ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   JerryHawk250's Lifan KPX250 (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=31083)

JerryHawk250 10-24-2022 11:36 AM

Thanks. :tup:

IdahoRider 10-24-2022 11:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
It didn't register in my mind when I saw it yesterday, but looking at the pictures again now, it looks like the washer is split at the top of the left fork. Looks like I'm going to be taking the cap off and have another look. :hmm: Yep, nut was way over tightened to the point where the bolt is starting to split as well. Will see what Venom has to say.

Attachment 27743

Attachment 27744

Jay93 10-24-2022 02:15 PM

Lever replacement options

Hey guys! Anyone know and after market levers for the kpx? Preferably a little shorter. I just have no clue how to go about knowing if they’ll fit.

JerryHawk250 10-24-2022 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay93 (Post 385614)
Hey guys! Anyone know and after market levers for the kpx? Preferably a little shorter. I just have no clue how to go about knowing if they’ll fit.

Replace with Universal levers. I've used these on several bikes. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FC8ZG54...SIN=B08FC8ZG54

IdahoRider 10-25-2022 11:44 AM

I've been in contact with Kenny and Garie at Venom. They asked for pictures and why I decided to change the oil, waiting to see what they decide to do to resolve this. In the meantime I let them know I won't be riding the KPX.

IdahoRider 10-26-2022 01:30 PM

After 10 email exchanges and three days, they finally figured out they need to figure out how and if the parts are available. This is exactly why most people are going to be hesitant about buying relatively unknown brands. I'll give them the day to see what they figure out then contact Lifan myself. Ironic that Lifan America headquarters are an hour away from Venom's Southern California warehouse and they seemingly don't have the parts/warranty replacement logistics figured out.

IdahoRider 10-28-2022 01:06 PM

Got a message from Venom this morning that they've shipped out a 14 pound package via UPS so I'm assuming they are sending a complete fork replacement. Has been frustrating, not knowing if their warranty coverage would be reliable but so far they have come through.

JerryHawk250 10-28-2022 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdahoRider (Post 385792)
Got a message from Venom this morning that they've shipped out a 14 pound package via UPS so I'm assuming they are sending a complete fork replacement. Has been frustrating, not knowing if their warranty coverage would be reliable but so far they have come through.

Awesome! So far it looks like Venom and Lifan has taken care of the few issues that have come up.

IdahoRider 10-28-2022 01:16 PM

I re explained that I changed the fork oil for tuning reasons, and that there was no "dismantling" involved.

"Don't worry as we have requested to get the part shipped to you for free. We've covered it under your warranty, but hopefully moving forward, if you think there's something wrong with the bike, notify us first before you disassemble because you might void your warranty. Technically because you dismantled the front shock without informing us, that definitely voids the warranty. We are here to help you, and if a new part that's covered by your warranty is needed, we can definitely help"

JerryHawk250 10-28-2022 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdahoRider (Post 385794)
I re explained that I changed the fork oil for tuning reasons, and that there was no "dismantling" involved.

"Don't worry as we have requested to get the part shipped to you for free. We've covered it under your warranty, but hopefully moving forward, if you think there's something wrong with the bike, notify us first before you disassemble because you might void your warranty. Technically because you dismantled the front shock without informing us, that definitely voids the warranty. We are here to help you, and if a new part that's covered by your warranty is needed, we can definitely help"

Let them know that checking the suspension is part of the maintenance schedule. You have to remove the caps to inspect fork oil. ;)

IdahoRider 10-28-2022 03:16 PM

Yeah I let them know all I did was remove the caps and replace the same amount of oil I removed with a quality 10w. Ironic they seemed more worried about that than the condition of the shock assembly and that I actually will be dismantling the fork to fix the problem Lifan created. :wtf:

Jay93 11-03-2022 02:37 PM

Hey guys! Just wanted to jump on and say the 39 tooth rear sprocket(JT 279.39) has transformed my bike for the better! With the stock 42 tooth i would be at about 7000-7200 rpm at 65mph (im a big guy 6’1” 240lbs) now with the 39 tooth I’ve dropped to about 6000rpm at 65mph. It also helped lengthen the very short gearing on this bike while still having plenty of grunt. I would highly suggest this mod to anyone who rides their bike faster than 55mph for any length of time.

IdahoRider 11-03-2022 04:36 PM

Were you able to use the stock 108 link chain? I was concerned that the chain would rub against the top of the swing arm, so that is not an issue?

IdahoRider 11-03-2022 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdahoRider (Post 385800)
Yeah I let them know all I did was remove the caps and replace the same amount of oil I removed with a quality 10w. Ironic they seemed more worried about that than the condition of the shock assembly and that I actually will be dismantling the fork to fix the problem Lifan created. :wtf:

They ended up sending me the complete right fork leg, not just the internal suspension cartridge. I was a little worried that they didn't seem too confident in being able to replace the fork initially but they came through. Looking forward to just being able ride (weather allowing) and being done with the initial maintenance and tuning.

Jay93 11-04-2022 04:32 PM

Idaho, seems to work fine with the stock chain once tensioned correctly.

JerryHawk250 11-04-2022 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay93 (Post 386013)
Idaho, seems to work fine with the stock chain once tensioned correctly.

That good to know. :tup:

lprewitt 11-05-2022 11:23 AM

Bark Buster Install

JerryHawk250, sorry to divert the thread back to a previous post but I have a question on which Bark Busters you installed on your KPX. I ordered an Acerbis set of hand guards and the bar end adapters won't fit due to the threaded end on the KPX bars. (I did remove the bar end weights thanks to your helpful info on the Loctite, heat and impact driver). So, I'll be sending back the Acerbis guards and want to order the Bark Busters. Your previous link to Amazon no longer takes me to Bark Busters. If you can repost a link or let me know which Bark Busters you ordered I thank you in advance. Also, I'm guessing you did not drill out the bar end threads for the new Bark Busters. :hmm: Thanks.

IdahoRider 11-05-2022 11:30 AM

The link from his YouTube installation video still works.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H2VHLP9...p_mob_ap_share

JerryHawk250 11-05-2022 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lprewitt (Post 386048)
JerryHawk250, sorry to divert the thread back to a previous post but I have a question on which Bark Busters you installed on your KPX. I ordered an Acerbis set of hand guards and the bar end adapters won't fit due to the threaded end on the KPX bars. (I did remove the bar end weights thanks to your helpful info on the Loctite, heat and impact driver). So, I'll be sending back the Acerbis guards and want to order the Bark Busters. Your previous link to Amazon no longer takes me to Bark Busters. If you can repost a link or let me know which Bark Busters you ordered I thank you in advance. Also, I'm guessing you did not drill out the bar end threads for the new Bark Busters. :hmm: Thanks.

JFG RACING Handguards Hand Guards... https://amzn.to/3QpwpAl

lprewitt 11-05-2022 01:29 PM

Thanks so much for the quick response. Did you have to drill out the inside of the KPX bars to get it to work after the bar weights were removed?

JerryHawk250 11-05-2022 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lprewitt (Post 386054)
Thanks so much for the quick response. Did you have to drill out the inside of the KPX bars to get it to work after the bar weights were removed?

No sir, they were a good tight fit.

Discoveror 11-06-2022 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 380442)
For those who just happen to pick up the KPX 250, I entered the bike information on gear commander just in case you decide to swap sprockets. https://www.gearingcommander.com/

The specs state max hp @ 7500 rpm's which I think is low because the bike pulls hard to up around 8500-9000 rpms which was evident as my top speed run so far was 76 mph was at around the 8500 rpm mark.

First gear looks great for off-road i.e. ~2,000 - 4,000 rpm for 5 - 10 mph.

6th gear looks short for sustained highway use i.e. ~6,700 rpm @ 60 mph; that would be really spinnin'.

Discoveror 11-06-2022 02:32 PM

sag

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 382603)
once on the bike the rear shock has enough sag to where I can almost flat foot it.

Jerry, absent suspension travel and spring rate specs, would you measure the static vs. mounted sag?

Thanks SO much ...

JerryHawk250 11-07-2022 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discoveror (Post 386080)
Jerry, absent suspension travel and spring rate specs, would you measure the static vs. mounted sag?

Thanks SO much ...

I'll see if i can get you that this week.

JerryHawk250 11-07-2022 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discoveror (Post 386076)
First gear looks great for off-road i.e. ~2,000 - 4,000 rpm for 5 - 10 mph.

6th gear looks short for sustained highway use i.e. ~6,700 rpm @ 60 mph; that would be really spinnin'.

Some here have opted to using a 39 tooth rear sprocket. I never really planned on using the bike as strictly street bike. It will see more back road and off road riding.

Discoveror 11-07-2022 03:47 PM

sag

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 386104)
I'll see if i can get you that this week.

thanks SO much, Jerry; you're a prince among paupers! :thanks:

YouTube offers videos on correctly measuring sag; they seem to consistently agree that static sag (from just the bike's own weight on its suspension) should be ~10% of the suspension travel. With a rider (and ALL gear), sag should be ~30% of the suspension travel. Of course, Lifan specs don't declare front/rear suspension travel, either. ;)

Why do I ask? Many (most?) major motorcycle manufacturers seem to offer VERY soft suspensions (to appeal to new riders?); the Honda CRF300L/Rally is most noted for WAY too soft suspension ... which bottoms out with anyone heavier than a Leprechaun aboard, especially going more than softly over bumps etc. ... and which must be replaced/fitted to rider weight (BIG $bucks$ ... maybe $2,000?) for anyone heavier than said Leprechauns. :yay:

In gear (full space suit), I weigh about 220 pounds (6'2", 35" inseam); with any travel gear it could easily reach 250 pounds, I'd guess. Having to re-spring/rebuild a motorcycle suspension changes the total cost of ownership, $CONSIDERABLY$.

lprewitt 11-07-2022 04:39 PM

Acerbis Handguards on KPX250

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 386058)
No sir, they were a good tight fit.

Well, since I already had the Acerbis hand guards, I decided to install them. Many hours later with trips to hardware store, hand wringing frustration, and some drilling, I finally got them installed. I'll send along some pictures shortly.

JerryHawk250 11-07-2022 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lprewitt (Post 386123)
Well, since I already had the Acerbis hand guards, I decided to install them. Many hours later with trips to hardware store, hand wringing frustration, and some drilling, I finally got them installed. I'll send along some pictures shortly.

I probably would of done the same. If it doesn't fit, you need a bigger hammer. :lmao:

lprewitt 11-07-2022 04:50 PM

Picures of Acerbis Handguards on KPX250

3 Attachment(s)
Here our some pictures after the install. Sorry, no video of the install. It would have been ugly.

JerryHawk250 11-07-2022 04:51 PM

Looks good! :tup:

lprewitt 11-07-2022 05:02 PM

KPX on motorcycle carrier

1 Attachment(s)
Now I'm almost ready for the yearly trip to Arizona..... this time with the KPX250. Time for some desert riding.

Jay93 11-09-2022 03:44 PM

Hey guys! I ordered some of the MRELC 7/8” shorty levers for my kpx. Do you guys have any tips for installation? I’ve never installed levers before other then the stock ones. I’m particularly wondering about the brake side as these come with a new reservoir. Do I just unbolt the brake line from the old reservoir and reattach to the new one and fill it with dot4? As always thanks a million for everyone’s help for a noob!

JerryHawk250 11-09-2022 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay93 (Post 386171)
Hey guys! I ordered some of the MRELC 7/8” shorty levers for my kpx. Do you guys have any tips for installation? I’ve never installed levers before other then the stock ones. I’m particularly wondering about the brake side as these come with a new reservoir. Do I just unbolt the brake line from the old reservoir and reattach to the new one and fill it with dot4? As always thanks a million for everyone’s help for a noob!

That's pretty much it. Just bleed the brake system just to make sure it free of air bubbles. Brake vacuum pump from Harbor Freight works great for bleeding them out.

JerryHawk250 11-13-2022 07:09 PM

Here's my KPX and Hawk comparison video.
https://youtu.be/IM0rXnYuOAo

JerryHawk250 11-24-2022 10:30 AM

Thanksgiving morning Mod. I installed the wind deflector this morning.
https://youtu.be/SbdmnYFBL5E

Zapkin 11-24-2022 11:49 AM

Looks great on there!

Discoveror 11-24-2022 12:55 PM

KPX250 throttle response?

How is the throttle response (EFI fuel metering) on the KPX250?

I'm wondering, does it respond smoothly vs. jerky to throttle changes, particularly from idle (e.g. starting from a Stop)?

Off-road, chugging along in 1st or 2nd gear, is adding throttle a delicate undertaking without a bit of a jolt?

Happy Thanksgiving!

Discoveror 11-24-2022 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 386931)
Thanksgiving morning Mod. I installed the wind deflector this morning.

I didn't see the Source? ... under YouTube "... more".

Results will be intriguing from that small windshield. Wondering why manufacturers don't provide taller shields to deflect wind over helmets, I became aware that in accidents a taller shield could/might decapitate a rider (NOT "good" :ohno: ).

JerryHawk250 11-24-2022 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapkin (Post 386935)
Looks great on there!

Thanks

JerryHawk250 11-24-2022 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discoveror (Post 386936)
How is the throttle response (EFI fuel metering) on the KPX250?

I'm wondering, does it respond smoothly vs. jerky to throttle changes, particularly from idle (e.g. starting from a Stop)? For instance, are there conditions where the throttle launches (comes on) with a bit of a jolt?

Happy Thanksgiving!

Throttle response is smooth.