Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Dealer & Distributor Discussion

Old 09-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #1

Saw a youtube ad for the Lance Cabo.

http://www.lancepowersports.com/models/cabo.html

This was the ad that played before the video I was watching.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #2

I wonder if girls like that magically appear if one buys that scooter.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-01-2014, 12:15 PM   #3

Someone brought this up on advrider due to the same ad. Someone mentioned that the oil change interval is only 600 miles! My guess is for warranty purposes. My only concern is that this bike, and others in the Lance lineup, is probably geared more towards people who DON'T change their own oil, so I can imagine it would get expensive (assuming the same people are working and going to school--i.e. young adults).

BTW, SYM is a Taiwanese company, but Lance is manufactured in China (probably more of a joint venture, so has higher quality controls). I do remember Lance offering GY 200 enduros among other products a few years back, if they were the same company.

Me? I would stick with the TaoTao BWS 150 or the one like 'ghcoe' has for well under 1/2 the price. And I would probably change my OWN oil every 600 miles (like I do on my enduro).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-01-2014, 12:20 PM   #4

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005744

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 09-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #5

I remember the Lance scooters from a few years back. What caught my attention was the ad on youtube and the quality of it. This is the first I have seen for a China based product.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #6

I think they are more Taiwanese-'ish' than Chinese. I think that SYM oversees the manufacturing in China, and keeps it in China to keep the price point lower than the SYM lineup.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 09-01-2014, 02:15 PM   #7

I only remember them from the Chinese built days, looks like the teamed up with SYM in 2009. The quality of the website is also good. Hopefully they are successful and become known for their scooters.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:57 AM   #8

Thanks for posting the video, Allen.

The Cabo looks nice, but the price is too high.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-27-2014, 12:57 PM   #9

I do think the price is a little steep. Especially as these require a oil change every 600 miles if I remember what someone mentioned on advrider's scooter section. It wouldn't be bad for 'one of us' who would have no issue changing oil, but at this price point, I could imagine they are gearing the bike towards a young man or woman, living in, say L.A., starting out at an entry level professional job needing transportation. If they aren't the 'type' that does their own oil (the non-mechanical type and I imagine the frequent changes are due to the warranty) then a dealer would possibly, technically, need to do the changes?

I think our newer member who just got the Roketa Yamaha BWS-looking clone, or the Taotao BWS 150 would be the better way to go price-wise. My guess is mechanically, the Roketa (I believe he said Jonway manufactured) or the Taotao would be fairly stout, although the only advantage I would see out of the Lance is its top speed, while the fit and finish on the Roketa or Taotao would need more tending to. But, putting the Baodiao 50cc together recently, and the Huatian/Lintex BWS 50cc a few months ago, the only issues I can see with fit and finish are dealing more with the hardware than the plastic itself. But that is why one can get a decent scooter for several hundred dollars as opposed to having to finance a premier branded scooter.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 09-27-2014, 07:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I think our newer member who just got the Roketa Yamaha BWS-looking clone, or the Taotao BWS 150 would be the better way to go price-wise. My guess is mechanically, the Roketa (I believe he said Jonway manufactured) or the Taotao would be fairly stout.
Hey! Who you calling a new member? I have been a member since 2008...... Just kidding.

Yes the Roketa turned out to be a Jonway. Fit and finish on it is darn good. Been driving it around a lot around town and some dirt roads here and there. No problems so far. I got 78.4 MPG first tank. It is quick off the line and has good throttle response even on the top end. Looking forward to what it will do once really broke in. Also, I just ordered in a performance CDI so hope that will help too.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghcoe View Post
Hey! Who you calling a new member? I have been a member since 2008......
Alas, that is true, LOL. But you only managed to post a few dozen posts in that time, with your new bikes contributing to a majority of those! I had forgotten your name, and did not want to spend the time digging through posts to find your name to make a point. But, GHCOE--I will remember your name

Glad to read the bike is showing you good times, just as I suspected. I had put together one of the Lintex/Huatian branded BWS 50cc clone (the side-by-side headlight version) and thought it was very well made, but lacking in power. Then, I found Taotao had a 150cc version, as well as Roketa was selling a couple different ones. Then, your bike with the updated BWS styling came out and you were one of our guinea pigs who bought one and reported on it. Makes the Lance Cabo kind of redundant...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 09-27-2014, 10:57 PM   #12

Not trying to justify the price, but I don't see 600 miles as too bad. I would change the oil on my lifan every 800 miles. Once a month.

The typical buyer would likely need an oil change every other month. Most likely using it for a short commute. It would take them 2 months to accumulate 600 miles.

I think honda recommend an oil change every 1000 miles for the Elite 150.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:06 AM   #13

It's not the actual changing of the oil, but having someone to do it for them. I know that some of these premium scooters can go 3000 miles as was discussed on advrider. My concern for a buyer would be if they would allow someone to change their own oil and keep warranty, or someone not mechanically inclined would have to pay for an oil change once a month (or both for warranty purposes).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 09-28-2014, 02:03 AM   #14

Honestly, anybody who buys a scooter like this should learn to change the oil. It's not that hard.

I would dispute any warranty policy that states I must take my vehicle to a dealer for an oil change. It would be a deal breaker for me.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-28-2014, 09:15 AM   #15

My manual recommends changing the oil every 1000km (621mi). I'll change it every 500 miles just because I drive hard. Oil is cheap to change in these machines, it is easy to do, so why not?