ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   TaoTao HELLCAT 125 speedometer From KMH TO MPH? (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=22010)

Chromehead22 09-05-2018 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 289810)
This one has the gear indicators and turn signal. and looks Identical to the stock speedo. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0716TGCRT...d_i=B0716TGCRT

That is a nice one! Wonder how plug n play they would be??? Wiring is not my specialty. LOL

JerryHawk250 09-05-2018 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromehead22 (Post 289815)
That is a nice one! Wonder how plug n play they would be??? Wiring is not my specialty. LOL

We'll see when ShiftDX gets his in. I be willing to bet the wire color codes match up.

Chinabike 09-05-2018 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromehead22 (Post 289815)

This one is good also. 4 speed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYK10Q2...v_ov_lig_dp_it

JerryHawk250 09-05-2018 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinabike (Post 289846)

After looking at both Speedos it looks like they are the same one. Just that one doesn't have the picture with gears and turn signal lit up but the description is the same.

ShiftDX 09-05-2018 08:16 PM

Nice, thanks for the point in the right direction JerryHawk. The one you sent me will be the one I get, I like the colors it can be set to as well. I’ll post some updates when parts finally come in the mail. I would assume they would be pretty much plug and play, but for that price really can’t beat it.

JerryHawk250 09-06-2018 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShiftDX (Post 289866)
Nice, thanks for the point in the right direction JerryHawk. The one you sent me will be the one I get, I like the colors it can be set to as well. I’ll post some updates when parts finally come in the mail. I would assume they would be pretty much plug and play, but for that price really can’t beat it.

Unlike the stock speedo at least you will be able to calibrate it to be dead on accurate.

ShiftDX 09-12-2018 08:09 PM

New speedometer success

Got my speedometer in today, almost plug n play. The stock speedo has a female plug leading to the speedo wire, where as the new speedo has the male plug instead. All I did was hack off the plugs and swap them. Seems to be working nicely. Nice and bright! Also had two more single wires I didn’t find homes for on the new speedo but I just taped them off. Everything seems to be working as in indicators too. Not a bad buy.

Chromehead22 09-21-2018 10:40 AM

Glad to see you were able to find a small workaround!

I had an update on the speedometer in the 2018 Hellcat models. According to the online rep I bought my bike from they have contacted TaoTao and TaoTao is aware the speedometer does not have the availability in the current 2018 models to be switched from MPH to KPH. TaoTao says they are looking into this. Did a little further research and it appears that vehicles sold in the US are required to have the availability to do so according to the following information from NHTSA (sorry for the small print, as it is cut and pasted). "all vehicles sold in the U.S. must display vehicle speeds in mph, or mph and km/h these vehicles fail to fully meet the requirements set forth in paragraph S5.2.1 of FMVSS No. 101."

I hope they will honor sending replacement units to be exchanged out to current 2018 buyers.

culcune 01-12-2019 12:01 PM

Someone on youtube stated that if you hold down the left button until it blinks, and then push the right button, it will change. Not sure if anyone knew about this and tried it, or that is for a different year's Hellcat speedo? Or it simply does not work?

Medic 02-24-2019 04:44 AM

Hey guess bringing up an old thread here. Just bought a 2019 Hellcat (first post as well).
I work for a Yamaha dealer we just started caring this things a month ago. Anyways Im the parts manager. My bike does the same thing. So i will be calling our supplier and will be getting a fix for the issue. Will keep updated!!!

Ogmagi 03-07-2019 01:24 PM

Tao motors will replace speedo

Just call tao motors and they will approve the replacement no issue....make sure you know weather your plug is Male or female because they carry both

Chromehead22 03-13-2019 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogmagi (Post 302579)
Just call tao motors and they will approve the replacement no issue....make sure you know weather your plug is Male or female because they carry both

I have been trying for months to get a replacement. No one answers at there posted phone #, nor will they call you back.

Has anyone successfully gotten a replacement in hand? If so, how?

Medic 03-17-2019 04:25 PM

So i feel dumb i could never find this post again till just now.

I work for a Yamaha, textron/Acrtic Cat/ Can-Am, Husky dealer. We just started to carry rival and tao tao products. I called our rep and it was no issue had it in about 4 days. Will see if We can start providing or at least give ou guys a direct number! They are aware of issue and no problem replacing.

scoot newb 03-20-2019 05:55 AM

Any updates on a good number to call for a replacement?

Tswan0910 04-03-2019 11:37 PM

So I have a taotao hellcat as well and had to buy the samdo speedometer too. You say it was plug and play but when I first plugged mine in the 3rd and 4th gear wires needed swapped around (no big deal) just curious if you had to do that? Also my speedo is reading zero after the plug swap. Did yours work right away or maybe I got a defective speedo? Also what calibration setting do you have? Any help would be appreciated