Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions

Old 08-30-2014, 12:35 PM   #1

New to the forum...

Howdy from Jefferson, OR! Bought my '05 Zong zs200gy-a in '09 from a Yamaha dealer for $900 frogskins, and have ridden the pee out of it!

Question I have for the forum, or specifically, for Spudrider (who seems to be a veritable fount of info!): in all my (limited) research about this bike, it seems that either A: my bike was mis-stickered, or B: it was mis-assembled, due to the fact that all the pics I've seen of the Zong zs200gy-a show a dual-sport, while my bike has no provisions for lights, mirrors or plates... really be cool to register this for the street, but not sure if it's possible...

Thanks in advance for any input!

Keith

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-30-2014, 01:26 PM   #2

Spud's bike's model was an anomaly among Chinabikes. Keep in mind, like GM, or Chrysler since you have Mopar440 as your nickname, who make all different kinds of models of cars, Zongshen is a massive motorcycle concern (at least in China) churning all kinds of models, as well as being the OEM for engines for some manufacturers (i.e. my TMEC 200 enduro has a Zongshen engine even thought it is a proprietary TMEC engine--there are other companies who use Zongshen as their proprietary engines, too, since the EPA no longer allows companies to simply slap in a EPA certified Lifan or Zongshen engine anymore).

The bike Spud has is very unusual because it uses a Yamaha-cloned engine (TW 200 I believe?). In fact, many of the parts from this particular Zongshen interchange with the real deal Yamaha engine it copies.

Your bike is far closer to the vast majority of Chinese bikes who use a Honda-cloned engine. In other words, your bike is closer to my bike, as far as engines are concerned. However, there are no real Honda parts that will interchange with these engines.

Furthermore, I think I know, or at least have a theory, as to why your bike is a dirt bike as opposed to an enduro: It was either the EPA or DOT (probably both) who started cracking down on the vast numbers of non-DOT certified bikes flooding the US that came with full street lighting. EPA, too, since there are different certifications for street and off-road bikes as far as engines (part of the same reason each manufacturer has to make whatever brand's engine as their proprietary engine, including the several thousand dollars certification cycle).

So, I believe, the manufacturers had to start stripping what were once off-road bikes with full street-lighting of their street lighting to make them definitely off-road.

The irony in all of this is that as much as the federal government wants to distinguish between dirt and street, it comes down to all 50 states DMV rules and regulations--some states will allow an off-road only bike like a quad or a side-by-side UTV to be street-plated anyway!

Your bike was a result of the crack-down, which is why it looks like the street/enduro versions. As well, it is the Honda-ish bike unlike Spud's bike, but that is not a bad thing, either, since the Honda-like engines are good performers and have great reliability.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 08-30-2014, 01:27 PM   #3

After all my ramble--I like your photo where it seems like you have a guard dog just for your new bike!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 08-30-2014, 02:24 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick reply! So, in other words, even though mine looks an awful lot like a Yamaha TTR, it's actually a Honda clone? Interesting... that kinda muddies up the water, some... am in need of front and rear fenders, as well as a battery box and right-rear plastic...

And the guard dog was actually a big sweetheart of a dog, although he looked very intimidating! Sadly, he passed a couple of years ago... RIP, big guy... sure do miss ya!

Old 08-30-2014, 02:40 PM   #5

Welcome!

Your dog looked as if it had Lab and Rottie; that would be a cool mix. Very good looking guy. I'm gonna miss my mutt when he goes.

It's a little hard to tell from the pic, but I think you have the CB200 OHC clone. A fair amount of actual Honda parts are availavle for that motor, but there's no need for that. I would certainly buy Honda rear sprocket studs for durability.

Rear fender and battery box are probably available on www.taobao.com. Use Google Chrome, and allow it to translate automatically. Our intrepid Humanbeing can likely help you with translations to find what you need. He's awesome.

You can install any generic, undrilled front fender you wish. I like the smaller supermoto style, and the last one I bought on Taobao was around $7.00.

I bet you could install the necessary lights and horn, and then get a title through Vermont. Check this out: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=12368

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-30-2014, 02:57 PM   #6

Thanks, Weld... and yes, Chopper was 1/4 Rott, 3/4 Black Lab... such a cool combo... basically a lab on steroids! Miss that meathead... lol

Link to my Photobucket page for more pics of him and my other two labs, if you're intrested
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kras...src=wap&page=1

Old 08-30-2014, 03:44 PM   #7

Sorry to read about that handsome mutt! I think it might be best, imo, to find an enduro with all the street lighting on Craigslist, provided you can get a wide variety for cheap such as what you can find in places like L.A. ($400 enduros as an example). One guy here down on the enduro section, who just recently joined posted a Craigslist ad from Kansas City for an enduro with no title with a blown engine with an asking price of $250 (definitely deal it down), as one such example (yes, you would be too far for that one, and I mentioned it as but one example, but see what you can find closer to you).

I have a complete '09 TMEC sitting in my driveway with all the wiring and the lighting (although two broken turn signals) with a clutch issue that I would part out to someone like you. Again, not saying you buy my parts due to shipping costs and all that, but surely there are people near you with donor parts or complete enduros like mine.

I would start out with Taobao as Weldangrind linked. I have never used it, and it completely baffles me, but Weld and a few other members swear by it (not at it) and the parts are cheap, even when shipped directly from the Chinabike motherland! I bet there are whole lighting kits for Zongshens since your bike is very similar to many, millions worldwide, who came with street lighting equipment.

Keep us up to date on your progress, since I had always thought of that seeing a few Zongshen bikes just like yours on the Phoenix Craigslist that looked like enduros, but with all lighting 'gone' offered for several hundred dollars.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 08-30-2014, 06:54 PM   #8

That shot of Roca is awesome! I'm amazed that Rubicon had so many pups!

It's time for us to start another furry friend thread.

Where in the PNW are you (roughly)?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-30-2014, 06:56 PM   #9

Sorry, I spotted Jefferson, OR after I typed that.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:22 PM   #10

What's the engine model (??16?FML) stamped on engine?
Generic "196" (63.5 piston /15 pin) http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=39517848641
ZS "198" (69 piston /17 pin) http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=36744024764

Old 09-01-2014, 02:04 AM   #11

Welcome fellow Zongite; we are glad you joined us.

I'm always surprised when a Zongshen ZS200GY-A shows up in North America. As far as I know, these bikes were never imported into the United States. However, every once in a while one crosses the border, and finds a new home here.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-03-2014, 10:08 PM   #12

Sorry for the delayed response, guys and gals... sadly, health issues forced me to advertise my Zong, and she just left with her new owner... I gave new guy a link to the forum, as he seemed pretty excited with his new acquisition...

Old 09-04-2014, 01:03 AM   #13

I'm sorry to hear that you're faced with health issues. I hope you and your family are ok.

Thanks for pointing the new owner here.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I'm sorry to hear that you're faced with health issues. I hope you and your family are ok.

Thanks for pointing the new owner here.
X2 on all points.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894