ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Zongshen RX3 (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Zongshen RX3 carbureted version mods & repairs (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14455)

FTEY 02-26-2015 02:17 PM

Great remedy.. Worked except the shifting to N. Sometimes still cant get it. So i shift down from 2nd gear when i cant get it.

Adventore 02-26-2015 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 180413)
It sounds like you're really getting to know your bike. :D

What can I say. I'm a mechanical engineer. Doing research is my daily job. This is also my hobby. When things are getting in your way, you just have to find how to work around the problem until it's permanently solved. :shrug:

Adventore 02-26-2015 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FTEY (Post 180433)
Great remedy.. Worked except the shifting to N. Sometimes still cant get it. So i shift down from 2nd gear when i cant get it.

You know? I hate revving the engine at the stop light. Especially when there are young bikers. They will think that you are trying to invite them for a race. But as the matter of fact, I'm just trying to get to my neutral gear. :doh:

Weldangrind 02-26-2015 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adventore (Post 180461)
What can I say. I'm a mechanical engineer. Doing research is my daily job. This is also my hobby. When things are getting in your way, you just have to find how to work around the problem until it's permanently solved. :shrug:

That is exactly what I'd be doing, if I could start again.

Adventore 02-28-2015 04:46 AM

FTEY and I went for adjustment today. The mechanic uses a short screw driver bit attaching to a socket of ratchet to adjust the PMS. The tuning of our carb is slightly rich. The spark plug is a bit dark. But the adjustment still doesn't solve our problem. We have to send our bike back for him to readjust the carb. Sounds like he will open up the carb and change the pin.

After the adjustment, we put the bike to test by riding over 200km. Although it's not at its best condition, but the ride seems smoother than before. Especially when we ride on a countryside. Slow speed with high gear seems to be very relaxing.

As for the hard to get neutral problem, the mechanic told us that he will change the pin on the clutch. by doing that, shifting to neutral shoul be much easier. But we will have to leave our bike for a day.

SpudRider 02-28-2015 05:19 AM

I'm glad you are making progress. :) It is important to adjust the PMS first, before changing the carburetor jets. If the PMS needs to be tightened too much, you need a smaller pilot jet. Conversely, if the PMS needs to be loosened too much, you need a larger pilot jet. ;)

Adventore 02-28-2015 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 180555)
I'm glad you are making progress. :) It is important to adjust the PMS first, before changing the carburetor jets. If the PMS needs to be tightened too much, you need a smaller pilot jet. Conversely, if the PMS needs to be loosened too much, you need a larger pilot jet. ;)

Thank you, Spud. I've learnt something from you today.

SpudRider 02-28-2015 10:15 PM

You're welcome. :) Different carburetors might have different values, but the correct setting of the PMS should be about 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 turns out from the lightly seated position. If you need to adjust the PMS much farther in either direction, you a need a different pilot jet. ;)

FTEY 03-01-2015 09:53 AM

Yup. Was a great ride with Adventore. Gonna send my bike in for the tunes this comig weekend. Will keep all posted of the outcome, and probably go on another ride with Adventore after he did his.

thillskier 03-01-2015 11:12 AM

Glad your getting there re tune...It does take time, though.
We are all surely jealous of your riding, but appreciate your reviews and pictures also, to help until our bikes get here.
Thanks and enjoy!

Weldangrind 03-01-2015 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FTEY (Post 180619)
Yup. Was a great ride with Adventore. Gonna send my bike in for the tunes this comig weekend. Will keep all posted of the outcome, and probably go on another ride with Adventore after he did his.

You guys went riding together? Any pics of the adventure?

FTEY 03-01-2015 09:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 180633)
You guys went riding together? Any pics of the adventure?

Forgot to take pics.
I only got one when our bikes are in for tuning before we head out.
We will remember to take more on our next trip.
Attachment 2397

SpudRider 03-01-2015 10:12 PM

FTEY,

Thanks for posting the photograph you obtained. :) If you have time, can you get calipers and measure the rear sprocket for us?

http://www.jtsprockets.com/fileadmin...rge/jtr811.jpg

FTEY 03-01-2015 10:57 PM

Ya. I think i still owe you that.
Will post it here later today.

SpudRider 03-01-2015 11:22 PM

Thank you, FTEY. :)

thillskier 03-02-2015 07:19 AM

FTEY:tup: re sprocket measurements..

Adventore 03-02-2015 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FTEY (Post 180689)
Forgot to take pics.
I only got one when our bikes are in for tuning before we head out.
We will remember to take more on our next trip.
Attachment 2397

Wow! I didn't know that you took this picture. I think I was speaking to the shop owner about the correct spare tank lever setting that time. :tup:

FTEY 03-03-2015 04:49 AM

Sprocket size

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by thillskier (Post 180730)
FTEY:tup: re sprocket measurements..

This is the approximate measurement of the sprocket
The Sprocket reads WLJF 44-520
Attachment 2399

classix_man 03-03-2015 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FTEY (Post 180619)

Hi FTEY,

So how's your bike after tuning? What has been done for the engine? Is there any tuning for the valve also or just carburetor tuning? I already booked my bike from Chuan Cycle and they told me the bike may arrive sometime this week. However, the process of buying might takes some time and I may get the key to my bike next week.

Since you and Adventore have a same issue on the bike, it would be good if you can update to us the effort that I might have take if the same problem arise.

And do keep us update with all the nice pictures!! Thanks!!

FTEY 03-03-2015 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classix_man (Post 180841)
Hi FTEY,

So how's your bike after tuning? What has been done for the engine? Is there any tuning for the valve also or just carburetor tuning? I already booked my bike from Chuan Cycle and they told me the bike may arrive sometime this week. However, the process of buying might takes some time and I may get the key to my bike next week.

Since you and Adventore have a same issue on the bike, it would be good if you can update to us the effort that I might have take if the same problem arise.

And do keep us update with all the nice pictures!! Thanks!!

Bike is doing well. Just hit the 600km mark today. They just did adjustments on the PMS settings. Can be even better if the carb is slightly tuned a bit. Will send my bike in again for the carb tuning tomorrow. Will need to leave it for the day. They will help adjust the clutch as well. Will keep you posted on any new findings

classix_man 03-03-2015 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FTEY (Post 180852)
Bike is doing well. Just hit the 600km mark today. They just did adjustments on the PMS settings. Can be even better if the carb is slightly tuned a bit. Will send my bike in again for the carb tuning tomorrow. Will need to leave it for the day. They will help adjust the clutch as well. Will keep you posted on any new findings

Thanks a lot FTEY!!

SpudRider 03-03-2015 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FTEY (Post 180840)
This is the approximate measurement of the sprocket
The Sprocket reads WLJF 44-520

Thank you. :thanks:

Adventore 03-04-2015 10:54 PM

I went out for lunch together with a colleague who owns a Honda CBX 750cc yesterday. I noticed that my speed indicated on the Odometer is not same as the CBX. My friend told me that he was riding at about 100km/h. But mine indicated 120km/h.

After lunch, we tried to verify again. This time, I am asking my friend to ride at 90km/h and I try to keep up. The speed indicated on my odometer this time is around 107km/h average.

So, if I were to follow them (the CBX team) in convoy to other places, I will have a hard time to keep up with their speed. Those bikes can easily reach 140km/h on highway.

SpudRider 03-04-2015 11:58 PM

Yes, the Zongshen speedometer is at least 15% 'optimistic.' ;)

Weldangrind 03-05-2015 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adventore (Post 181026)
I went out for lunch together with a colleague who owns a Honda CBX 750cc yesterday. I noticed that my speed indicated on the Odometer is not same as the CBX. My friend told me that he was riding at about 100km/h. But mine indicated 120km/h.

After lunch, we tried to verify again. This time, I am asking my friend to ride at 90km/h and I try to keep up. The speed indicated on my odometer this time is around 107km/h average.

So, if I were to follow them (the CBX team) in convoy to other places, I will have a hard time to keep up with their speed. Those bikes can easily reach 140km/h on highway.

It would be nice to be able to correct the speedometer, but I don't think you can. I presume it to be designed for a 21" front wheel.

You could always add a small digital speedometer that uses a magnet on the front wheel. Several of us have done that.

A GPS / Satnav device would also do the trick.

Xtyling 03-05-2015 03:08 AM

Even if the 250cc had an accurate speedometer. Asking a 250cc to keep up with a pack of 750's running on their top end seems like a tall order. I'm sure if the 750's were priced to equal the 250 then it would be a fair order.

FTEY 03-05-2015 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xtyling (Post 181051)
Even if the 250cc had an accurate speedometer. Asking a 250cc to keep up with a pack of 750's running on their top end seems like a tall order. I'm sure if the 750's were priced to equal the 250 then it would be a fair order.

Lets gather a few of the existing rs3s here. Hopefully there will be more

FTEY 03-05-2015 11:05 AM

Just got my bike back from the shop after the carb tuning. Clutch is lighter compared to stock. Much easier to control. The carb resetting makes the throttle response better. I feel the bike's engine is lighter when its on the go. Another thing happened after all the setting is i noticed deceleration popping sound from the exhaust. Read around some other forums and articles. Apparently they said that the decel pop happens when the motor is tuned to perform at its best and its leaner. I will try on he cold start tmrw morning when i head to work. Will tell more....

SpudRider 03-05-2015 11:09 AM

Did the shop only adjust the PMS, or did they also change the carburetor jets?

FTEY 03-05-2015 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 181071)
Did the shop only adjust the PMS, or did they also change the carburetor jets?

They told me no jets was changed. They say they just took out the carb and made some internal adjustments. And balance up the PMS and air tuning. Thats all.

SpudRider 03-05-2015 11:56 AM

That's great. I thought the PMS was the problem. ;)

katoranger 03-05-2015 12:20 PM

North America must be getting the male versions without PMS.

Weldangrind 03-06-2015 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katoranger (Post 181094)
North America must be getting the male versions without PMS.

:hehe:

FTEY 03-07-2015 10:51 PM

I think the tuning might have been too lean. Sometimes the engine stalled while going down slopes with clutch fully pressed, difficulty to cold start and decel popping on exhaust. All seems like pointing towards the bike running too lean.

Weldangrind 03-08-2015 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FTEY (Post 181249)
I think the tuning might have been too lean. Sometimes the engine stalled while going down slopes with clutch fully pressed, difficulty to cold start and decel popping on exhaust. All seems like pointing towards the bike running too lean.

That makes sense. Are those symptoms gone?

FTEY 03-08-2015 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 181268)
That makes sense. Are those symptoms gone?

Not yet. Need to tune the PMS a tad richer. Maybe 1/4 or 1/2 turns richer.

SpudRider 03-08-2015 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FTEY (Post 181249)

I agree. :) When you have time, please post an update and tell us how well the engine is now running.

FTEY 03-16-2015 10:54 AM

Did my 1st service last Sat and had the carb tuned. The shop changed the jet on the carb. Now its running like a charm. No more decel popping. Feel good.

Weldangrind 03-16-2015 11:03 AM

Thanks for the update. Did they change the main jet? What size was the original? What size did they install?

classix_man 03-16-2015 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FTEY (Post 181602)
Did my 1st service last Sat and had the carb tuned. The shop changed the jet on the carb. Now its running like a charm. No more decel popping. Feel good.

Looks good. So how's the fuel consumption FTEY?

e.g: rm10 (RM1.95/liter) = ? kilometers