ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Zongshen RX3 (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   New Zongshen RX3 (ZS250GY-3) Dual Sport (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=13440)

SpudRider 09-02-2015 10:42 AM

I just performed a quick search of the CSC Parts website. I couldn't find the temperature sensor, either. This part is located at the bottom of the left radiator, so it should also be listed with the radiator parts.

ElectricCircus 09-02-2015 07:06 PM

Thermostat assembly

Quote:

Originally Posted by katflap (Post 191414)
Attachment 3288

Does anyone know if there actually is a thermostat in there ?

I've not seen them listed anywhere :hmm:

On that picture seems to be three pieces:

- Thermostat (mechanical) body
- Temperature sensor (for the EFI)
- High Temperature switch (for EFI/radiator fans)

Regards.

pete 09-03-2015 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepelepua (Post 191408)
Hi, the Tornado is currently beeing manufactured by Honda Brazil and still has good sales in Argentina, you can find it 0 km, my friend´s one is a 2013.
it´s still a reliable and valued bike around here but years passed to it and its noticeable the lack of rear brake, poor lights, carburator with bad cool start, heavy structure, old style fork, not fuel indicator among other.
I recently owned 2 Yamahas XTZ 250 (the Tornado competitor) and consider it a step above it. ;)

The XTZ250 is a really budget bike..
Old damping rod forks... They had the
choice of 3 motors WR250R / TTR250
But they went with the old low tec XT250
motor...

The XTZ looks the goods... under neath it's
a very budget motor bike ...It has no right to
carry the Tenere name...

I'm a Yamaha fan/owner... But Yamaha droped the ball
on this one...

Build cost was most lightly kept down for
it's intended markets...

pepelepua 09-03-2015 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete (Post 191474)
The XTZ250 is a really budget bike..
Old damping rod forks... They had the
choice of 3 motors WR250R / TTR250
But they went with the old low tec XT250
motor...

The XTZ looks the goods... under neath it's
a very budget motor bike ...It has no right to
carry the Tenere name...

I'm a Yamaha fan/owner... But Yamaha droped the ball
on this one...

Build cost was most lightly kept down for
it's intended markets...

I agree, people living in the third word (South America) are acostumed to suffer this, regionally produced low cost bikes, if you want to have a "real" Yamaha like the WR250 you should pay almost 3 times the local XTZ250.
Then you have another problem, the motorbike robery, my last 2 Yamahas XTZ 250 were stolen in the street with a gun pointing at my chest, one in December 2013 and another on February 2014, so I wont ride any Yamaha or Honda for a while ...

SpudRider 09-03-2015 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectricCircus (Post 191464)
On that picture seems to be three pieces:

- Thermostat (mechanical) body
- Temperature sensor (for the EFI)
- High Temperature switch (for EFI/radiator fans)

Regards.

I agree. I think the temperature sensor which turns on the radiator fans is located at the bottom of the left radiator.

katflap 09-03-2015 11:56 AM

I had a bit of a play with it today

Sensor attached to the bottom of the left hand radiator.
---------------------------------------------------------
Disconnected it produces no error code

*Temp Readings in PCHUD still visible

Connector shorted with engine running turns on the cooling fans.

12volts at this connector so i think its likely to be a thermostatic switch.

Sensor on thermostat housing with the 1 cable attached
-------------------------------------------------
Disconnected produces no error code

Loss of LCD temp bars on speedo

Sensor on thermostat housing with blue 2 pin conector
----------------------------------------------------
Disconnected produces error code (280 hex - 0118 temp (water) high voltage or open)

Temp readings visible in PCHUD but now are an exact mirror of the Air Intake Temp readings.
:hmm:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Didnt check to see if the readings changed to mirror the Air intake temp readings on the first 2 sensors* :doh:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SO still not fully sorted :shrug:

katflap 09-03-2015 12:13 PM

It would still be interesting to know whether the thermostat housing actually does house a thermostat or is just an alloy tube or boss to mount the sensors in.

At some point I will take it apart and have a look :)

SpudRider 09-03-2015 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katflap (Post 191495)
I had a bit of a play with it today

Disconnected produces error code (280 hex - 0118 temp (water) high voltage or open)

Temp readings visible in PCHUD but now are an exact mirror of the Air Intake Temp readings.
:hmm:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Didnt check to see if the readings changed to mirror the Air intake temp readings on the first 2 sensors* :doh:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SO still not fully sorted :shrug:

That is exactly what I suspected. :) As always, thanks for doing the investigative work, Kat. :tup:

SpudRider 09-03-2015 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katflap (Post 191496)
It would still be interesting to know whether the thermostat housing actually does house a thermostat or is just an alloy tube or boss to mount the sensors in.

At some point I will take it apart and have a look :)

Inquiring minds want to know. ;) Your unrelenting search for knowledge befits your position as Grand Poobah of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. :) This insatiable desire for knowledge also benefits, and honors, The Cult of The Zong. :tup:

I have my spare thermostat housing before me as I type. It is divided into two parts, and is held together with two 5 mm bolts which have 8 mm hexagonal heads. Each part of the housing has the word 'Skill' cast in the metal. Indeed, there is a spring-loaded thermostat located inside the housing. :) The thermostat could be replaced by separating the two parts of the housing.

The engine temperature sensor for Delphi EFI, with the blue, 2-pin connector, has the following writing inscribed upon it.

Skill
SK04052

The dashboard, engine temperature sensor, with the black wire, has the following writing inscribed upon it.

Skill

I suppect both 13**** numbers indicate the date of manufacture.

katflap 09-03-2015 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 191504)
Inquiring minds want to know. ;) Your unrelenting search for knowledge befits your position as Grand Poobah of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. :) This insatiable desire for knowledge also benefits, and honors, The Cult of The Zong. :tup:

I have my spare thermostat housing before me as I type. It is divided into two parts, and is held together with two 5 mm bolts which have 8 mm hexagonal heads. Each part of the housing has the word 'Skill' cast in the metal. Indeed, there is a spring-loaded thermostat located inside the housing. :) The thermostat could be replaced by separating the two parts of the housing.

The engine temperature sensor for Delphi EFI, with the blue, 2-pin connector, has the following writing inscribed upon it.

Skill
SK04052

The dashboard, engine temperature sensor, with the black wire, has the following writing inscribed upon it.

Skill

I suppect both 13**** numbers indicate the date of manufacture.

That's brilliant, thanks spud :tup:

Not that I'm expecting any problems with these components, but the more we know the better, should a problem arise :)

SpudRider 09-04-2015 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katflap (Post 191513)
That's brilliant, thanks spud :tup:

Not that I'm expecting any problems with these components, but the more we know the better, should a problem arise :)

You're welcome. :) As usual, I agree. ;)

Riceburner 09-04-2015 08:27 AM

Had a Chat With Gerry Edwards,

Man you guys are lucky, I see what CSC does for customer service and man do I miss it; my local dealer really doesn't care if I have an issue or not and since I do and have since day one, they asked me to take pictures of the front, back, left and right side of the bike. This for an issue with the carb that I have hand delivered pictures of and emailed (oh, they didn't get the emails (bull) I sent to myself at another email address, my wife, my son and a friend, they all got the same email and pictures). I feel it's just their long way to deny a warranty claim. They could have made me a happy customer right away and I told them this, or you can make me an unhappy customer; Motorstar (Eastworld) in Iloilo City, Panay has chosen to make me unhappy. I honestly feel that of a US customer had an issue with your Throttle-body unit that CSC would address it quickly and replace if necessary without the run around and crap I have to put up with.

Motorstar Philippines and Eastworld (parent company) are giving Zongshen a bad name and rep. Sure some of their carb's have the same problem and Zong should address it but it's not on all bikes, just random but if the dealer doesn't provide proper warranty service it reflects back to the manufacturer too.

I envy you US buyers.

Riceburner

SpudRider 09-04-2015 12:01 PM

I'm truly sorry to hear of your problems with MotoStar Phillipines.

Indeed, CSC is offering warranty coverage and customer service which is unparalleled in the world of Chinese motorcycles. :tup:

ElectricCircus 09-05-2015 06:23 PM

Quote:

Agree: that sensor is merely a thermal on/off switch, connected directly to the cooling fans.

Quote:

This sensor is dedicated and directly connected to the LCD dashboard, driving the temp bars indicator.

Quote:

Seems to be this sensor belongs to the EFI control unit, providing the temperature feedback needed for the dynamic adjustment of the fuel/air ratio.

peperino 09-11-2015 03:00 PM

Not sure if it has been covered before, but here in Argentina we get the carburetted version, and the tank is NOT 16L, it only takes 14L (even though the specs says that)

ElectricCircus 09-12-2015 07:26 AM

Customer service

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riceburner (Post 191549)
Man you guys are lucky, I see what CSC does for customer service and man do I miss it...
...I envy you US buyers.

Yes; I envy too.
Sadly at my country usually happens the same with motorcycles and cars. :ohno:

Regards.

detours 09-13-2015 12:16 AM

I just posted a ride report of our trip up to Mt Evans above 14,000 ft with lots of pics. Hope you enjoy it!

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15164

SpudRider 09-13-2015 01:30 AM

Today I adjusted the valve lash on my RX3 with 9,750 miles on the odometer. The exhaust valves had tightened a little, but were still in spec. The intake valves had clearance, but were tight enough so I couldn't get a 0.04 feeler gauge underneath them. I think it is wise to check the valve lash every 5,000 miles, as CSC recommends. ;)

SpudRider 09-13-2015 01:34 AM

If you want to upgrade from the green, brake rotor bolts, you can use brake rotor bolts from the Kawasaki KLR650. I discovered these bolts are the same size: 8mm x 15 mm, with a 1.25 thread pitch. :)

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...olt-Kit?v=5617

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/i...1474790011.jpg

rtking 09-14-2015 01:21 AM

Financing!

Looks like the folks at CSC have setup financing for the RX-3! So., if you can't swing a cash deal right now, it appears CSC can help you with 48 easy payments.

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=18235

I think the number of reasons for folks still undecided on the RX-3 is dwindling.

jjn 09-14-2015 04:36 AM

Spud, how long did it take you to do the valves? The bike has screw type adjusters, so I consider that a good thing. A few weeks ago, I got a shipping quote for an RX-3, and it was $700, and i would have to go pick it up at the docks in Hilo.

SpudRider 09-14-2015 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjn (Post 192133)
Spud, how long did it take you to do the valves? The bike has screw type adjusters, so I consider that a good thing. A few weeks ago, I got a shipping quote for an RX-3, and it was $700, and i would have to go pick it up at the docks in Hilo.

I'm a lot faster now than I was the first time. ;) I now require about two leisurely hours to adjust the valves.

Remove all plastic, fuel tank, and loosen radiators: 20 minutes
Adjust 4 valves: 70 minutes
Replace radiators, fuel tank, and all plastic: 30 minutes

I have learned almost all the shortcuts, so this is about as fast as I am going to get. Because of the cramped quarters and general design of the bike, the process is a bit tedious. ;)

SpudRider 09-14-2015 10:43 AM

I've searched, but I can't find the information. ;) A few weeks ago there was a new magazine review of the RX3. Can someone tell me the name of the magazine, and if the review has finally been posted online?

Weldangrind 09-14-2015 01:38 PM

Good question. It's not even on the "Press" page at the CSC site.

detours 09-14-2015 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 192142)
I've searched, but I can't find the information. ;) A few weeks ago there was a new magazine review of the RX3. Can someone tell me the name of the magazine, and if the review has finally been posted online?

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.motorcycle.com/features/b...e-of-2015.html

SpudRider 09-14-2015 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detours (Post 192163)

Thanks for your help, but that is not the review I am seeking. ;) I am looking for a review of the RX3 published by a printed magazine, which also has an online website. I think the review was published by Motorcyclist magazine. I searched the local magazine rack, but I couldn't find the magazine. I did find the online website, but they only post older reviews, and the new review was not available at that time. ;)

detours 09-14-2015 08:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How about this one from the August 2015 issue of Motorcyclist magazine?

SpudRider 09-15-2015 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detours (Post 192180)
How about this one from the August 2015 issue of Motorcyclist magazine?

That's the review I was seeking. :) Thank you. :thanks:

detours 09-15-2015 01:14 AM

They gave it a 6/10, which I think is really good, considering the Triumph Tiger 800 on the next page only got 7/10.

SpudRider 09-15-2015 01:55 AM

Did you purchase that magazine, and scan the review, or did you find the review online?

detours 09-15-2015 10:41 AM

I subscribe, so I just scanned it. I looked online but couldn't find it. Is it legible enough? I have a higher pixel original scan.

SpudRider 09-15-2015 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detours (Post 192217)
I subscribe, so I just scanned it. I looked online but couldn't find it. Is it legible enough? I have a higher pixel original scan.

I managed to read it, but I would truly enjoy a higher pixel scan. :)

detours 09-15-2015 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 192235)
I managed to read it, but I would truly enjoy a higher pixel scan. :)

Here's a link to the original file on my Google Drive. Let me know if the link doesn't work.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0...UVZdU4yTzNwOXc

SpudRider 09-15-2015 02:09 PM

It took a little while to connect, but it worked. Thank you. :)

ElectricCircus 09-15-2015 07:52 PM

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by detours (Post 192239)
Let me know if the link doesn't work.

Worked fine. Thanks!

rtking 09-15-2015 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectricCircus (Post 192260)
Worked fine. Thanks!

Ditto here. Thanks Detours!

MattyBoy1976 09-16-2015 12:32 AM

Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered a blue one today. Lurking around this forum for the past couple of months convinced me that this bike is the one I want, but when CSC introduced their financing program this week, that pushed me over the brink. Anyway, I can't wait until it gets here so I can enjoy it while the weather's still nice around here! I know the orange ones are the fastest, and red adds more torque, but somehow the blue one seemed like the one for me. I'll have to think of something clever to go with blue-or, as is usually the case, shamelessly steal someone else's clever tagline.

detours 09-16-2015 12:38 AM

Congrats on your new blue bike! I'm in the Denver area too. We should meet for a ride!

SpudRider 09-16-2015 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyBoy1976 (Post 192278)
Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered a blue one today. Lurking around this forum for the past couple of months convinced me that this bike is the one I want, but when CSC introduced their financing program this week, that pushed me over the brink. Anyway, I can't wait until it gets here so I can enjoy it while the weather's still nice around here! I know the orange ones are the fastest, and red adds more torque, but somehow the blue one seemed like the one for me. I'll have to think of something clever to go with blue-or, as is usually the case, shamelessly steal someone else's clever tagline.

Congratulations, and welcome to The Cult of The Zong. :tup:

rtking 09-16-2015 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyBoy1976 (Post 192278)
I know the orange ones are the fastest, and red adds more torque, but somehow the blue one seemed like the one for me. I'll have to think of something clever to go with blue-or, as is usually the case, shamelessly steal someone else's clever tagline.

Congrats on the purchase of the RX-3! I agree... the financing program will make this an easy purchase. I'm really enjoying my RX-3. I have to admit that the blue looks fantastic and I almost switched to a blue bike... and even the red and white bikes look great. No bad choices. But orange won me over.