ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   JerryHawk250's Lifan KPX250 (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=31083)

Boatguy 08-20-2022 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TominMO (Post 382549)
I am waiting for someone in Stovepipe Wells, CA (in the middle of Death Valley) to buy one, and the inevitable reports of record rainfall and flash flooding that will result.

I like how the KPX lured you out with a few days of good weather, so that it could coordinate with that cloud to dump on you yesterday.

It happened.

KPX delivered to the Stovepipe area. Here's the result.

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...o-17377385.php

https://youtu.be/Vn4IJFERCRM

TominMO 08-20-2022 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boatguy (Post 382781)
It happened.

KPX delivered to the Stovepipe area. Here's the result.

I see that in their ignorance the authorities and reporter are unaware of the true cause of the flash flooding.

Thumper 08-27-2022 01:06 PM

engine model stamp?

What is the Zongshen engine model stamp just behind the oil filter thimble behind the gear shift on the Lifan KPX250?

JerryHawk250 08-27-2022 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 383139)
What is the Zongshen engine model stamp just behind the oil filter thimble behind the gear shift on the Lifan KPX250?

It's not Zongshen engine. It's a Lifan 172FMM-P2.

culcune 08-27-2022 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 382778)
KPX 250 out the box with no mods

Jerry, are you still stock?

On another note--that answers that oft-asked question about the proverbial 'dual-sport that can maintain 65 and hit at least 70' or whatever EVERYONE seems to ask. That speed is no joke, and I predict, with the quality of the X-Pects overall, the KPX will continue that same quality but with a more powerful dual-sport.

I do appreciate they are continuing the X-Pect as it is a lot less cost, and that bike answers that other oft-asked question about 'shorter seat height dual-sports'.

JerryHawk250 08-27-2022 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by culcune (Post 383143)
Jerry, are you still stock?

On another note--that answers that oft-asked question about the proverbial 'dual-sport that can maintain 65 and hit at least 70' or whatever EVERYONE seems to ask. That speed is no joke, and I predict, with the quality of the X-Pects overall, the KPX will continue that same quality but with a more powerful dual-sport.

I do appreciate they are continuing the X-Pect as it is a lot less cost, and that bike answers that other oft-asked question about 'shorter seat height dual-sports'.

Only mod I've done is the oil cooler.

Thumper 08-27-2022 07:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 383140)
It's not Zongshen engine. It's a Lifan 172FMM-P2.

What is the engine stamp on the Lifan KPX250?
ZS172-FMM-3A is the standard 5 speed non-counterbalanced engine model number...

Here is a picture from the PR250 (ZS172-FMM-5) on the Zumaav X7-CB250F.
Attachment 27423
It is stamped as a 5sp case!
I am curious what the engine stamp on the Lifan shows. Got a pic?

Is it the same?

I did verify that this engine on the Templar X is a 6 speed, but look at the stamp:wtf:

JerryHawk250 08-27-2022 07:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 383166)
what is the engine stamp on the lifan kpx250?
-3a is the standard 5 speed non-counterbalanced engine model number...

Here is a picture from the pr250 (zs172-fmm-5) on the zumaav x7-cb250f.
Attachment 27423
i am curious what the engine stamp on the lifan shows. Got a pic?

Is it the same?

172fmm-2P.

Thumper 08-27-2022 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 383167)
172fmm-2P.

Ah. So this is the EFI version of ZS172. I have the ZS172 engine with counterbalance and 6 speed transmission. You have the same carcass with EFI adaptions. Interesting.

Zongshen engine evolution? Now I am confused... I would expect any motorcycle that gets the EFI mil will have this engine designation, it is a Zongshen engine model series. We will see this EFI engine in other models/builds, I am sure. Does Lifan buy the Zongshen engines and change them? That is clearly a ZS172 mil. Same specification as the ZS172-FMM other than the EFI adaptation. It seems to be much too coincidental that the counterbalanced 6speed version not only showed up within a month or two in the Lifan KPX250 and other Chinese bikes. Even the external side case covers look the same. Which came first? Do they share engineers? Where are the parts made, and engine assembled? Is it s Zongshen/Lifan company? Are they the same ?

It is odd that my 6 speed ZS172 mil gets the -3A stamp, even though it is a "-5" counterbalanced 6speed (non-EFI).

Thumper 08-28-2022 02:28 PM

The -2P version of "this" engine showed up on this website back in May. I am really puzzled by the appearance of Lifan and Zongshen engines that have nearly, or completely identical exterior shape (sometimes painted, sometimes not). This 172-FMM 18hp engine in particular, and the appearance of the counterbalanced 6 speed version. External appearance, and specifications seem identical!

Maybe these designs have been out there for a few years, trickling into the US market, but made by these different manufacturers. The Chinese model of competition and copyright protection might come into play here, but it is like there is reverse engineering taking place and the external appearance, identical displacement specs don't mean a thing other than one was stolen, or both were stolen:lmao:

kyle 08-29-2022 12:20 AM

Hit 74 in the flat on the way to the trails.. road for awhile, and road back home with zero issues on a bone stock KPX. I'm very impressed with this bike coming from a. Tbr7 and couldn't be happier : https://youtu.be/qxpkulIMr1Q

JerryHawk250 08-29-2022 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyle (Post 383214)
Hit 74 in the flat on the way to the trails.. road for awhile, and road back home with zero issues on a bone stock KPX. I'm very impressed with this bike coming from a. Tbr7 and couldn't be happier : https://youtu.be/qxpkulIMr1Q

Awesome! :tup: That's what I like abut this bike. No real mods needed right out the box.

JerryHawk250 08-29-2022 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 383170)
Ah. So this is the EFI version of ZS172. I have the ZS172 engine with counterbalance and 6 speed transmission. You have the same carcass with EFI adaptions. Interesting.

Zongshen engine evolution? Now I am confused... I would expect any motorcycle that gets the EFI mil will have this engine designation, it is a Zongshen engine model series. We will see this EFI engine in other models/builds, I am sure. Does Lifan buy the Zongshen engines and change them? That is clearly a ZS172 mil. Same specification as the ZS172-FMM other than the EFI adaptation. It seems to be much too coincidental that the counterbalanced 6speed version not only showed up within a month or two in the Lifan KPX250 and other Chinese bikes. Even the external side case covers look the same. Which came first? Do they share engineers? Where are the parts made, and engine assembled? Is it s Zongshen/Lifan company? Are they the same ?

It is odd that my 6 speed ZS172 mil gets the -3A stamp, even though it is a "-5" counterbalanced 6speed (non-EFI).

The KPX engine is built by Lifan Technology (Group) Co., Ltd.. There are some differences. The KPX 250 does have a replaceable oil filter and the common oil screen. From what I've seen the ZS172-FMM doesn't. It's also rated @ 20hp. I'm sure some of the parts are interchangeable like heads and pistons.

TominMO 08-29-2022 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 383222)
The KPX 250 does have a replaceable oil filter and the common oil screen.

Hey Jerry, where is the oil screen?

JerryHawk250 08-29-2022 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TominMO (Post 383223)
Hey Jerry, where is the oil screen?

Same place just about on every other bike, left hand side near the shifter.