ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   New XF200 owner (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=8955)

SpudRider 04-21-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmmcd
...As for highway riding, I understand the capabilities and limitations of the 200. The section of highway that I ride is more of a bypass, with fairly light traffic and 55mph speed limit. I feel comfortable riding it for the short stretch that I'm on it. I can easily tuck behind a car or truck and ride in their draft at 65 mph without problem. I do appreciate your concern, though. :D...

Thank you for providing the extra information, DM. :) I feel guilty if I do not caution everyone regarding the dangers of riding a 200cc motorcycle on limited access highways. We consider ourselves very blessed that FastDoc is still alive after being hit from behind while riding his 200cc bike on the interstate highway last year. ;)

Spud :)

dmmcd 04-21-2011 04:13 PM

I have been rear-ended on my SV before, it is not fun. I was making a left turn, so I was almost stopped, but after the crash I wound up with my helmet under the front bumper and my face shield against the front tire. I was only bruised; it could have ended much worse. Crashes can happen on the highway or anywhere, so now I always make sure I know who is behind me.

Of course that didn't help when I was hit by a deer a few years ago, he came out from the side and tackled me right off the bike. I am now a strong advocate of wearing safety gear.

FastDoc 04-21-2011 04:49 PM

Doc's also glad to be here. I still have work to do. :wink:

I was hit by a deer, twice while I lived in Kalifornia!! 8O

I was in my car, both times. SOB dented the door once.

I hit a bat at 100+ MPH in Yosemite one night while riding an Interceptor 800. Hit me in the chest. Felt like Clubber Lang punched me. There is a lot of blood in a bat. I looked like Freddy Kruger. :roll:

katoranger 04-21-2011 08:53 PM

I hit a deer in 2003. Fortunately I rode away with a just a bruised ankle and a clump of fur in the fender.

JTCAndrew 04-21-2011 08:58 PM

Hitting Deer in PA is almost an everyday occurance - I hit one in 2000 with My Toyota Pickup 4x4 Lifted - 65mph and drove over top of it!

Hit a Heard of them in my minivan 8 total - Killed 4 of them and didn;t even total out the van! - LMAO Needless to say My Freezer was FULL of Venison for quite awhile.

Thats how we do it here in PA! :wink:

katoranger 04-21-2011 09:04 PM

Hit one on I94 in Wisconsin in a Jeep Cherokee. Just clumps of fur and guts under the jeep. No other damage. Stunk for awhile.

That's the only two I've hit. Plenty of smaller mammals.

Zugzug 04-21-2011 10:43 PM

I dont want to give the impression I dont like the Q. Its a great bike and I wasnt looking for another bike. This deal just fell into my lap and I have wanted a Blast for a while, long before I took a look at the Q. I'm a bike addict, lol Theres no way I was gonna pass up a 03' Blast for $800.

JTCAndrew 04-21-2011 10:55 PM

I just googled the Blast to see what they looked like. What color is it?
What size? 500cc?

Zugzug 04-21-2011 11:02 PM

Heres a link to some specs. Its the red one. It come with the regular seat and the low'pro seat, vance and hynes exhaust, extra set of bars, and a new belt (old one broke) that I need to put on.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/bikes/buell.htm

JTCAndrew 04-21-2011 11:16 PM

Sweet - I like the LoPro seat - I would need that as I am Vertically challenged! LOL Pretty cool sport bike. I had a KAW Ninja 250 that I wish I still had - Divorce years ago made the Ninja go Bye Bye.....Damn Ex Wives anyways! :twisted:

Zugzug 04-21-2011 11:46 PM

Yeah I had a 150cc and a 250cc scoot last year that I had to sell to move into this apartment so I could get away from the crazy #@%& wife. Tomarrow I sign the final papers and the divorce will be a done deal. Talking about a GOOD friday!

She gambled our money away and I had my M109 (1800cc) repo'd but managed to keep the rest of the stuff. My layoff didnt help things either. I still had my Nighthawk but of course they were out riding it and her friend totalled it and threatened to sue me for medical bills. So I ended up buying a china scoot. It was fun so I bought another one. Then I found out about her boyfriend she met at work. I just had enough so I moved out. 22yrs of which most was hell. It was one of my best decisions I have ever made :D Peace of mind is a wonderful thing. I didnt even fight over it. I let her have what she wanted which was damn near everything and told her I would give her some money each month until I retire if she would just sign the divorce papers.

SpudRider 04-22-2011 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTCAndrew
Hitting Deer in PA is almost an everyday occurance - I hit one in 2000 with My Toyota Pickup 4x4 Lifted - 65mph and drove over top of it!

Hit a Heard of them in my minivan 8 total - Killed 4 of them and didn;t even total out the van! - LMAO Needless to say My Freezer was FULL of Venison for quite awhile.

Thats how we do it here in PA! :wink:

Does the Pennsylvania Game Commission (PGC) allow you to keep road killed deer? When I lived in Pennsylvania the dead deer would literally rot on the side of the road, because only the Pennsylvania Game Commission was allowed to collect them. Supposedly, the PGC would deliver the venison to suitable charities; however, the PGC never seemed to collect the road kill. :roll:

JTCAndrew 04-22-2011 06:51 AM

Spud - PGC hahahahaha yeah right......Thats all im saying......

JTCAndrew 04-22-2011 06:53 AM

Zug - Sounds like your on the road to recovery - Congrats......

dmmcd 04-22-2011 12:45 PM

I did a little shopping yesterday and today... I ordered the 16 tooth sprocket from JetsRUs, I ordered a 3 pack of oil filters from eBay and I scored a set of Acerbis hand guards from eBay.

I want to change the oil pretty soon, and I'll change out the filter at that time (~250 km) to clean out any particles from break-in. I will also install those risers at some point. It looks like a rainy weekend, but I don't know if I'll have time to tinker or not.

Zugzug 04-23-2011 01:03 AM

Thanks Andrew. Yeah I was devistated at first but doing pretty good now. Actually I'm doing great, and today was a GOOD FRIDAY! lol Divorce papers signed, got my new ride, ate some birthday cake n icecream (tomarrows the actual date though) I have definately been blessed lately. :D

JTCAndrew 04-23-2011 06:46 AM

That is a Hellava good Birthday Present - Congrats and HAPPY BIRTHDAY - Now go celebrate. Make it a great day....... :D

Weldangrind 04-23-2011 12:04 PM

X2, Happy Birthday Zug!

SpudRider 04-23-2011 12:25 PM

Happy birthday, Zug. :D If the weather is nice, celebrate with a ride on you Blast! :)

Zugzug 04-23-2011 07:35 PM

Still rainy and cold :( So I been staying inside today. Just had a cheesy birthday meal. Cheese steaks with cheese soaked fries followed with some cheese cake.

JTCAndrew 04-23-2011 08:46 PM

Sorry you had such a Cheesy day...No Pun intended - well maybe. LOL

tHE SUN CAME AND WENT SEVERAL TIME HERE TROUGH OUT THE DAY - sTILL DIDN'T RIDE, BUT GOT THE HANDLEBARS SWAPPED OUT TODAY - i REALLY LIKE THEM - CAN'T WAIT TO TRY THEM OUT.....

dmmcd 05-01-2011 10:10 PM

Updates

I finally got the risers installed. They are adjustable by adding or removing spacer plates. I figured what the heck and went for the whole deal, which adds about 1 1/2" of height. I am 6'2" and it feels quite comfortable, but my ride to work tomorrow will show. They look very much higher, but it doesn't really feel that different, I guess. I rotated them back a bit from where they were. No clearance issues, but I did re-adjust the throttle cable to give a bit more play.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...0/IMG_3988.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...0/IMG_3987.jpg

I have hand guards that I was going to install, but I noticed that the brake lever is much too long. The guards are the wrap-around type that fit into the end of the bars. So I will need to trim my brake and clutch levers, but I didn't feel like getting into that tonight.

I also changed the oil and filter on Saturday, as I was approaching 500km. My brother borrowed it for a ride on Sunday, and the bike now has just over 600 km on it. It rides better every time I get on it. The only issue I am having right now is a front wheel hop issue when cruising at constant speed. It could be a crappy tire, or really weak fork oil. I want to change the fork oil soon. I need to lift the front end and check the wheel and tire runout.

I got some nice outdoor shots on Friday in my front yard:
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...0/IMG_3979.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...0/IMG_3978.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...0/IMG_3976.jpg

Zugzug 05-01-2011 10:32 PM

Hey looks good!

I hear quite often about people having balance issues with the china tires but I have yet to have an issue. These Kingstones are some nice tires for a china tire too. The only tires that I ever had an issue with were a set of dunlops once they were around 50%. If some balancing is needed I think I would go with the beads inside the tire on these rims. I would check to see if theres something else causing the issue first though.

As I recall your brother had a little mishap on it. I would check to see that every thing is still aligned and tightened to spec. Check for dirt in the deep rim grooves, loose spoke or dented rim. Maybe the rotors slightly tweaked. It can be very little and not seen by your eye when the rotors slightly out but you can usually feel it in the brake handle when it pulses.

FastDoc 05-01-2011 10:36 PM

The OEM tires on the Q are quite good. So are the tubes. Check the bead for runout. I bet it's not seated evenly. :wink:

Weldangrind 05-01-2011 10:55 PM

Sweet bike! We have trees with similar blossoms throughout the neighbourhood, and I have the same yellow flowers in my lawn.

JTCAndrew 05-01-2011 11:35 PM

Hey Dan - Glad to see you got the risers on. Looks good! I'll have to keep an eye out for front wheel hop - Have not felt any on mine yet!

SpudRider 05-02-2011 12:34 AM

You bike looks great, DM! Thanks for posting the nice photos. :) Are those cherry trees in bloom?

dmmcd 06-06-2011 08:23 AM

I've done a few little tweaks since last posting. I added Acerbis hand guards, which required trimming the levers, but I think they look good and add some protection.

I checked and adjusted the valves. I screwed it up the first time because I was on the wrong stroke, but I got it all sorted out eventually. It only took like 15 minutes to do.

The front wheel had a nasty hop to it. The rim seemed pretty straight and true, but the tire has a bulge at one point. I'm not quite sure what to do about it, but I balanced it and it took 6 weights (1 1/2 oz) but now it is balanced. It doesn't hop as bad, but still does a little. I think adding some real fork oil might help this a little more. I don't want to buy a new tire yet.

The left fork guard lost the screws and almost came off, but it stayed on until I got home. I got some stainless screws and loc-tite and got it back on. By the way, the fork guard fasteners are #10-32. I was looking around for metric, assuming they would be M4 or M5, but turns out they are not.

I bought some 5w fork oil, and that is my next planned modification. I am up to just over 1500 km on the bike, and it runs great and is a ton of fun!

Weldangrind 06-06-2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmmcd
By the way, the fork guard fasteners are #10-32. I was looking around for metric, assuming they would be M4 or M5, but turns out they are not.

That amazes me! 8O

SpudRider 06-06-2011 01:57 PM

Thanks for the update, DM! :)

dmmcd 06-27-2011 09:00 AM

I finally got around to working on the front wheel. I took the tire off and checked the rim, and found a slight bulge in one place. I got out my spoke wrench and got the rim back in round. I re-balanced the wheel also. The front wheel hop is gone and the ride is MUCH smoother now.

I replaced the battery with a Shorai LFX09A2-BS12, which cost $110 shipped. This is an amazing little battery. It almost feels like a pack of Duracell AA when you hold it.

I ordered a 44 tooth JT rear sprocket from Bike Bandit. JTR809.44T is the part number, I had to chat with a customer service guy to find it, because it keeps asking what bike you want it for, and I couldn't find the right bike with the part number I wanted. Cost was $17. I think this should make the commute even more pleasant.

After doing some research, I decided to go with 10W fork oil, I'll use the 5w I bought before on my SV. I don't know if I'll get to that in the near future or not.

Still loving this bike. It is so much fun.

Moonbloodsflow 06-27-2011 09:41 AM

Did you ever replace the front sprocket with the 16t you ordered? If so, how much torque do you think you lost? I've heard it's pretty negligible but wanted to hear your input.

dmmcd 06-27-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonbloodsflow
Did you ever replace the front sprocket with the 16t you ordered? If so, how much torque do you think you lost? I've heard it's pretty negligible but wanted to hear your input.

I did, and don't notice too much of a loss of torque. It is more comfortable in the 50 to 60 mph range, which is where I spend most of my time. I think the 44T rear will make that even better.

I still have to move the needle clip in the carb to the 4th slot, which should give a bit more pep in the mid-throttle and hopefully make up for the gearing changes. The carb is currently stock, which I believe should be in the 3rd position. My brother's XF has the clip moved, but has stock gearing. It feels maybe slightly peppier, but head to head I can take him. Of course, that might be because I weigh 135 lbs and he is closer to 200 lbs... ;)

I have no problem with acceleration, the bike goes when I gas it from a stop. The roll-on power is lacking, i.e. when I am cruising at like 40 mph and want to accelerate to 50. I think the carb adjustment might help that a little. I'm not going to be doing any power wheelies, but it can easily keep up with the cars in front of me.

dmmcd 06-15-2012 02:43 PM

I haven't updated this thread in a while. Guess I've been too busy riding the bike.

I did do a few more mods to the bike, but nothing major. I installed a GPS mount and 12V socket for a trip a while back. I haven't bothered removing it yet. It attaches to the bar clamp. My GPS has a suction cup mount that sticks well to the plate. I put a strap around it just in case, but it stayed put. And the 12V socket is just zip-tied to the riser. The leads have a plug on them which mates to a plug coming from my battery. This way I can disconnect it easily. The plug coming from the battery also supplies juice to my heated vest in the cold months.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...0/IMG_2704.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...0/IMG_2705.jpg

I removed the silver grab handle thingies. I always seemed to catch my foot on them. I would not trust them to pick up the bike or allow someone to hold them. They seemed really weak. I removed the passenger pegs anyway.

I cleaned up the tail a bit with a cheap Polysport tail light. I had to fabricate a custom license plate bracket. I took the plate light off the old tail section and used it on the new bracket. It looks pretty clean. The Polysport took a lot more work to get on than I thought, but I like the end result. I thought about cutting off the little tail on the Polysport bracket, but left it on for now. I am still undecided about that.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...0/IMG_2703.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...0/IMG_2702.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...0/IMG_2706.jpg

FastDoc 06-15-2012 03:00 PM

Great bike. 8)

Taillight looks great.

I LOVE the GPS mount.

Good bikes those Q's. :wink:

SpudRider 06-15-2012 04:22 PM

I like your new tail light, DM. I don't know why the manufacturers insist on hanging those ugly "tails" off the rear fenders of motorcycles. :roll: The rear end of you bike looks much better, now that the "tail" has been "bobbed." :) If you're pretty confident you won't be moving the Polisport tail light to a different bike, I would also "bob" that "tail." ;)

MartyPhilippines 08-03-2012 02:56 AM

The xf 200 by qlink is a great bike. Am thinking of getting the mt250 in the future if it becomes available here in the Philippines. I think the xf 200 is what is known here as the grx 200 by CPI motors. My brother has one and we have ridden together on several occasions. Great handling and power. :) My ride is the moto r 155cc motard by zongshen.

FastDoc 08-03-2012 11:47 AM

Welcome to the forum, Marty.

We would love to hear more about you and your Zong. Please feel free to start a new thread and tell us more about yourself. :D

SpudRider 08-04-2012 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastDoc
Welcome to the forum, Marty.

We would love to hear more about you and your Zong. Please feel free to start a new thread and tell us more about yourself. :D

X2! :)

happyharold 08-24-2012 07:48 PM

Is the Q Link a 200 dual sport??---If so how much do they cost new??---Can they qualify for Cal registration??---Thanks

Happy