ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Dong Fang DF250RTG (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=22499)

Barnone 05-17-2020 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyzoSoupz (Post 337834)
Now, if I may ask. How often do you change oil on your motorcycles?

I go according to the owner's manual as it varies by vehicle. Look in your owner's manual. You do have an owner's manual, right?
The manufacturer should know better than me.
BTW The odometer on my DF250RTG in in kilometers.

Barnone 05-17-2020 08:58 PM

KS,
Still waiting on a photo of the left mechanism that you are having trouble with it causing the rear wheel to go out of alignment.

franque 05-18-2020 06:50 AM

There is a centrifugal oil 'slinger' and that functions to get fine metallic particles out of the oil, it is on the clutch side, and it would be a good idea to clean it out after the 1st 1000 miles or so.

Barnone 05-18-2020 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franque (Post 337890)
There is a centrifugal oil 'slinger' and that functions to get fine metallic particles out of the oil, it is on the clutch side, and it would be a good idea to clean it out after the 1st 1000 miles or so.

Not saying there is not a oil slinger on the 165FMM engine but have not found any mention of it.

JerryHawk250 05-18-2020 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnone (Post 337902)
Not saying there is not a oil slinger on the 165FMM engine but have not found any mention of it.

It has a centrifugal filter just like the CG engine.

Barnone 05-18-2020 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister104 (Post 337811)
I have owned several Honda CG and CB bikes over the past 10 years and it’s not uncommon for the rear wheel alignment to need regular adjustments.

The DF250RTG is not a clone of the Honda CG or CB motorcycles. The engine is a Honda semi clone called the 165FMM.

Look at the photos I posted of the rear wheel and tell me how the wheel can become misaligned if properly adjusted and tightened?

Certainly the wheel could become misaligned if damaged in a crash or if the owner messed up the parts.

I have two other motorcycles (and many more in the past) with the same type rear wheel attachment and never have a problem with the wheel getting out of alignment.

EDIT. Do remember owning a CB125 back in 1974 but don't remember having rear wheel alignment problems.

Barnone 05-18-2020 10:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 337904)
It has a centrifugal filter just like the CG engine.

Did find a reference to clean the centrifugal oil filter on the CG125 every 7200 miles (12,000 km) so am not going to worry about it for a while.

JerryHawk250 05-18-2020 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnone (Post 337913)
Did find a reference to clean the centrifugal oil filter on the CG125 every 7200 miles (12,000 km) so am not going to worry about it for a while.

I remember checking mine on my Hawk around 2500 miles. It was pretty clean. At 7200 miles it shouldn't be too bad if you do regular oil changes which i think you probably do. :tup:

franque 05-18-2020 11:08 AM

I was just saying after the first 1k miles because with the reputation of Chinese machining, it's better to be safe than sorry. It's just cheap insurance.

Barnone 05-18-2020 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franque (Post 337917)
I was just saying after the first 1k miles because with the reputation of Chinese machining, it's better to be safe than sorry. It's just cheap insurance.

I have had very good luck with my Chinese bikes over the years with no engine problems. I keep magnetic drain plugs in all my bikes except the DF and get very little or no metal on them. Can't find a magnetic drain plug for the DF.

franque 05-18-2020 12:33 PM

The slinger will largely do the same thing, but removes particles centrifugally, even non-ferrous particles. I'm not saying Chinese stuff is always/usually bad, it's more that surface finish isn't as fine equivalent Japanese stuff, which leads to more particles; Honda wouldn't have included it in the original design if it wasn't needed. You could probably get a thread gauge on the drain plug and find one that will work, or else cut the threads to something that'll work.

Geaux-T 05-18-2020 12:58 PM

I started a DF250RTG Club group on Facebook if any of y'all like to join

Barnone 05-18-2020 02:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by franque (Post 337928)
The slinger will largely do the same thing, but removes particles centrifugally, even non-ferrous particles. I'm not saying Chinese stuff is always/usually bad, it's more that surface finish isn't as fine equivalent Japanese stuff, which leads to more particles; Honda wouldn't have included it in the original design if it wasn't needed. You could probably get a thread gauge on the drain plug and find one that will work, or else cut the threads to something that'll work.

I am sure Honda copied the oil slinger from someone like BMW and others who who used them way before WWII.

Remember that was an idea used a long time ago before oil filters as we know them today.

I am very familiar with magnetic drain plugs as I have been using them for years in my tractors, trucks, autos,motorcycles,etc.

The problem with finding one for the DF's engine is that the only oil drain is the large fitting that cover the area of the filter screen. There is no other drain plug which is fine since you can drain the oil and clean the filter just by removing the one bolt. I might have found one on Ebay but am waiting for a reply from the seller. Have some other ideas but will wait on the Ebay seller.

Or something like this small enough to fit there underneath the spring.
https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-Oi.../dp/B007GM1JKA

franque 05-18-2020 02:47 PM

Yes, the slinger is an old idea, though it's usually based in the crankshaft itself (and if I remember correctly, it only cleans what it whips up from the crankcase), while Honda's idea is a little different in that it driven by the crank, with the oil it receives pushed through by the pump. I can post up a picture of the oil circulation circuit from Honda if you're interested.

JerryHawk250 05-18-2020 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnone (Post 337944)
The problem with finding one for the DF's engine is that the only oil drain is the large fitting that cover the area of the filter screen. There is no other drain plug which is fine since you can drain the oil and clean the filter just by removing the one bolt. I might have found one on Ebay but am waiting for a reply from the seller. Have some other ideas but will wait on the Ebay seller.

Yeah, i discovered the same thing on my first oil change. I was crawling all around the bike looking for the drain plug. lol

Geaux-T 05-19-2020 10:30 AM

Has anyone ordered their bike from Redbox Powersports? If so how long did it take to get your bill of sale. I still haven't got mine and it seems impossible to contact anyone over there.

JerryHawk250 05-19-2020 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geaux-T (Post 338054)
Has anyone ordered their bike from Redbox Powersports? If so how long did it take to get your bill of sale. I still haven't got mine and it seems impossible to contact anyone over there.

I've read some bad review on them. Hope you don't have any issues getting it.

KyzoSoupz 05-20-2020 02:52 AM

Hey guys guess what, I found a 6 speed gear set near for the Chinese version of the cb250. Idk if it will work, I hope it does fit the cb250 Chinese engine.

https://m.alibaba.com/product/608059..._140x140xz.jpg

franque 05-20-2020 03:37 AM

There's a chance it'll work, but you'll have to get rid of the kickstarter at the very least, if it will work. I'm fairly certain no one has taken the chance on a 6-speed gear set on this forum, but swapping a transmission is a complicated affair, since you're relatively new to wrenching, I'd get an extra motor before attempting this, so you don't turn your bike into an expensive paperweight. You'd also need a new shift drum, shifter star, and shift forks, along with everything to split the cases, too.

Barnone 05-20-2020 08:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by franque (Post 338146)
There's a chance it'll work, but you'll have to get rid of the kickstarter at the very least, if it will work. I'm fairly certain no one has taken the chance on a 6-speed gear set on this forum, but swapping a transmission is a complicated affair, since you're relatively new to wrenching, I'd get an extra motor before attempting this, so you don't turn your bike into an expensive paperweight. You'd also need a new shift drum, shifter star, and shift forks, along with everything to split the cases, too.

What kickstarter? I do agree that adding a sixth gear would be a waste of time trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Barnone 05-20-2020 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geaux-T (Post 338054)

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/riverside/...381/complaints

JerryHawk250 05-20-2020 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnone (Post 338155)

I agree with this. Cancel and order from a reputable dealer like Belmontebikes or Venom Motor Sports. Same owners so either one will be good. Venom will give you $50 off if you use the JERRYHAWK250 discount code. ;) https://www.venommotorsportsusa.com/...16024167907430

KyzoSoupz 05-20-2020 10:05 AM

Well I was planning on getting another cb250d-g engine for 300 which isn't bad at all. I'm trying to find as much spare parts as possible just in case. I am trying to study and learn how to add extra gearing in a motorcycle transmission. Yea doesn't look easy but the clutch changeing deal looks easy and my dad says it's very easy. I'm getting extra clutch kit for down the road. No need to change way any time soon. Currently trying to find drum breaks for my DF250RTG, they are worn out faster than I needed them to. Idk how because I try to use as much engine breaking as possible with some breaking to help save some breaks.

Anyways the 6th gear set, they say it's for the Chinese cb250, they have a 5 speed set as well with the same exact size fitting with one less gear. I kinda want one more gear for only highway use. To be honest I'm actually happy with the bike I have currently. I just feel the df deserves a 6th gear because my bike runs out 5 pretty easily... which still surprises me for a 223... I was actually expecting it to have a difficult time reaching 50mph but nope.... handes it pretty well. I also discovered the bike managed to handed pouring ass rain without any issue so far..... very very happy with my little puts cycle lol. It almost reminds me a little of the mutt motorcycles lol

KyzoSoupz 05-20-2020 10:07 AM

I really love my motorcycle, lessons learned while having a Chinese motorcycle is dont judge by whom the product or machine is made from. Even if they got a bad rep. Dont judge because you might get a suprize

Barnone 05-20-2020 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyzoSoupz (Post 338172)
Well I was planning on getting another cb250d-g engine for 300 which isn't bad at all. I'm trying to find as much spare parts as possible just in case. I am trying to study and learn how to add extra gearing in a motorcycle transmission. Yea doesn't look easy but the clutch changeing deal looks easy and my dad says it's very easy. I'm getting extra clutch kit for down the road. No need to change way any time soon. Currently trying to find drum breaks for my DF250RTG, they are worn out faster than I needed them to. Idk how because I try to use as much engine breaking as possible with some breaking to help save some breaks.

Anyways the 6th gear set, they say it's for the Chinese cb250, they have a 5 speed set as well with the same exact size fitting with one less gear. I kinda want one more gear for only highway use. To be honest I'm actually happy with the bike I have currently. I just feel the df deserves a 6th gear because my bike runs out 5 pretty easily... which still surprises me for a 223... I was actually expecting it to have a difficult time reaching 50mph but nope.... handes it pretty well. I also discovered the bike managed to handed pouring ass rain without any issue so far..... very very happy with my little puts cycle lol. It almost reminds me a little of the mutt motorcycles lol

Have you already worn out your DF's rear brake shoes? I find that hard to believe. Do you use your front brake?
If you want to change the DF's gearing for more top speed then get a rear sprocket with less teeth, much easier than messing with the transmission.

culcune 05-20-2020 10:47 AM

There is a thread in the 'dual-sport/enduro' section of a member who installed a Loncin NE250 engine in his Hawk which he ordered from Ebay or Amazon. The NE250 has a 6-speed transmission. The recently released Kayo T4 dual-sport comes stock with this same engine (I am guessing, but it is the only 6-speed CB/CG style engine out there available in the US) www.kayomoto.com/dirt-bike/t/t4-enduro/

If you have the $700 to play with, it might be an interesting project for you to install into your bike. However, you should be able to get close to the effect of an extra gear by playing with your sprockets. 17 front and 39 rear might be as high gearing as you can get, although that is taking into consideration a dual-sport's 21/18" wheel setup, so perhaps with your 17/17" wheels, there is a better sprocket combination setup for your bike that someone could chime in on.

KyzoSoupz 05-20-2020 02:47 PM

Yes I use both brakes all the time except when I am trail braking.

Barnone 05-20-2020 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyzoSoupz (Post 338221)
Yes I use both brakes all the time except when I am trail braking.

Have you worn out your DF's rear brake shoes?

Megadan 05-21-2020 04:44 AM

Just to toss in some reality to the 6 speed gear set conversation. It's not as easy as you think. Outside of the gear sets you will also need the right shift selector pawl/fork selector drum, shift forks, and other small parts. You will need to know your clutch shaft diameter and spline count, main and counter shaft lengths, bearing dimensions, and countershaft length for the sprocket side.

Believe me, I did a lot of reading and researching on this subject and I still couldn't come up with good answers. The only way to know for sure what you will need would be to tear down the motor.

Culcune stated the best/easiest way to get that 6th gear and that is the RE250 engine, which also has a gear driven counter balancer. The front lower and upper mount positions are slightly different from a non balanced motor, so some changes will be required there.

Currently the price on the motor in question is through the roof at 1800 bucks, as are all of the engines from China right now. I can only assume due to shipping issues as all other goods now have high shipping costs as well. So, a cheaper solution it is not at this point.

I agree with Barnone though, the 6th gear isn't entirely needed. It appeals to us dual sport guys gecause it gives us the ability to run bigger sprockets out back for better torque off road in the low gears while still being able to have a good highway gear. For a road bike, you can get away with a smaller rear sprocket much more easily.

Geaux-T 05-21-2020 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnone (Post 338155)

Finally got an email from them saying they mailed out my bill of sale

RedCrowRides 05-21-2020 08:13 PM

I'm currently waiting ( and waiting, and waiting ) on some parts from China ,the cost went up a small amount, the Shipping cost went up ,but what REALLY went crazy was the actual Shipping time frame.It was already slow at up to a month before COVID19, but as of right now I am being told 8 - 10 weeks ,and it isn't just China, the parts from Thailand also seem to have been hit by this doubling ( or more) of shipping time.

It's only May 21 right now and i'm already seriously concerned that i wont get my build finished by Sept when ( hopefully ) the Fall variant of our local Florida Thunder Beach Motorcycle Rally will be held., due to the crazy shipping times.

Geaux-T 05-22-2020 11:31 AM

I have to agree it could use a sixth gear. Has anyone changed the sprocket size and if so what size or maybe post a link

Barnone 05-22-2020 04:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pulled the rear wheel off and did some measuring and counting. I count 38 teeth on the rear sprocket. If I remember right the front is 17 and a larger one cannot be installed.

EDIT: I just found an old post of mine where I found the chain is a 428 so the JTR279 will not work.

38/17 is 2.23 stock
35/17 is 2.06
34/17 is 2.00

How high do you want to go?

Megadan 05-22-2020 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnone (Post 338453)
Pulled the rear wheel off and did some measuring and counting. I count 38 teeth on the rear sprocket. If I remember right the front is 17 and a larger one cannot be installed.

What is the chain size on the DF250RTG, 520?

If so then the JTR 279 sprocket might fit and work.

38/17 is 2.23 stock
35/17 is 2.05
32/17 is 1.88
30/17 is 1.76

If it is a 520 chain, then there is no way the front is a 17 tooth. I have a 13 tooth 520 front sprocket on my CG, and it is just about the same diameter as a 17 tooth 428 sprocket, and a 14 tooth is just barely too big, but could be run with the keeper on the inside of the shaft and the cover being cut away in certain areas for clearance.

If I had to guess by looking at that rear sprockets teeth, and the fact that the front is probably a 17 tooth sprocket, the stock chain is a 428. Easy way to know what chain it is would be to measure the distance between the center of the pins. 428 will be 1/2" and a 520 will be 5/8"

I think the best thing to do would be to determine what both sprockets are for sure (verify the front tooth count) and then go from there. If it is indeed a 17 front 38 rear, it definitely doesn't need to to go any higher. In truth, if it were me, I would go up 2 teeth out back to a 17 front 40 rear, or down one up front to a 16 with the 38 rear.

Barnone 05-22-2020 10:10 PM

I looked back and found my post back in 2019 where I said

"My DF already has a 17 tooth front sprocket. It is stamped 428-17T YOXI."
So I answered my question. It is a 428 chain. So I need to go look for a 428 rear sprocket.

Barnone 05-22-2020 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Found a rear sprocket for a 428 that might fit the rear wheel of our DF250RTG.
I will order a 35 tooth and will see if it will fit.

https://www.amazon.com/JT-Sprockets-...TTRC0JQCSTWQCT

Now to find my chain break tool.

Megadan 05-23-2020 01:34 AM

All the same sprockets the Hawk 250's use. If you wanted a 520 chain setup a JTF328 sprocket would take care of the engine side. Just a random tidbit of info.

I am actually quite amazed at how tall they geared those things.

I agree with Barnone. Gearing is fine where it is. If you absolutely must gear the bike up some more, I wouldn't go beyond a 36 rear sprocket.

Geaux-T 05-23-2020 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnone (Post 338453)

EDIT: I just found an old post of mine where I found the chain is a 428 so the JTR279 will not work.

38/17 is 2.23 stock
35/17 is 2.05
32/17 is 1.88
30/17 is 1.76

Guess it a little too soon to tell. Still breaking the bike in. Just noticed that at 45-50 mph in 5th gear the rpms are kind of high and I haven't even gone half throttle yet. I would like to do 55 - 60 mph on the bike in the future but would like to bring the rpms down a little.

Megadan 05-23-2020 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geaux-T (Post 338506)
Guess it a little too soon to tell. Still breaking the bike in. Just noticed that at 45-50 mph in 5th gear the rpms are kind of high and I haven't even gone half throttle yet. I would like to do 55 - 60 mph on the bike in the future but would like to bring the rpms down a little.

I am assuming you are going by ear and not a tachometer. If these bikes do indeed have a 17 front and 38 rear sprocket, then 60mph is going to put the motor at about 5700rpm in 5th gear. These little engines, especially the OHC motors, are just starting to get into their power curves at that engine speed, and are usually happier at 6000-7000rpm.

franque 05-23-2020 07:01 PM

What is it revving to? Honda had two separate primary drive ratios, and I'm certain they use the lower ratio for Chinese utility vehicles (4.05 vs ~3.33), perhaps they're using them in this motor?