Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2019, 10:12 PM   #1

Fresh China rider

Hi,
Greetings from California.
I just received my new 2020 tao TBR7 with zero miles
assembled it today and am having electrical issues straight away.
The 10a fuse just blows out and there is no power going to anything
Has anyone seen this or can point me in the right direction.
ill try to post in another place for more help

Old 09-17-2019, 12:13 AM   #2

Fuse popping means there's a short somewhere. I'd start simple, check the battery voltage with a DMM. Make sure battery cables are installed correctly (pos to pos, neg to neg). Assuming all of that is good to go, start checking continuity in wires. If the DMM shows no continuity, you have (most likely) found your problem

Old 09-17-2019, 10:10 AM   #3

Welcome aboard! Congrats on your purchase, and am glad your new bike didn't have any miles on it. One can only imagine a freight company, driver, that is looking for a new bike, that wants to research all the brands, and gives a nice new bike a try. I'm just kidding this morning....LOL

95c is correct in the above info.

Post a pix or two and welcome aboard!
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 09-17-2019, 06:19 PM   #4

Welcome. I hate to admit this but I had the same problem. I had my battery cables hooked up opposite e.g. plus to minus and minus to plus. The only reason I did that is because the battery has a RED plug on the minus side so I just assumed it was positive. Once I corrected it, replaced the fuse it fired right up! No harm no foul.....

Old 09-17-2019, 09:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by descartesairplane View Post
Welcome. I hate to admit this but I had the same problem. I had my battery cables hooked up opposite e.g. plus to minus and minus to plus. The only reason I did that is because the battery has a RED plug on the minus side so I just assumed it was positive. Once I corrected it, replaced the fuse it fired right up! No harm no foul.....
Glad you discovered it...great advice ...was going to say guilty as charged, but my 15yo said that is a bad dad joke... lol
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 09-18-2019, 11:19 AM   #6

If your battery is connected properly and it still blows the fuse, unplug the regulator / rectifier and see if the fuse still pops.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-18-2019, 01:48 PM   #7

yeah I totally had the battery cables hooked up backwards. thank you guys for replying.
switched em and everything was good. Rookie mistake and I should know better at this point.
This did give me the opportunity to pull the tank off and upgrade the carb with the nzbrakelathes kit and change the shipping oil out as well as check valve adjustment.

first start was super easy and I got the paint burned off overall I'm really pleased with the bike I received.
I ordered from txpowersports and they were good I think they drop shipped directly from Tao motor in l.a. I received a 2020 model year with a manufacture date of 7/19.

Last edited by teebr7; 09-18-2019 at 01:51 PM. Reason: misquote

Old 09-18-2019, 03:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebr7 View Post
yeah I totally had the battery cables hooked up backwards. thank you guys for replying.
switched em and everything was good. Rookie mistake and I should know better at this point.
This did give me the opportunity to pull the tank off and upgrade the carb with the nzbrakelathes kit and change the shipping oil out as well as check valve adjustment.

first start was super easy and I got the paint burned off overall I'm really pleased with the bike I received.
I ordered from txpowersports and they were good I think they drop shipped directly from Tao motor in l.a. I received a 2020 model year with a manufacture date of 7/19.
I also ordered from them and am expecting mine this afternoon, be interesting to see if I get a 2020 model.
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 09-19-2019, 01:45 AM   #9

Congrats Alex !

Old 09-19-2019, 09:25 AM   #10

Welcome to here! Glad you sorted out the fuse issue. They shipped the bike to you in California?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard