.ca) has the front sprocket for $11, the rear for around $27 and a new RK 520 chain for $32. I also ordered a new countershaft seal and shifter seal from Precise Bearing; all of those parts should be in by Friday.

Today I picked up two cheap dual sport tires, a generic rear fender and a 6 volt gel cell battery for cheap. I'm also going to order a replacement speedometer cable on eBay as soon as the seller confirms compatibility.

I soaked the seat latch and steering lock in lube and worked them until they would operate smoothly. I also got the spare key re-cut to properly works those locks (no charge at the locksmith).

Looking forward to more shop time. :D

Indeed, you scored well on the sprockets and drive chain! :D You made excellent progress today. Thanks for the update, Weld. :)

Weldangrind 10-21-2011 10:43 AM

Not much progress yesterday. I intend to use some small signal lights I have, so I picked up 6v bulbs for those and for the tail light. I also took the tach apart to figure out why the stem is loose, and I think it'll be functional, once I buy a new cable. I also bought some orange paint in anticipation of fixing the dents in the tank and respraying the tank and panels.

Forgot to mention that when I picked up the rear fender, etc I bought a generic pair of aluminum handlebars that will hopefully dampen some vibration. My fillings are loose from riding that bike across town.

Still looking forward to shop time. :D

SpudRider 10-21-2011 01:21 PM

Yes, the 2-stroke engines tend to vibrate a bit, don't they? ;) My KDX220 is my first 2-stroke motorcycle, and I have noted the bike vibrates a lot more than any 4-stroke bike I have ever ridden. :lol: I'm glad I have aluminum handlebars on my bike. :) I'm also considering installing some vibranators.

http://www.vibranator.com/

Weldangrind 10-21-2011 09:46 PM

That's a cool idea! I'm too cheap to buy one, but it's cool nonetheless. I figured if the aluminum bars don't help enough, I'll wear my work gloves that are designed for using an impact wrench.

SpudRider 10-21-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

That's a cool idea! I'm too cheap to buy one, but it's cool nonetheless. I figured if the aluminum bars don't help enough, I'll wear my work gloves that are designed for using an impact wrench.

Please tell me more about those gloves, Weld. :) Are they thin enough to allow good manipulation of the controls? Are they expensive?

Weldangrind 10-21-2011 09:57 PM

I've had two pairs in the past; one pair of Mechanix M-Pact and a pair of Makita gloves. Neither pair was terribly expensive (although free for me, because they were Christmas gifts :D ).

Mechanix M-Pact

Makita M-Force II Gloves

MICRider 10-21-2011 09:58 PM

I read somewhere that you can fill the bars with steel shot to reduce vibration as well but I've never tried it! :)

SpudRider 10-21-2011 10:45 PM

Quote:

I've had two pairs in the past; one pair of Mechanix M-Pact and a pair of Makita gloves. Neither pair was terribly expensive (although free for me, because they were Christmas gifts :D ).

Mechanix M-Pact

Makita M-Force II Gloves

Wow! Thanks for the great links, Weld! :D I ride a lot, and my hands get numb, even on a 4-stroke bike, with aluminum handlebars. :( I am going to check out the gloves you mentioned! ;)

SpudRider 10-21-2011 11:16 PM

The Mechanix Wear gloves only cost $26! :)

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...7CGRP2086_____

FastDoc 10-22-2011 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MICRider
I read somewhere that you can fill the bars with steel shot to reduce vibration as well but I've never tried it! :)

+1 on that. I've not done it but know people who have with good results. They used #4 lead shot.

+1 on the Mechanix gloves too. I use them, or a similar style, sometimes as a summer off-roading glove.

Thank God I've never tested them though. :wink:

Weldangrind 10-22-2011 11:01 AM

Impact-style gloves are great for the intended purpose, although I don't use an impact wrench very often. I have, however, worn out two pairs dirt biking; they're terrific.