ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Hawk 250 Overland Travel Bike? (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15812)

humanbeing 03-19-2016 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeerAtlas (Post 208049)
is there a post somewhere with the url where you got it? and thanks. the one i saw was for a 125 cc engine.

Some 250 can't fit 125 cap as http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=18688252538 warned.
No worries, Hawk uses a faith copy that direct fits, otherwise DiY the holes as http://chinariders.net/showpost.php?...9&postcount=59

humanbeing 03-19-2016 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolftrax (Post 208123)
Here ya go. Isn't the Hawk engine a bored and stroked CG125...

CG is loosen term. Even the 1?? family had many illegitimates http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ll=1#post80608

SeerAtlas 03-20-2016 04:58 AM

thanks to both of you!!!!

newrider93 03-23-2016 04:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolftrax (Post 208041)
The kit was complete with valve cover,banjo bolts,hoses and all mounting hardware. As long as the bike is moving it's going to be cooler running engine. Perfect for my intended purpose of distance travel. overall is was a super easy inexpensive mod as most alterations are. This by far is the easiest and cheapest bike to work on that I have ever owned. May switch over to this fender to improve air flow.

I went ahead and ordered one of those front fenders. I have a days worth of upgrades to do on my bike when I get a chance. I'm going to install one of those oil coolers too. Got some street tires to put on, sprockets to change, fork oil to change. Going to check the valves when I put the oil cooler on. Also looking at getting a cargo rack. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._dp_o_pC_S_ttl

ATTENTION: THE PICTURE BELOW IS NOT MINE AND DOWNLOADED FROM AMAZON

Wolftrax 03-23-2016 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newrider93 (Post 208647)
I went ahead and ordered one of those front fenders. I have a days worth of upgrades to do on my bike when I get a chance. I'm going to install one of those oil coolers too. Got some street tires to put on, sprockets to change, fork oil to change. Going to check the valves when I put the oil cooler on. Also looking at getting a cargo rack. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._dp_o_pC_S_ttl

Would love to see a photo once you get the fender on. As far as the oil cooler goes, I'm not certain it's necessary, but for $60 it's a cheap enough investment to help keep it cooler. With my demands I'm going to place on the Hawk I hope it will make a big difference in engine cooling.
As far as rear racks go, I fabbed one up from a $6.00/cutting board, I also made a bash plate from a cutting board. I'll post some pics this weekend. Can anyone tell that I used to ride KLR's(el cheapo).:lmao:

newrider93 03-23-2016 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolftrax (Post 208648)
Would love to see a photo once you get the fender on. As far as the oil cooler goes, I'm not certain it's necessary, but for $60 it's a cheap enough investment to help keep it cooler. With my demands I'm going to place on the Hawk I hope it will make a big difference in engine cooling.

I know that even if it only helps a little it will be an improvement. My bike got pretty warm last summer in the humid heat of Missouri. I'll post pics when I get it put on. Only down side of the fender is that it's black instead of green.

TXDSRIDER 03-23-2016 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolftrax (Post 208648)
As far as rear racks go, I fabbed one up from a $6.00/cutting board, I also made a bash plate from a cutting board. I'll post some pics this weekend. Can anyone tell that I used to ride KLR's(el cheapo).:lmao:

Dang it I was about to do this on the weekend I guess you'll beat me to the post. I am going to fab up some panier racks to help keep my saddle bags even and off the exhaust. The exhaust dosent damage them but it's best to keep them off and I'm geting anal about them hanging unevenly due to the exhaust. Are you going to attach any sheet metal to the under side of your cutting board skid plate.

Wolftrax 03-23-2016 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXDSRIDER (Post 208651)
Dang it I was about to do this on the weekend I guess you'll beat me to the post. I am going to fab up some panier racks to help keep my saddle bags even and off the exhaust. The exhaust dosent damage them but it's best to keep them off and I'm geting anal about them hanging unevenly due to the exhaust. Are you going to attach any sheet metal to the under side of your cutting board skid plate.

The cutting board is pretty tough stuff, I don't think it's necessary to add any sheet metal

SeerAtlas 03-24-2016 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXDSRIDER (Post 208651)

if you get one of those 5 dollar map tubes from harborfreight and mount it in left side, your bags will hang straight and you will have a great waterproof place to store tools etc. works great on both of our hawks.

TXDSRIDER 03-24-2016 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeerAtlas (Post 208713)
if you get one of those 5 dollar map tubes from harborfreight and mount it in left side, your bags will hang straight and you will have a great waterproof place to store tools etc. works great on both of our hawks.

Hmmmm that would be a lot easier than making racks..... and I am pretty lazy...... sold!

Wolftrax 04-03-2016 02:55 PM

The Pod Mod

4 Attachment(s)
Not satisfied with the original air box, mine was a poorly fitted design with lots of silicone applied at the manufacture, I originally installed a straight pod filter on the carb but the induction noise drove me crazy, I know it's a short drive.:crazy:
Also this bike is going to see water crossings and an exposed pod filter is prone to flooding.
So with about $4.00 in parts I present the Pod Mod. Actually this is a bastardization of a mod popular with owners of the Husky TR650, which also had an inherently poor air box;
The parts are a 1 1/2" to 1"exhaust reducer, a 1 1/2" hose clamp and of course the pod filter.
Pretty simple, put pod on the 1 1/2" end of the reducer, push 1" end into inlet hose and clamp down tight. I tested this before install and the clamp does make an airtight seal, my only concern is the hose may crack or break, I'll keep an eye on it.
I also cobbled up the original paper filter and replaced it with the prefilter off the pod and siliconed it in place of the paper filter

SeerAtlas 04-03-2016 03:09 PM

wow! do they have dirt roads in south america? Q.Q LOL. THAT LOOKS LIKE IT WOULD HANDLE AN AFRICAN SANDSTORM :} looks like that end of the engine is done. u thinking a slip on or other exhaust mod?

Wolftrax 04-03-2016 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeerAtlas (Post 210122)
wow! do they have dirt roads in south america? Q.Q LOL. THAT LOOKS LIKE IT WOULD HANDLE AN AFRICAN SANDSTORM :} looks like that end of the engine is done. u thinking a slip on or other exhaust mod?

No I'm to cheap to add an exhaust. Anyway it mostly just makes racket, I will however decat "el halcon".

Wolftrax 04-03-2016 03:45 PM

Rear rack

1 Attachment(s)
The wonders of a $6.00 Walmart Cutting board.

Wolftrax 04-03-2016 03:58 PM

Budget bash plate

1 Attachment(s)
Walmart cutting board again