ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Other Brands (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   New left over 2014 CRF250L (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15063)

SpudRider 08-24-2015 01:53 AM

I must admit, I can't believe Honda is recommending 8,000 miles as an oil change interval. :wtf: The engine in my Zongshen RX3 is very similiar, and has a capacity of 1.7 quarts of oil. Yet Zongshen recommends an oil change every 2,500 miles. :shrug:

pete 08-24-2015 03:29 AM

A lot of work for a small amount of oil......

fratermus 08-24-2015 09:53 AM

I really like the CRF. Seems like a good bike at a fair price and the ergos fit me well.

I'm seeing holdovers in my area at a good discount but I don't have the scratch to get one.

Weldangrind 08-24-2015 11:07 AM

I agree with Spud and Pete. I would target about 20 hours for an oil change, not 80 hours. BTW, that's with a liquid cooled bike that has a filtered crankcase vent. On a more primitive air cooled bike (like all of my junk), I target 10 hours.

andyj812 08-24-2015 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkrider (Post 190626)
Ok Andy...get out of my head!!!!! The mods you are doing are the exact same ones i wanted to do when i was looking at getting a CRF250 last fall lol. But im sure i will own one eventually. Funny enough you can get the same DRC Edge taillight that Spud has on his Sierra specifically for your CRF.

Used CRF250L's should be coming for sale more and more. I'm sure you will find one. I like LED lighting, so I probably will be changing over the signal lights to LED this winter when I'm bored and wishing It was warm enough to ride. The windshield was expensive but I hope it helps. I couldn't find many options as for as windshields go. I liked the looks of this one:http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/imag...windshield.jpg

this windshield is almost half the price of the on I ordered but holes must be drilled in the fairing to support it and the fairing is the only thing that supports it.

andyj812 08-24-2015 05:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The brush guards came in from Amazon today so I installed them before work. These are generic brush guards and don't seem to be the best quality buy not the worst. I really don't have anything to compare them to. I put brush guards on my will but they were cheap mostly cosmetic ones of all plastic construction an only 1 support from handle bars. These from amazon are aluminum with the plastic molded around them into 1 piece. The clamps mounting them the handle bars are adequate but the bar end inserts would not expand enough to go tight. The finish on the plastic is not as nice as I would like it to be but they will do for as long as the hold up. If and when it comes time to replace them I will go with something different.

andyj812 08-24-2015 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 190643)
I must admit, I can't believe Honda is recommending 8,000 miles as an oil change interval. :wtf: The engine in my Zongshen RX3 is very similiar, and has a capacity of 1.7 quarts of oil. Yet Zongshen recommends an oil change every 2,500 miles. :shrug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete (Post 190644)
A lot of work for a small amount of oil......

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 190657)
I agree with Spud and Pete. I would target about 20 hours for an oil change, not 80 hours. BTW, that's with a liquid cooled bike that has a filtered crankcase vent. On a more primitive air cooled bike (like all of my junk), I target 10 hours.

I was thinking about every 1500 miles, oil and filters are cheap compared to engine components. I changed the oil in "Will" 4 times in the almost 1000 miles I rode it.

Weldangrind 08-24-2015 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyj812 (Post 190677)
The clamps mounting them the handle bars are adequate but the bar end inserts would not expand enough to go tight.

If you switch to aluminum bars, the inserts will probably be tight enough. Aluminum bars typically have a smaller ID, since they need to be thicker than steel bars.

Darkrider 08-25-2015 05:41 PM

The big reason for the 8000 km oil change interval is the fact that a lot of new vehicles nowadays come straight out of the factory with synthetic oil in them. Which allows for much longer intervals. Im sure you are correct on finding a used one Andy i have already seen a few on Kijiji for 3K and less. And Yea you are probably correct on the hand guards Weld.

andyj812 08-25-2015 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 190690)
If you switch to aluminum bars, the inserts will probably be tight enough. Aluminum bars typically have a smaller ID, since they need to be thicker than steel bars.

t
I'm gonna stick with the stock bars for now. I may have to locktite on the handguards. the clamp bolts on the right came loose after 65 miles. I may be able to tack weld some nuts with a similar diameter to the inside of the bar ends to have something to bolt to.

andyj812 08-28-2015 07:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
CeRF's windshield came in today (I named the beast CeRF, I know I don't get any point for originality there.) The windshield is nicely made and went on in about 15 minutes with absolutely no alignment issues. Its bigger than I thought it would be. It does a great job deflecting the wind around me. I'm not sure that I like the way that it looks on CeRF, but it works.

SpudRider 08-28-2015 07:58 PM

Those windshields have a good reputation for being well designed, and working well. :)

Louis Angel 08-28-2015 08:14 PM

Looks good dude. :tup:

andyj812 08-28-2015 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis Angel (Post 191007)
Looks good dude. :tup:

Thanks, I'd like to see some more pics of you bike, I"ll have 585 miles on CeRF when I get home tonight, time for the 600 mile oil change. Its starting to break in and finding first is getting easier. still getting used to the gearing much tighter than Wills.

andyj812 08-28-2015 09:10 PM

I'm considering ordering a 3.1 gallon aftermarket fuel tank. I can't make up my mind. Its a little over a gallon bigger then the factory tank. I'm currently getting between 52 and 78 mpg. On the highway its been between 52 and 55 and putting around the back roads and on the trails I got 78 mpg. The cheapest I have found a tank (natural color) is $209, that's a lot of money just to not have to fill up as often.