ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Zongshen RX3 (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   New Zongshen RX3 (ZS250GY-3) Dual Sport (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=13440)

rjmorel 08-18-2015 12:58 PM

FYI. I installed the 13T yesterday and took it down the highway. At GPS 60mph, speedo was reading 69mph. 7500 RPM. With the 14T if I remember right GPS 60mph was 72mph on speedo and 7000 RPM. So still very highway ride able. I will give it a good test at end of month going down to the Sound Rider Rally in Hood River , OR. Anyone else going to go to it? Or will I have Clement Salvadori all to myself :) rj

rtking 08-18-2015 03:19 PM

Great to hear that the 13T counter sprocket is making the bike much more tractable around town. I'm curious about top end, freeway riding speed impact from the sprocket change. Will the bike still do a GPS measured 84 mph even with the 13T sprocket?

SpudRider 08-18-2015 05:32 PM

While riding the interstate highways, the ability to sustain a top speed is more important than a transient top speed which drops rapidly while you climb a long incline. ;)

I think every RX3 owner should experiment with the 13T C/S sprocket. After all, it only costs $12.95. You won't know whether you like it or not, until you try it. Some riders like me will prefer the 13T sprocket in all situations. Others might prefer the 13T sprocket in some situations, and some will prefer the 14T sprocket in all situations. ;)

SpudRider 08-19-2015 12:23 PM

In case you haven't heard, Motorcycle.com just awarded the CSC Cyclone RX3 an honorable mention as the Best Motorcycle Value of 2015. :tup:

http://www.motorcycle.com/features/b...e-of-2015.html

With the following list of stock equipment, this bike is indeed, an excellent value for the money. :)

U.S. Delphi Fuel Injected Engine
Water Cooled Engine with 2 Radiators, and 2 Radiator Fans
6-Speed Transmission
Superb Clutch
Excellent Headlight (with H4 bulb)
Engine Guards
Tall Windshield
Siemens Digital Dashboard
LED Turn Signals and Brake Light
4.2-Gallon (16-Liter) Fuel Tank
Locking Gas Cap
Integrated Luggage with Locks
Perimeter Engine Frame
Strong Sub-frame to Support Heavy Loads
Stainless Steel Exhaust Header
37mm USD Forks
Progressive Lower Shock Linkage
1-inch Fat Aluminum Handlebars
Skid Plate
Black Anodized Hubs
17-inch Rear Wheel with an Excellent Cushion Hub
Disc Brakes on Both Wheels
Braided Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Hydraulic Brake Light Switch on Rear Wheel
110-Link, Size 520, O-Ring Drive Chain
Wide, Serrated Foot Pegs with Rubber Inserts for both Rider and Passenger
300-watt Stator Output
Deluxe Wiring Harness with two Fused, Switched, Auxillary Power Connections
2-Year Warranty for Parts
1-Year Warranty for Parts and Labor

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/q...psbgwuhvwk.jpg

happycamp3r 08-21-2015 09:51 PM

Hi Everyone,
I'm a longtime lurker, first time poster here. I don't have an RX-3 yet, but looking to take advantage of CSC's good buddy program. Is there anyone out there in Northern California thinking seriously of getting an RX-3? We could ship them to the Redding depot and I could trailer them to our residences. Let me know if any of you are interested!
Thanks!

3Speed 08-21-2015 10:10 PM

prototype seat

I just got off a 90 mile plus ride (mostly highway, some twisties) with the CSC prototype new seat, boy, let me tell you, it made such a difference, it easly doubles, if not tripples the distance traveled before you start to feel un comfortable.
It is slightly taller setting, flater, wider top, and has softer cusion where needed.
It is 100% improvement over the stock, narrow,hard, hammock shaped seat,
As soon as they have the seats available, I will be the first in line

jjn 08-21-2015 11:20 PM

Just got a quote to ship one of these to Hilo Hawaii. $700, and I would have to pick it up at the shipper. For the same price a guy has his 2014 XT250 for sale. 1236 miles.

SpudRider 08-22-2015 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happycamp3r (Post 190439)
Hi Everyone,
I'm a longtime lurker, first time poster here. I don't have an RX-3 yet, but looking to take advantage of CSC's good buddy program. Is there anyone out there in Northern California thinking seriously of getting an RX-3? We could ship them to the Redding depot and I could trailer them to our residences. Let me know if any of you are interested!
Thanks!

Welcome; we are glad you joined us. :hi: I hope someone takes you up on your offer. :)

SpudRider 08-22-2015 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3Speed (Post 190440)
I just got off a 90 mile plus ride (mostly highway, some twisties) with the CSC prototype new seat, boy, let me tell you, it made such a difference, it easly doubles, if not tripples the distance traveled before you start to feel un comfortable.
It is slightly taller setting, flater, wider top, and has softer cusion where needed.

Thanks for posting the good review. :) How did the new seat affect saddle height?

SpudRider 08-22-2015 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjn (Post 190443)
Just got a quote to ship one of these to Hilo Hawaii. $700, and I would have to pick it up at the shipper. For the same price a guy has his 2014 XT250 for sale. 1236 miles.

The Yamaha XT250 will be a better dual sport bike. The Zongshen RX3 will be a better street/adventure bike. ;) Since you aren't likely to take many multi-day trips on any of the islands, you might be better off with the XT250. Of course, the cost of ownership will be less with the Zong. ;)

DanKearney 08-22-2015 10:15 AM

Quote:

Location, location, location. The cost of living in paradise I guess. Everything has to be shipped in.

You can't go wrong with a good XT. I had one for 12 years.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Weldangrind 08-22-2015 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happycamp3r (Post 190439)
Hi Everyone,
Thanks!

Welcome! Thanks for jumping in.

Weldangrind 08-22-2015 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3Speed (Post 190440)

Welcome! Do you have pics of the prototype?

Weldangrind 08-22-2015 11:36 AM

Quote:

That XT would be a terrific bike for the money, and it would likely be easy to get most of your money out of it when you sell it. I bet you have a Yamaha dealer on the island as well.

3Speed 08-22-2015 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 190447)
Thanks for posting the good review. :) How did the new seat affect saddle height?

Only using "seat of the pants" measurement, it seems as the setting height feels about 1" higher, a trade off that might be worth it for some people,

SpudRider 08-22-2015 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3Speed (Post 190477)
Only using "seat of the pants" measurement, it seems as the setting height feels about 1" higher, a trade off that might be worth it for some people,

Thanks for posting the good information. :)

SpudRider 08-22-2015 12:47 PM

Here is a photograph of my Kenda, K270 front tire after 7,500 miles of wear.

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps6cu9fwea.jpg

Here is a photograph of my Shinko, 244 rear tire after 7,500 miles of wear.

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/q...psbsrohap1.jpg

I am very happy with both the performance, and the longevity of these two tires. :tup:

SpudRider 08-22-2015 01:13 PM

I have now experimented with the Zongshen LED headlight, and three different bulbs in the stock headlight. ;) I have used the stock HS1 bulb, an H4 incandescent bulb, and my latest experiment is with an 18W, H4 LED bulb.

I have concluded the illumination from the Zongshen LED headlight is too narrowly focused, and the illumination from the 35W, stock HS1 bulb is too weak. :ohno: I am still contemplating whether the H4 incandescent bulb, or the H4 LED bulb is best. ;) The LED bulb offers excellent conspicuity, even in daylight. Here is a photograph I took at midday of the H4 LED bulb from 20 yards, in a standing position.

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/q...psp3zmhw2k.jpg

Here is a photograph I took at midday of the H4 LED bulb from 20 yards, in a kneeling position.

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/q...pspeluizud.jpg

I think the H4 LED bulb offers better daylight conspicuity than the Zongshen LED headlight. For comparison, here is a photograph I took at midday of the Zongshen LED headlight from 13 yards, in a standing position.

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/q...psykwucyp5.jpg

Here is a photograph I took at midday of the Zongshen LED headlight from 13 yards, in a kneeling position.

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/q...psrcvyuahg.jpg

Since the light beam is not so narrowly focused, the H4 LED bulb is much more conspicuous in daylight than the Zongshen LED headlight. :tup:

In comparison to the H4 incandescent bulb, the H4 LED bulb casts more light to the sides of the motorcycle, so it illuminates the road better while turning corners on pavement, and while trying to avoid obstacles while riding off road after dark. :) In addition, the H4 LED bulb uses less power, generates much less heat, and lasts far longer than an H4 incandescent bulb. However, the H4 incandescent bulb definitely projects the light farther down the road, especially on high beam.

I will experiment more, and let you know my final conclusions after more deliberation. However, I will offer these preliminary conclusions. ;) If you are riding fast at night on mostly straight pavement, the H4 incandescent bulb will let you see farther. However, if you are riding a lot at night in the city, or riding at night more slowly on winding paved roads, the H4 LED bulb will illuminate the corners much better. :) Also, the H4 LED bulb will make you much more conspicuous during daylight than the H4 incandescent bulb. ;)

rjmorel 08-22-2015 03:04 PM

Spud ,I'm guessing from your recent photos , your getting a lot of smoke from all the fires around? Walla Walla is haze city, rj

Mudflap 08-22-2015 03:15 PM

7500 miles on a rear Shinko 244 is amazing! Most I ever got was 4100 and it was totally bald.

SpudRider 08-23-2015 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjmorel (Post 190489)
Spud ,I'm guessing from your recent photos , your getting a lot of smoke from all the fires around? Walla Walla is haze city, rj

Indeed, the smoke from the forest fires is terrible here, also. :ohno:

SpudRider 08-23-2015 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudflap (Post 190491)
7500 miles on a rear Shinko 244 is amazing! Most I ever got was 4100 and it was totally bald.

The excellent cushion drive on the rear hub or the RX3 prolongs the life of the drive chain and both sprockets; it also prolongs the life of the rear tire. :tup:

detours 08-23-2015 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjmorel (Post 190489)

I rode 300 miles around Colorado today with my wife and it was smoky and hazy the whole way. It was even worse when we got back to town. We couldn't even see Denver coming back down from the mountains.

SpudRider 08-23-2015 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detours (Post 190519)
I rode 300 miles around Colorado today with my wife and it was smoky and hazy the whole way. It was even worse when we got back to town. We couldn't even see Denver coming back down from the mountains.

On a decent day I can see the Grand Teton Range in Wyoming, a distance of over 100 miles, from several of the local mountaintops. Today I was lucky to see one, or two miles, at most. :ohno: I sure hope they extinguish these fires soon. :wtf:

SpudRider 08-30-2015 12:34 AM

Someone in Vermont is selling a mint RX3, with accessories, and only 500 miles on the odometer. You can discover more by following the link below. ;)

http://www.rx3forums.com/forums/show...ed=1#post26236

detours 08-31-2015 02:24 AM

Here are a few pics from yesterday's ride to the Mount Evans Wilderness Area.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15108

SpudRider 09-01-2015 08:49 AM

This thread now has recorded over a quarter of a million views, and over 4,000 replies. :) Thanks to everyone who contributes to this 'town hall' gathering. :tup:

pepelepua 09-01-2015 11:24 AM

A Zongshen from Argentina!!!

Dear Friends:
I´m Pablo, a recent owner of a Zongshen RX3 that in my country Argentina is known as "Corven Triax 250 Touring".
Here we have the carburetor version with halogen front lamp.
i have only a few kilometers so i cannot tell you much about it but after recently owing 2 Yamahas XTZ 250 (Brazil made) this bike almost at the same quality standard.
I´m 44 now and since my 16 I´ve owned at least 10 motorbikes.
So here you´ll find 2 pictures of the bike, in the first one, in an old small town named Carlos Keen, about 100 km far from Buenos Aires and in the second enjoing with some friends (there you can see 2 RX3)

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/y...psuxbnp8z7.jpg

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps7l2rk2my.jpg

Enjoy!

Weldangrind 09-01-2015 11:37 AM

Welcome Pablo!

detours 09-01-2015 11:43 AM

Welcome! We look forward to seeing your pictures of beautiful Argentina!

SpudRider 09-01-2015 12:17 PM

Welcome to these forums, Pablo. :hi:

Thanks for posting the photographs from beautiful Argentina. Your bike looks great. :)

G19Tony 09-02-2015 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepelepua (Post 191345)
Dear Friends:
I´m Pablo, a recent owner of a Zongshen RX3 that in my country Argentina is known as "Corven Triax 250 Touring".
Here we have the carburetor version with halogen front lamp.
i have only a few kilometers so i cannot tell you much about it but after recently owing 2 Yamahas XTZ 250 (Brazil made) this bike almost at the same quality standard.
I´m 44 now and since my 16 I´ve owned at least 10 motorbikes.
So here you´ll find 2 pictures of the bike, in the first one, in an old small town named Carlos Keen, about 100 km far from Buenos Aires and in the second enjoing with some friends (there you can see 2 RX3)

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/y...psuxbnp8z7.jpg

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps7l2rk2my.jpg

Enjoy!

Welcome aboard, Pablo. I must commend you on choosing the very fast, much respected, much lusted after, Blue RX-3. Your excellent taste in motorbikes will surely serve you in good stead, during your travels around your beautiful country. :)

SpudRider 09-02-2015 02:15 AM

:lol:

pete 09-02-2015 04:15 AM

Nice bikes...
how do yer find the Tornado ?..
I had a 05 , Should have kept it....

pepelepua 09-02-2015 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete (Post 191405)
Nice bikes...
how do yer find the Tornado ?..
I had a 05 , Should have kept it....

Hi, the Tornado is currently beeing manufactured by Honda Brazil and still has good sales in Argentina, you can find it 0 km, my friend´s one is a 2013.
it´s still a reliable and valued bike around here but years passed to it and its noticeable the lack of rear brake, poor lights, carburator with bad cool start, heavy structure, old style fork, not fuel indicator among other.
I recently owned 2 Yamahas XTZ 250 (the Tornado competitor) and consider it a step above it. ;)

katflap 09-02-2015 09:17 AM

Thermostat Housing

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 3288

Does anyone know if there actually is a thermostat in there ?

I've not seen them listed anywhere :hmm:

SpudRider 09-02-2015 09:49 AM

Yes, the thermostat housing is installed on the return coolant line, above the cylinder. It receives coolant from the top of the left radiator, and sends coolant back to the engine via the hose which enters the cylinder by the spark plug. The thermostat housing is configured exactly as shown in the photograph, and is sold for a very reasonable price on Taobao. Of course, you can also purchase the thermostat housing from CSC, in Azusa, California. ;)

katflap 09-02-2015 10:24 AM

Thanks spud,

I hadn't managed to find it on the CSC parts list I will have to have a better look :tup:

Do you happen to notice whether they list the components separately like the thermostat and the temp sensors.
I've not been able to find these on Taobao. :hmm:

Just curious , don't actually need any of this :)

SpudRider 09-02-2015 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katflap (Post 191420)
Thanks spud,

I hadn't managed to find it on the CSC parts list I will have to have a better look :tup:

Do you happen to notice whether they list the components separately like the thermostat and the temp sensors.
I've not been able to find these on Taobao. :hmm:

Just curious , don't actually need any of this :)

I must admit, I hadn't actually checked the CSC Parts website for availability of the thermostat. ;) I just assumed CSC listed the unit, since they strive to carry all parts for the RX3. However, checking the radiator parts list, I don't see the thermostat for sale. :shrug:

I haven't searched the CSC Parts website for the thermostat and temperature sensor. However, I will take a look, and let you know what I discover. ;) I have seen both the thermostat and temp sensor for sale on Taobao. In fact, I purchased the thermostat unit we have been discussing from Taobao, since the price was so reasonable. :)

katflap 09-02-2015 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 191421)
I must admit, I hadn't actually checked the CSC Parts website for availability of the thermostat. ;) I just assumed CSC listed the unit, since they strive to carry all parts for the RX3. However, checking the radiator parts list, I don't see the thermostat for sale. :shrug:

I haven't searched the CSC Parts website for the thermostat and temperature sensor. However, I will to take a look, and let you know what I discover. ;) I have seen both the thermostat and temp sensor for sale on Taobao. In fact, purchased the thermostat unit we have been discussing from Taobao, since the price was so reasonable. :)

Thanks again spud,

Good thinking on your part to order a spare, :tup: