ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Project XL185/CG250 swap (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=27213)

XLsior 09-02-2020 06:00 PM

Hey 2LZ,
Looking at an XL250 the engine mounts will take some fudgery and customization. I think it could be done but not a drop in fit like the engines based off Honda's original 125cc.

anything between XL/XR 125/200 seems to be compatible* for a direct swap CG clone.

XLsior 09-02-2020 09:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I kept investigating 2LZ,

I think with a bit of bracket fabrication and if inclined to make/relocate a top engine mount a cg250 should would work.

found a xl250 reproduction bare frame image to wrap your head around and ponder.There appears to be some variation between years and models.

your brother in law's xl250 honda engine might be a keeper anyway.

XLsior 09-02-2020 11:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Lipstick on a pig,

those with a keen eye will notice I filled in the 'Zongshen' embossed branding on the engine.

I used JBweld to fill in and sanded back flat along with any dents and scrapes.

franque 09-03-2020 02:58 AM

Did they sell the CG in Oz?

XLsior 09-03-2020 03:57 AM

Hi Franque, yes the Chinese Honda clones are available in Australia, but I don't think any of them were fitted to road going motorbikes. As I mentioned previously I considered buying a new motor for about $800 but I could have bought a much better bike to start with with that kind of money. Then I found this used CG250 cheap so yeah...

From what I can tell all the engines used in the Australian market are intended for dirt/off road use.

franque 09-03-2020 05:10 AM

I was speaking more specifically of the Honda CG125.

XLsior 09-03-2020 05:20 AM

Don't think Legit honda CG125 were an Australian import.

I believe the CG was originally developed for the developing world markets with a limited release in Europe too.

So only Chinese CG clones are in Australia as far as I know.

However for me as a beginner, I actually rather admire the simplicity of the push rod OHV design.

XLsior 09-03-2020 05:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
What we do have are a lot of ex Australian postal service CT110 aka 'postie' bikes.

XLsior 09-05-2020 05:56 AM

Just out of curiosity anyone know the average MPG/Fuel consumption for a CG250 with a 30mm carby and mild head porting? The Xl tank is 7 Liters / 1.8 US gal.

Might be getting ahead of myself but a guys got to dream.

franque 09-05-2020 01:19 PM

Depending on speed and stuff, 25 km/l is reasonable to expect, sometimes more, also depending on how you ride it.

XLsior 09-08-2020 06:41 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Attacking the rear splash guard. To use 2LZ terms its 'roached'. However no drama the top contour section was the only thing needed and in decent shape.

Rule 1: Don't over cut. It is easier to take a little bit away than putting it back.

I was going to curve match until I thought a bit at first and left the loom guard on the plastic edge.

I looked at the part number and found the year stamp 78/79/80/81 So even if the bike was manufactured early 90's I'm still calling early 80's design and engineering putting the the bike hypothetically the same age as me.

Just a quick little update oddjob sort of thing, every step makes a difference.

Don't worry i"ll cut down the M6 bolt.

Goob 09-10-2020 12:01 PM

Please round them up and send them to the US!

Quote:

Originally Posted by XLsior (Post 345691)
What we do have are a lot of ex Australian postal service CT110 aka 'postie' bikes.

Please round them up and send them to the US! Not sure what they go for there, but a nice CT90 or CT110 will sell for $2000-$2500. If they are cheap down-under it could be worth shipping.

Loved my CT90. Got over 100 mpg in the Hi gearing and chunked along on pretty much any trail in Lo.

Wild Dog 09-10-2020 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XLsior (Post 345793)
Just out of curiosity anyone know the average MPG/Fuel consumption for a CG250 with a 30mm carby and mild head porting? The Xl tank is 7 Liters / 1.8 US gal.

Might be getting ahead of myself but a guys got to dream.

7 Liters maybe 200km if you set them somewhat lean.

XLsior 09-10-2020 07:42 PM

Hi Goob, a postie in good shape goes for 1-2k AUD by the time you factor in the cost of shipping and exchange rates I doubt its worth it. You could always come buy 1 here and ride it back to the US, might be a crazy suggestion but people actually do that sort of thing. (C90Adventures) (makeyourbones) on YT for example.

When I say we have 'a lot' What I really mean is there a better chance than nothing. Australia is a big place but not whole lot in it.

Put it this way as Wild Dog suggested 7litres is about 200km In Australia 200km isn't considered very far at all...

aaw611 09-10-2020 11:21 PM

This is a good read! Keep up the good work!

I think you will be happy with the CG engine. I just took my hawk on a 250 mile ride this past weekend. Kept up with my buddies on old Harleys no problem. The motor is bulletproof.

XLsior 09-11-2020 12:25 AM

Hey aaw611,
thanks for the kind feedback.

I think a CG with a dab of maintenance and mechanical sympathy could be a step up from bulletproof and in the bombproof apocalypse approved category. They were literally developed to survive almost no maintenance while carrying the family and a goat.

I think the real question is what can't keep up with a Harley? jk

aaw611 09-11-2020 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XLsior (Post 346136)
Hey aaw611,
thanks for the kind feedback.

I think a CG with a dab of maintenance and mechanical sympathy could be a step up from bulletproof and in the bombproof apocalypse approved category. They were literally developed to survive almost no maintenance while carrying the family and a goat.

I think the real question is what can't keep up with a Harley? jk

Yeah these were old school 883 Sportsters and a Honda Shadow that were bobbed out. I was even kept up for a stretch on the interstate! The horsepower from a 229cc Hawk to an 883cc Harley is not a linear relationship!!!

XLsior 09-12-2020 01:34 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Started on the triple tree yesterday.

Was a cold wet and foggy day here so what better thing to do then spray paint bike parts, never fear I had a top notch drying booth*

Also just showing how I basically cleaned all the fittings with a brass wheel and bench drill.

As well as a bit of a project tip to tag and bag everything in order and location, you will thank yourself later.

XLsior 09-12-2020 01:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Woops got the stem bearings and bench drill pics mixed up.

Well as far as the bearings were concerned you can't have enough grease...

XLsior 09-12-2020 01:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attempt 2 drill upload

XLsior 09-12-2020 01:49 AM

The unfudgeulation

3 Attachment(s)
Ok the Xl comes with a raised choke cable bracket. But I also figured out that there was a likely a clutch cable retainer as a complete fitting.

So I made the effort to Unfudgeulate and repair the original design function.

My welding ability was tested. However I believe I succeeded

XLsior 09-12-2020 01:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The Triple tree is assembled and customized.

paulsstag 09-12-2020 02:07 PM

Neat project, keep up the info and photos.:tup:

XLsior 09-14-2020 02:15 AM

Servicing the Cables.

2 Attachment(s)
I saw Jake from JenniesGarage on YT make these little heatshrink funnels for holding lube oil so gravity and a little work might unstick a stuck cable and definitely lube the cables on his Trail 90 project series.

So I am not taking credit for this nifty idea.
I am keeping my original choke and clutch cables and this definitely helped.

Just going to keep topping up the fluid till comes out the bottom. Or work the cable while topping up to flush out the grit and grunge.

XLsior 09-15-2020 04:41 AM

Leverage

2 Attachment(s)
Cleaning up the levers.

Fixing the brake light contacts was a bit finicky.

missing a bolt as you do and no idea why the adjusters are mismatched but just going to wear the imperfections and battle scars with confidence and respect to the bike's past.

XLsior 09-22-2020 04:25 AM

Lamp bracket meets Amateur Welding

3 Attachment(s)
Found time to make another welding repair on a busted headlamp bracket.
I had to break the previous owners attempt weld the bracket on as it was not the same length and bent.

So yeah, I did ok I reckon... then went to town and solidified the inseam weld on both brackets and left the welds as is as homage to my lack of skill.

XLsior 09-22-2020 04:38 AM

Resto Mod LED headllight conversion and install.

4 Attachment(s)
So I cut the base off the OE headlight holder and found that it was the same'ish inside diameter than the LED 5500k LED HI/low H4 headlight left overs from my Van.

So I managed to use the original retention bulb holder for the H4 LED.

The indicators are just (flexible LED indicators) from Aliexpress. used a step drill bit and checked for clearances...all good. Much tidier than the original Honda indicators that hang off the levers.

That's it for now, still waiting for some parts.

I could make a attempt on front shocks but its 1 of those apprehensive things I have to get over.

franque 09-22-2020 01:06 PM

Looking great! Did you say that you don't have your license yet?

XLsior 09-22-2020 03:52 PM

That's correct Franque, I have an Australian open class C drivers license. but not a motorcycle license.

The first last time I tried to ride a motorbike I uncoordinated myself and ended up in a stinging nettle thicket. After that I sort of put the idea on the shelf.

Getting a motorcycle class license in Australia is a bit of a faff. no lack of regulations here.

I will likely enroll in a approved riding course in the foreseeable future. almost costs the same as the bike...

China Rider 27 09-22-2020 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XLsior (Post 346682)

I will likely enroll in a approved riding course in the foreseeable future. almost costs the same as the bike...

Hopefully they have some beaters to ride instead of that beauty.

XLsior 09-22-2020 11:23 PM

Yeah I'll be taking advantage of the supplied benders for an additional fee.

China Rider 27 09-23-2020 09:54 AM

It cost $200 where I live, good thing is if you pass the written and the driving test they give you an endorsement and you go to Dept Motor Vehicles and get it added to your license. There were 12 in my course and 11 of 12 dropped the bike at least once!

Ktmarty 09-29-2020 08:02 PM

Well done mate. Keep up the good work.

I’ve got a shed full of CG , CRF And horizontal Honda copies waiting for new homes. Love what you are doing with yours

Ps. I love JenniesGarage. Those two make me laugh. Great inspiration

XLsior 10-11-2020 12:52 AM

Counting Carbs

3 Attachment(s)
Received the Keihin PZ30 with throttle and filter kit in the mail the other day. Pretty happy with it.

But thought it would interesting to make some comparisons to the Mikuni missing the slide that came with the CG250 and the Keihin 27 that came with the Honda 163.

The most notable issue to me was how much of a restrictive dog leg with the inlet adapter the Mikuni came with.

Also with a touch rotary porting managed to open up the inlet adapter that came with the Honda 163.

no real issues with interchangeability the Honda inlet adapter mates up to the CG250 head perfectly and the O'ring seal to the PZ30 is adequate.

Appears that the Honda inlet adapter also has in built heat insulator too. compared to the other adapter's separate plastic spacer.

I have not opened the PZ30 to see what jets it came with.

Still waiting for more parts, can't do much with the build until my new piston and rings turn up.

China Rider 27 10-12-2020 01:02 AM

That looks to be a PZ30b or pumper carb in contrast to the the PZ30. A good carburetor with performance in mind. Wonder if you can get that PZ27 up and running? Would be nice to compare them, alas the Mikuni is not salvageable it appears. Something about getting an old carburetor running again.

XLsior 10-12-2020 02:22 AM

I got the PZ27 cleaned and running on the Honda 163 engine. but the throttle grip was past its prime.

Then looking around and the PZ30b pumper seems to turn up in mentions on the regular. and the complete kit on Ali was reasonably priced and came with the choke cable bracket that was missing on my P27 I have mildly ported the head so I doubt the PZ27 would keep up and keep to lean.

Basically the PZ30b kit was a triple win. but the real real deal will come when the bike finally fires up.

China Rider 27 10-12-2020 11:55 AM

I like the PZ30b and think it a very good carburetor, especially with low gearing and has great acceleration. If you haven't checked it out there is the PZ30B thread that covers it all. That PZ27 looks to me to be a good experiment one day with the right jets who knows for sure?

XLsior 10-12-2020 06:36 PM

Yeah China Rider27 I have glanced over the PZ30b thread and watched Oddballs YT video prior to making the purchase.

Still waiting for my Keihin jet kit bu the the Wuflu happened. So some things I ordered appeared to get stuck in a place called Nowhere.

I found a new discounted chinesium cylinder/piston kit that should work with my Honda 163 so will likely be returning the P27 to its original place. When I find the spare time I'll have a go refreshing the 163.

XLsior 10-15-2020 10:51 PM

New Shoes

1 Attachment(s)
Fitted new rubber to the rims.

Decided to go with Dunlop 605s front and back.

It felt like the right choice for this bike and were really the only choice given the correct size DOT approved options available to choose from from the retail supplier at an budget minded price.

Researched whether the yellow spot on the tire was placed near the valve for balancing which was the case for Dunlop. So made the effort to try and and achieve the result.

Would like to have said they went on without issue but I pinched my first HD rear inner tube and decided to not risk a failed patch job on new rubber.

Probably wouldn't have ruined the tube if I didn't fit rim locks.

just used a ebay set of tyre/tire levers to get the job done and personally would not like to have to do it again anytime soon.

XLsior 10-28-2020 05:51 PM

New Piston & Rings, Shaving the Head For an empty wallet.

5 Attachment(s)
Greetings,

So the New 67mm Piston and Rings came in the post yesterday.

Using a 10mm thick float glass panel for a flat surface and taping down some wet'n'dry 240/400 grit sand paper I cleaned up the cylinder mating surface just enough with 400 grit as keeping the stoke distance without interference here is important.

Where you can take off some material is the Head to increase the compression. I didn't go to hard on the first pass. I have since purchased a sheet of 240grit to take away a little more surface material. then finish with 400 grit.

the process isn't complicated. Even pressure with an orbital rotation action. turning the part 90* every so often.

NOTE: the CG250 head lower exhaust stud has to be removed for complete surface contact.

As for the Piston rings, All seems in order when compared to the shagged used parts.
If anyone can impart a knowledge nugget regarding the ring order/orientation (I have taken photo showing Rings marked with D/DY) From what I recall the marking a faced up but not sure which is the top ring.

Also any ideas on ring gaps?

I'll take some more pics of the second Head shave and probably do another pool noodle cylinder hone pass with the 400 grit.

Cheers for checking my project thread.