Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-2011, 08:48 PM   #1

Tao Tao 150B ATV Review

Hey Folks,

Bought a TT 150B on trade in through a dealer earlier this month. I basically paid MSRP for it, which is about twice as much as I wanted to pay for a china bike, but I wanted to lose the trade in so it worked out.

There are a couple reason why I bought the 150B: It is full size, was available, and it is fully auto with reverse (larger engines were semi auto).

The ATV comes with a couple headlights (high and low beam), a popular GY6 engine/ transmission/ carb setup that is usually found on scooters, A arm front suspension, and solid rear chain drive. It also has the usual rear disk/ front drum setup for brakes.

We had a small TT 110 ATV that really impressed us with build quality and features, a lot for the price. The 150B is a different story, as it has been underwhelming and just so-so in leaving impressions.

The build quality is OK but on the shoddier end of the spectrum, with some sloppy welds and plastic body cuts that look like they were made by a 10 year old (they probably were). There is a fault in the design of the footwells that will lead to them breaking prematurely. While the 110 came with a safety tether and remote start, the 150 comes with none of that facy stuff. Just the basics and nothing more.

Wires were loose and had to be tied up. Many bolts were loose when I got it home, despite the dealer saying that they were all tightened. The bike made some terrible rattling noises when riding that were mostly cleared up with tightening but not all. The chain was also too tight and had to be loosened. The steering design is also a bit imperfect, as the front tires don't turn at the same angle, leading to a "floating" feeling while turning on more solid surfaces. Also there is a lot of rust on the bike after washing it (I washed it after each trail ride), and it will need some extensive body work to keep water out of the frame.

Despite the above complaints, this bike is a lot of metal for the money. The GY6 seems quite smooth and capable, despite my worries that it was too small for a bike of this size. The ride is fairly smooth and the adjustable shocks work.

Since buying it we've put about 5 hours on it. I've changed the oil once, and will be changing it again soon. I've requested a new footwell from Tao Tao Canada/ the dealer but haven't heard anything back. We've taken it in some long grass and on some long trails behind our house. It has handled medium grades and shallow puddles and mud, but don't try doing anything serious with this one.

The GY6 is easy to drive and very good on fuel! We haven't even used a full tank yet and we've been riding with some fairly heavy loads.

There are a couple problems I've been unable to resolve. The engine idles inconsistently, sometimes "racing" while at idle. I read this can happen when too much oil is in the engine, but I've checked and it has the right amount. It also still has a large rattle from the rear right at a certain RPM, it may be the muffler, not sure.

While some Tao Taos are great - the 110 series is amazing for the price - it'd be best to stick with Gio or Linhai in Canada for the larger ATVs.