Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2016, 05:56 PM   #1

One Year Anniversary

Last year my early Christmas present was a new Zongshen RX3.

I had been following the thread on ADVrider for months and the "free shipping" offer pushed me over the edge.

It's been a year of ups and downs.

The excitement and anticipation of unloading/unpacking the crate:

Later same day, on my first ride, the bike stalled in the middle of a busy intersection and would not restart.

With cars speeding by, I managed to push the bike through the intersection and to the side of the road.

After a short prayer, giving thanks that I hadn't ended up as road kill, I pushed the starter button, and the bike started up.

Ever since, the RX3 has started up on the first push of the button.

Over the next few weeks, I did the "run-in, read the Owner's Manual, and watched all the on-line maintenance videos.

I learned to do oil changes:

And valve clearance checks:

I didn't take long to realize I needed to do some thing about the rear suspension.

Days were spent riding back and forth on the same stretch of rough road.

Adjusted the sag several times, and played with the damping adjustment over and over...small adjustments make a big difference.

Finally, I was able to find settings that didn't jar my backbone on every bump.

I spent many days riding rural Florida roads.

About the 3,000 mile mark, I started hearing a metal tapping noise coming from the engine. It may have started earlier, but my hearing is not good, and I wear earplugs when riding.

I took the bike to the two local independent motorcycle shops in town to let their mechanics take a listen. They agreed that there was something wrong, but didn't know what.....and they wouldn't agree to work on the bike.

After a few emails, and talking to Gerry on the phone, I decided to ship the bike back to CSC.

The problem turned out to be a damaged cam shaft and related parts......

.....caused by ME, and not covered by the warranty. The exhaust valve clearance had gone to zero and caused the damage.

The bike never exhibited any signs of closed valve clearances. It always started right up and ran with full power.

Nevertheless, CSC (Steve Seidner) graciously covered the repair under their "Good Will Policy".

A couple of weeks later I was back on the road.

For two months the RX3 lived in North Carolina.

This is where the RX3 really shines. On the curvy roads and through the many changes in elevation, the bike clings to the road.

It is really well-balanced, and handles paved roads better that my DR650 or XT250.

Off road, the DR and XT are preferred, due mainly to their suspension.

During those 2 months, I rode the DR650 only twice.

IMO, the mountains are the ideal environment for the RX3.

I decided to trailer the RX3 back to Florida for one more try at the land of flat and straight.

I still ride it regularly. 8,400 miles on the odometer.

The bike is comfortable for me riding at 55-60 mph.

I'm still a bit nervous pulling into fast moving traffic, and I keep an eye on the mirror to let faster traffic go by:

One year.

Nine oil changes, 6 valve checks (I'm due again). All weren't required. Mostly self induced.

A few accessories:

wrap-around hand guards
handlebar risers
mirrors
narrow seat
lowering link
center stand
lighter and USB ports
Progressive shock
tank bag and mount
19" front wheel
battery charger pigtail
GPS mount

It hasn't exactly been inexpensive.

I've decided that the RX3 needs to return to the mountains in the Spring and stay where it is best suited.

But I am undecided as what to do long term. I already have two bikes in NC that sit unused for 9 or 10 months...don't know if I need three.

The RX3 fits me better than any other bike I have ridden. If it had 10 more horsepower/torque, there would be no question as to which to keep.

For now I'll keep riding it, but if I get an offer I can't refuse, the RX3 may find a new home.

....and now it has to share riding time with this year's Christmas present....

jb

Old 12-06-2016, 07:03 PM   #2

Yeah, I'd noticed the T-100 in your sig line.
Such a tough situation to be in, not enough time to ride all the bikes you own.

Let's try this line of thought: If you improved the suspension on the RX3 to make it more dirt suitable (swapping forks, etc.) which bike(s) would you no longer keep?

<deep chucklep

Old 12-06-2016, 10:17 PM   #3

MEGA THREAD POST

thanks for the recap
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 12-07-2016, 12:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
Let's try this line of thought: If you improved the suspension on the RX3 to make it more dirt suitable (swapping forks, etc.) which bike(s) would you no longer keep? ........
Jay, I don't have the inclination (or the skills) to construct a YamaZong as Spud did.

I am already giving up a few days riding to work on the Zong.

Need a valve check, new rear tire, chain and sprockets, and check the swing arm bearings.

Due to age and health issues, I would rather spend time riding than anything else.

I usually sell/trade whichever bike is being used the least. This time it was the Scout...only 3,000 miles in a year and a half.

The DR 650 would be the next likely candidate...only ~200 miles the whole year (2 months in summer).

I really like the RX3. It was my bike of choice in NC. But since I use it primarily on the highway, I need something with a bit more oomph.

Don't think I can wait for the 450 cc Zong...don't know if I will even be riding in a couple of years.

I'll keep the RX3 until Spring. Should easily have 10,000 miles.....and then?

jb

Old 12-07-2016, 11:04 AM   #5

Great write-up! Thanks for sharing.

I know what you mean about too many bikes though and not enough miles. I've been whittling through my rolling stock (mostly mentally). Sold my big Vic, the Yamaha is next to go. Probably end up selling the Husky to the right person, as well. I haven't ridden it in years. I know what you mean about "age/health".

With where we live, I've had more fun on the RX3 than the other bikes. It's so tossable in the twisties and we do virtually zero "straight-flat".

I do want to keep both dual sports though. I prefer those on the more off-road and gravel. Plus, jumping on Q is just a nice change. It's a great bike and compared to the RX3, is feather light. After riding mega-cruisers for a long time, getting back on the small displacement stuff has really been a blast.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-07-2016, 12:14 PM   #6

JB, I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions about the Bonnie. I've admired them from afar for quite awhile.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-08-2016, 12:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Great write-up! Thanks for sharing.

I know what you mean about too many bikes though and not enough miles. I've been whittling through my rolling stock (mostly mentally). Sold my big Vic, the Yamaha is next to go. Probably end up selling the Husky to the right person, as well. I haven't ridden it in years. I know what you mean about "age/health".

With where we live, I've had more fun on the RX3 than the other bikes. It's so tossable in the twisties and we do virtually zero "straight-flat".

I do want to keep both dual sports though. I prefer those on the more off-road and gravel. Plus, jumping on Q is just a nice change. It's a great bike and compared to the RX3, is feather light. After riding mega-cruisers for a long time, getting back on the small displacement stuff has really been a blast.
You sold the victory? Wow this is getting serious.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 12-08-2016, 09:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
You sold the victory? Wow this is getting serious.
Tell me about it..........
Mrs. 2LZ still has her Kingpin but my TC went away about 6 months ago. Our riding habits have completely changed. I stay basically local now instead of bike camping all the time.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 12-08-2016, 12:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Tell me about it..........
Mrs. 2LZ still has her Kingpin but my TC went away about 6 months ago. Our riding habits have completely changed. I stay basically local now instead of bike camping all the time.
Oops, sorry I thought you meant that stunning kingpin. The looks of that bike will remain fresh forever. I remember that pic you posted that time

You were talking about the cruiser forgot about that one http://www.chinariders.net/showpost....4&postcount=49

Sorry jb, I'm rattling off thread... you mentioned about the little bit more power needed for the rx3? This is why I am holding out for the rx4, I think it will be the perfect compromise between power, weight and of course the whole reason for Chinese motorcycles...LOW PRICE

It's been really hard to resist the rx3 especially now since it's discounted. I got this bonus money just burnin a hole...think I will lock it up in a CD so I can't get my grubby hands on it

Old 12-08-2016, 04:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post

Sorry jb, I'm rattling off thread... you mentioned about the little bit more power needed for the rx3? This is why I am holding out for the rx4......

It's been really hard to resist the rx3 especially now since it's discounted.....t
BB, the power of the RX3 is fine for the mountains.

It's the long, straight stretches of highway in Florida that make me wish for a bit more acceleration and speed.

Even though the speed limit on those roads is 55 mph, there is little law enforcement presence, and cars and trucks regularly travel at 70+ mph.

I have to keep one eye fixed on the rear view mirror to keep from getting "surprised".

jb

Old 12-08-2016, 04:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
JB, I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions about the Bonnie. I've admired them from afar for quite awhile.
Weld,

I may be a bit biased about the Bonnevilles.

I had my '06 T-100 for 5 years/25,000 miles. It took me cross country and never let me down, and required only minimal maintenance.....

The '06 had the air/oil cooled 865cc engine with a pair of carburetors....easy to work on.

The new version of the Bonneville line (Street Twin, Street Cup, Scrambler, and T-100) use a 900 cc, fuel injected, water cooled engine.

There are also the T-120 and Thruxton that have a 1200cc parallel twin.

There is no comparison in performance between the new High Torque engines and the old engines.

The new engines have their peak torque at a very usable 3,300 rpm.

The crank timing has also been changed from 360 degrees to 270, which gives the bike a little more "rumble". The stock exhausts even sound good.

Plus:
  • ABS
  • Traction control
  • Ride By Wire
  • Immobiliser
  • LED rear light
  • USB Power Socket
  • Trip Computer
Very modern electronics under the old looks.

It's not a sport bike, cruiser, touring or sport touring bike.

Just a good "all rounder" with a "standard" riding position, which is important at my age.

And when the time comes, I'll add a sidecar.

Lots of Youtube videos on the new Bonnevilles.

jb

Last edited by jbfla; 12-08-2016 at 07:55 PM.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:14 PM   #12

I know the old versions of the "new" bikes (like your 06) were supposed to be very good. My Vic dealer here also carried Triumph and he said they've been excellent, regarding reliability. Nice to hear they've bene improving in the performance/technology department. I know what you mean about the riding position now. It's why I find the RX3 so comfy.

2009 Q Link XP 200