Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2015, 03:56 PM   #1

Louis's 2015 Honda CB300F thread

As stated in another post, I have traded the 2014 "Will" 200cc Dual Sport in and purchased a brand new 2015 Honda CB300F.

Here is my initial thoughts after a few rides around town:
If one is looking for a motorcycle that floats down the road like a Goldwing, the CB300F is not for you.
If one is looking for a motorcycle that goes from 0 to 60 MPH in sub 6 seconds, the CB300F is not for you.
If one is looking for a motorcycle that goes 100+ MPH, the CB300F is not for you.
However, if you are looking for a bike that is extremely nimble, lightweight, very low center of gravity, handles like it is on rails, and can blast you from
0 to a speeding ticket in town in 2.7 seconds (don't ask) then this IS an awesome choice! It is illegal here to split lanes, however I could not imagine a cycle with any better precision and slim width to do this with than a CB300F. To me, it just handles better in the city or through heavy traffic than the Ninja 300 I rode for 30 min. around town. And has very noticeable more low end ( 2000-6000RPM) grunt than a Ninja 300. Now, if you are a Ninja lover, please understand, I am not a Ninja hater!!! I love them too! It is apples to apples. You simply CAN'T go wrong with the Yamaha R3, the Honda CB300F / CBR300R, or the Ninja 300. ALL are great bikes! But they each have their own uniqueness about them. All out flat out 0 to anything power goes to the YamahaR3, screaming high speed / high RPM blasting through fast hard corners or cruising long distance at 80+ MPH goes to theNinja, and most comfortable most nimble in town easiest to handle, can and does go 80+ with the greatest of ease, with lightest weight, lowest center of gravity, Honda CB300F/CBR300R. And this statement is made with many professional's backing up my own opinion. Just watch the You Tube reviews. Don't put much faith in ones from individuals like myself. Watch the ones made by the true professional Motorcycle reviewers. ( I love the guys at Motorcycle.com. They seem unbiased and honest, albet, they favor the 600+ cc "big bikes" )

Will update as updates worthy to report come along.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:05 PM   #2

Thanks for posting the thread on your new Honda CB300F. If I hadn't purchased my Zongshen RX3, I would seriously consider buying this motorcycle. I have been watching these Honda bikes for a while; I started a thread on the CB300R/CB300F almost a year ago.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=13845

When you have time, please post photos of your bike in it's native habitat. We love photos.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-29-2015, 12:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Angel View Post
Don't put much faith in ones from individuals like myself.
You're such a humble guy, Louis. I'd sooner listen to your review than a "professional."

Thanks for an awesome write-up. X2 on pics. I'm also in love with that bike.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-29-2015, 11:06 AM   #4

:-D Thanks guys.
As to the "photos of your bike in it's native habitat", well today
(and the entire weekend if the meteorologist is correct) is a raining washout, so it's native habitat at the moment is cuddling up to my
wife's Genuine Roughhouse50

I did manage to squeeze in a 1 hour ride down to the KY Lake and back yesterday evening, getting back home just before sundown.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0528152104.jpg (41.0 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg 0528152104a.jpg (38.4 KB, 159 views)

Old 05-29-2015, 11:37 AM   #5

At least it'll stay warm and dry. Perhaps you should get it a blanket, just to be sure. That's a beautiful bike.

What is a Genuine Roughhouse 50? Is that a China scoot?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-29-2015, 02:14 PM   #6

The bike looks good in the garage, also. Thanks for posting the photos.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-29-2015, 10:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
........... . That's a beautiful bike.

What is a Genuine Roughhouse 50? Is that a China scoot?
Thanks to you both. And no, the Genuine Scooter Co. is the same as Vespa. Or let me rephrase that, same owners. clicky thingy ----> http://www.genuinescooters.com/ However, the Genuine is mfg. in Taiwan. I would rate the quality of build 100% equal to Yamaha and Honda. VERY reliable. The thing is built like a tank everywhere that it counts. Probably
the most well known of the Genuine scooters is the "Stella". and a close tie 2nd would be the "Buddy". You see Buddy's everywhere at scooter rental places, again, because of the price, several hundreds less than Yamaha & Honda, and the before mentioned superb reliability and build quality.
There is a large aftermarket support for these as well. I already have a 72cc overbore kit, high performance CVT clutch parts, and a aftermarket exhaust pipe (Called a "Stage 2 Kit" for this scoot sitting in my garage. Purchased here ---> http://www.scooterworks.com/performa...8#.VWkiLO9FDIU
Just lack the time to install it.
Yeah. $350 (after shipping) is a bit rough on the pocketbook. But it makes these things a rip-snarling blast to fly around town in. Were talking EASYYYYYY 55+ mph! On 10" Rims! 0_0 :-D
Also have a beautiful big windscreen as well, again, no time to install.
Between work, work after work, and housework, well, , , , , , , , , , , you get the picture.

SOMEDAY!!!!!! Someday I will get around to actually doing my own things! Till then, , , , , I just ride what I don't have to work on. :-D

As a side note, I ordered some dress up goodies for the CB300F. Carbon fiber LOOKING tank guard thingy, and a carbon fiber Looking chain guard, as well as a rear O.E.M. Honda storage bag that goes where the passenger seat is. Got to have some way to haul my breakfast sandwich and 20oz MtnDew from the gas station to work. :-D Those will go on in a matter of minutes, so pics will come when they come in.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:16 AM   #8

The Stella is a beautiful scooter. I can certainly see the Vespa inspiration.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:16 PM   #9

Honda 'Clause

Honda Clause came to see me today! :-D
Installed the tail bag, tank guard, and MUCH better looking carbon fiber
looking rear chain guard / splash guard this afternoon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0604151817.jpg (61.5 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg 0604151819.jpg (63.0 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg 0604151844.jpg (60.6 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg 0604151850.jpg (53.0 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg 0604151923.jpg (60.0 KB, 124 views)

Old 06-04-2015, 09:25 PM   #10

Just a few more pictures

In the pic of the bag open is a XL Bulky sweatshirt and a 20oz "Infuse" (Generic Gatorade) bottle. As you can see, still lots of room to spare. last pic is overall with the 3 items installed.
I have on order a short smoke tinted windscreen from, , , , , , , , , I forgot the brand! LOL ( something from Amazon). Also, someone on this forum put me onto a company named Dennis Kirk. Man that place is awesome!!! I ordered a rear fender eliminator kit from them ------> https://www.denniskirk.com/yoshimura...rd/4901312.sku
and a K&N air filter kit. Other than a gel pad seat cushion, this will be the end of my mods for a while. Going to put better tires on it somewhere around the 4000 mile mark, but not sure exactly what brand at the moment. Plenty of time to research that between now and 4000 miles. :-D
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0604151923a.jpg (55.2 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg 0604151924.jpg (70.3 KB, 146 views)

Old 06-05-2015, 12:00 AM   #11

Those are nice items, and they look good on your CB300F.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-05-2015, 12:55 AM   #12

thanks!

Old 06-05-2015, 11:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Angel View Post
Plenty of time to research that between now and 4000 miles. :-D
For Spud, that would at least a whole week.

One of the first things I noticed about that bike was the chain guard; it seemed to not "fit" the bike to me. The carbon fiber look suits it well.

Looking forward to more pics when you get your new windscreen and fender eliminator.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:11 PM   #14

Wow that is a nice bike! I wonder how this compares to a two cylinder? It is very clear that they can get an excellent engine with one cylinder, but why are so many using two even at 250 cc?

It appears you would buy it again, but I had to ask?

Old 06-07-2015, 06:04 PM   #15

the 2 cylinder engines have better high rpm top end power.
The singles have much better low end torque. Now, stop and think for a moment. For a commuter bike riding through town, where are your RPM's going to be most of the time? ----> Down low! lol
The Ninja300 has a better engine if freeway blasting or high speed canyon carving is where you will spend most of your time. I use mine like one would a car. To work & back and cruising many the gorgeous back roads here in the Kentucky lake region. So the sub 10,000 RPM powerband is just fine and dandy with me.
Also, and this is nothing but my own personal opinion, but I have a feeling that if one was to buy, say, a Ninja300 (For example) and have to constantly run it at well over 9000RPM's just to keep up with traffic or have any real power, I just have my doubts as to how long the little motors will hold up.

Now, you asked, if I understood you right, that if given the opportunity to do so, I would buy this bike again. The answer to that is a resounding NO.
No, I would not. The reason has nothing to do with any flaw of the bike itself. You see, in August of 2010 I suffered from a very severe DVT (blood clot) in the left leg. The internal damage was so severe it has left me with Post Thrombotic Syndrome. PTS makes ones life a living hell at times. Leg cramps, hard burning stabbing pain on the inside of the left thigh, and a weakened leg muscle is my new normal.
The doc prescribed compression stockings, and I have many. Do I wear them? No! LOL I HATE wearing them! Hot, itchy, and always sliding down to my knee. I do wear compression socks a lot. They suck too! Just not as bad. ANYWHOOOOOOOO,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I have learned after my 106 mile ride yesterday that the CB300F (or ANY bike with the sport bike riding position for that matter) puts me in severe pain after about 30 min. Witch SUCKS, because I am wanting to ride across the state and ride the "Dragons Tail" among other places. No, the little CB will not be with me much longer I fear. Almost want to cry over it.
It does do a SUPERB job of getting me to work & back. That is only a 15 min. long ride each way, so no issues there.
Now, want to know something seriously sad, my old "WILL 200 Dual Sport" that I traded in on this new Honda I could, and did!, take on a 2+ hour ride, with NO leg pan at all.
Damn my luck.

I am going to try something before I depart with this bike. IF, IF it works, I will post it here. If not, I will say nothing more about it. Simply because it is a wild silly concept I have and must try, but will require building myself. I am going to take my rear passenger pegs off, just the pegs, and fabricate a bracket to mount them up in front of the engine. I have spent over an hour with a tape measure, pen and paper, and head scratching and am making a place to mount the pegs out in front of the crankcase at the main frame. Thereby giving my legs a set of pegs to stretch out cruiser style and rest on for longer straight line trips. The pegs will fold back when not in use, and everything will be black and almost hidden when not in use. After a bit of internet searching, to my knowledge, I can not find anywhere where anyone has done this before. Cruiser style pegs setup on a sport bike. May be a dumb idea! MIGHT work like a charm! --- shrugs --- Never the less, time will tell. :-D