ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Help with my Zongshen X-Ranger? (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=1808)

culcune 10-28-2007 11:49 PM

I'm sorry that Qlink did that to you. Perhaps you could call them yourself? Since it is a Zongshen, just tell people who ask you that it is a Zongshen. As for your local Qlink dealer doing nothing for you, perhaps "people on ludes should not (work on bikes)"

pumpkin 10-29-2007 12:42 AM

that's the same dealer i bought my lifan from. i'll not go back!!!! even before this q-link thing with sam they turned me off.

by the way sam if you need help call me .

red2003 10-29-2007 08:06 AM

Any luck Sam. That really looks like a simple fix. I gotta believe one good whack with a sledge and it'll move right back. BTW, my Roketa frame arrived with several dents and dings in it. Both gas tank mounts were caved in a good 1/2 in. Enough that I had to shim them out to reach the tank mounts. No sign of cracks in the paint so it was obviously assembled that way. It arrived at my house in a crate (no damage) so it wasn't from a wreck. I wonder if these frames are "seconds" from some other manufacturer?? Just a thought. My kids China 110 rear sub frame is bent twice as much as yours. Has been from day one.

SamM 10-29-2007 12:54 PM

Thanks guys! First, let me say that I don't like to bad mouth dealers and people on the internet. I suppose that's what it appears I have done but technically, I have never done that! I never named either of the QLink dealerships in question, so I don't feel as if I have done them any damage. Word of mouth and their actions will do that without my help. QLink is a different story. They could have done the right thing here but chose not to! That does not make for good business practices. I'm still a little upset, I hoped they would but deep down I never expected them to fix the bike. What chaps my butt is the fact that the local dealership had my bike for almost 2 months and ended up doing nothing. That is very wrong in my opinion! And then to damage the bike to top it all off, that is reprehensible! If I wasn't pulling off all the stickers anyway, I'd be livid! They knew the shifter seal was leaking and never ordered a replacement. What's up with that! I had to order and pay for that myself. Sure, they offered to warranty the seal but I had to leave the bike. Why would I do that? And why would they warranty the seal, supposedly caused by the same drop, crash or whatever that caused the broken frame. It makes no sense to me!

red2003,
We won't start on it until Thursday, so there is nothing to report yet. I tried to pull it with a comealong but it sprang back into position. It may take some heat to get it to stay in place. My thought is to cut one of the steel supports and then bend the frame into position and reweld it.

pumpkin,
I'll let you know! Hopefully Thursday is D-day and we'll be able to fix it.

I'll let you guys know what happens!

red2003 10-29-2007 01:51 PM

Best of luck Sam. Heat should help. I'd get it a little past where you want it with the come-a-longs, heat the areas that need to bend then give it a good whack with a sledge hammer and block of wood. I bet you wont need to cut and reweld anything. I know how you feel about wanting things to look good, and I respect that. I about cried the day I flopped the Roketa. Up until then there wasn't a scratch on it. I washed it after every ride, waxed it once a month, etc. Then it came to me, "it's a freakin' dual sport bike, not a Rolls Royce!" I threw it back together (thanks for the parts, again)and ride proudly with the battle scars. Gives it some character. Now when I pull into a gas station to fill up, people don't ask, "What is a R-O-K-E-T-A?", they say, "What the hell happened??" Makes for good conversation :D .

SamM 10-29-2007 03:37 PM

Yes, I tend to want things to be nice when it comes to my bikes. When I was a kid I used to draw. I was pretty good and won a few awards for my artwork. But I was too much of a perfectionist to enjoy it. Nothing was good enough for me and I redid most of my work numerous times before the final version was shown to anyone. I was too critical of my own work. In the end, I gave up on art because it wasn't a healthy outlet for me. The perfectionist wouldn't allow the creative side to come out. That sounds deep but it really isn't. When the Zongshen gets trashed, I'll repaint it and redo what needs to be done. This little bike will let me be a little creative in my own way and that's what I enjoy the most about bikes. Making them work for you as an owner. It doesn't have to be perfect or work for the next guy. You make a good point! These bikes are dualsports and we are going to take them places people take off-road bikes. It won't stay perfect very long!

I agree heat is going to help. It may be the key to making the bends stay. The frame will spring back when pulled. If I heat the frame and then pull it and let it cool naturally, it should be just as strong. Perhaps I can even get it into the proper shape during this process.

We'll see!

culcune 10-29-2007 06:47 PM

My Jetmoto had been apart several times before the original engine went south, and it was then that I realized it will never look perfect again. It sat for over a year, then had the new engine installed, and it still looked okay, but not perfect. Now that the new engine had tranny problems, it is very tempting to use the bike for target practice! However, I would donate the bike to "Mythbusters" provided the myth they were trying to prove/disprove somehow involved large explosions like the episode in which they blew up the cement truck, or the other episode where they shot various firearms at the pig carcass to prove or disprove whether or not a body goes flying if shot with a large enough caliber gun like in the movies.

AZ200cc 10-30-2007 06:56 PM

I'm with Red on this one, You will get it fixed quickly with some heat and elbow grease. 8)

SamM 10-30-2007 10:55 PM

Yes we will! My buddy Curt is going to help me on this one. I really like this bike and I don't want to screw it up, so he's going to handle it for me. I'm there to lend a hand and learn. He welds very well and works in the automotive industry. He also teachs automotive repair so he knows his stuff. We should get it fixed in no time on Thursday.

I'll post the results Thursday evening.

SamM 10-30-2007 11:01 PM

I rode the Zongshen to work tonight. A few minutes ago I started removing the QLink stickers. The bike runs great but needs tuned a little. It has a slight hestitation when getting on the throttle and sputters at highspeed in 5th gear WOT. The idle is too high when stopping at a stoplight or slowing down. After a few seconds it settles down.

Any thoughts?

The bike has a Mikuni carburetor. Does anyone have any experince tuning one of these. I've messed with the bigger Mikuni HSR42 & 45 carbs on my Buells but nothing this small.

red2003 10-31-2007 07:58 AM

You definately have a lean condition going on there Sam. The lean at idle can be cured with a turn (out) of the fuel screw. I can't remember if the Mikuni carbs have a fuel screw (bottom front of carb) or an air screw (back side of carb). If it's an air screw, give it a half turn IN, if it's a fuel screw, half turn OUT. Re-ride and see what's different. That idle "rev" is definately being caused by a lean condition and a high speed stumble is no doubt the same cause. You might want to check for an air leak somewhere around the carb. If no leaks, a bigger main jet is definately in order. Easy enough to get for that carb. Any cycle shop should have them right in stock. I'd go 2 sizes over and see what that feels like.

SamM 10-31-2007 08:54 AM

Excellent red2003! That's what I needed. The bike runs great other than the things I mentioned. It's not a big deal but I do need to take care of it. I'm going to try to pick up some fork oil today for my old Jialing Viva inverted forks.

I just found a set of 21/18" steel wheels, hubs, and rotors for sale locally. As soon as the seller tells me what he wants for them..., I'll probably get those for it! :wink: The rear wheel hub is set up for a disc brake and I have all that leftover from my Viva. Who knows I may try to make that work later this winter. I'd rather have aluminum wheels though! Of course 17" wheels would be nice too!

CathastrophiX 10-31-2007 09:32 AM

If it has the same Mikuni as the Qingqis, the fuel mixture screw is on the top front of the carb. If it's tight to get to, you can use a screwdriver bit to turn it.

red2003 10-31-2007 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CathastrophiX
If it has the same Mikuni as the Qingqis, the fuel mixture screw is on the top front of the carb. If it's tight to get to, you can use a screwdriver bit to turn it.

If it is on the top FRONT like CathastrophiX says, then it's a fuel screw. You need to turn it OUT to richen the low speed mixture. Should cure the idle rev.

SamM 11-01-2007 07:44 AM

Had a little set back already this morning! My buddy called and has a job that just came up today. We may get time to work on the bike later today.

I've had an even bigger set back. Next Monday morning, I'll be having arthroscopic surgery on my left shoulder. I'll be off a bike for at least 2 months and maybe up to 6 months. Totally sucks but I must have this done! Check the Misc. Section.

Major bummer!

Hey, thanks for the carb information guys!