ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Max volts the charging system can take? (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=26115)

willardnigma 04-30-2020 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megadan (Post 335468)
It does, but depending on how weak/dead the battery is, it may not want to kick over. At least not very easily. If it was just low because he left the lights on, but otherwise still a good battery, then it would probably kick over. If the battery is literally dead, or has too much internal resistance to it, then it won't quite generate enough power to start, or stay running at the very least. I have worn myself out in that situation trying to get the bike going.

In truth, I have had way better luck bump starting a dead Hawk than kick starting one.

Oh the bump start, haven't heard that term in a while. Us manual drivers have the advantage.

Rcsup1 04-30-2020 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogieboy (Post 335552)
10 is a bit light for the starter application, its rated for up to 85a for under 4ft runs, if i were doing a battery cable on my bike, i would go 8ga minimum, probably 6, given i have easy access to all sizes of wire working at a small engine shop ( i have several feet of 4-8ga in my tool box...LOL)

8 ga would bump you up to 150a handling... that may well be the issue right there, along with double checking your grounds are good and clean, and TIGHT on all cables....

Thanks for the info. I have some 8 gauge but not sure if I have enough. What if I double up the 10 gauge on the ground and power side of the starter?

Meaning I run two 10gauge ground cables to the battery and two 10 gauge power cables battery to solenoid, solenoid to starter .

bogieboy 04-30-2020 10:23 PM

If you have a bunch of 10, you can multiples, to equal conductor size, an 8ga wire is roughly 3 or 4 10s from memory...

Megadan 05-01-2020 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willardnigma (Post 335564)
Oh the bump start, haven't heard that term in a while. Us manual drivers have the advantage.

5 vehicles between my girl and I, only one automatic which is her old Volvo wagon winter beater.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogieboy (Post 335598)
If you have a bunch of 10, you can multiples, to equal conductor size, an 8ga wire is roughly 3 or 4 10s from memory...

Two 10's is equivalent to a 7ga.
4 10's is effectively a 4ga

bogieboy 05-01-2020 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megadan (Post 335603)
5 vehicles between my girl and I, only one automatic which is her old Volvo wagon winter beater.

Two 10's is equivalent to a 7ga.
4 10's is effectively a 4ga

guess i am a sucker for overkill, as i run 4ga on my mower, and 6ga on my bike....LOL

Rcsup1 05-01-2020 11:41 AM

Thanks guys I'll give it a shoot and report back once the new battery gets here.