Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2020, 10:24 AM   #46

Doh! No go in RI for any china bikes

Hi,

Was thinking about getting my girl a hawk or apollo db-36 supermoto to learn on the VIN on the Hawk will come up as a dirtbike and is not fmvss so no go.

now the Apollo vin comes back fine and you might be able to sneak it through if you dont go to the Cranston DMV but enforcement hates china bikes and will shoot down any china bikes they specifically mentioned the CSC bikes. They actually seemed proud that they were stopping people from registering them.

On a side note they looked up the Apollo db-36 and went on to say its not safe tires are too exposed, They were not happy when I told them that the tires were the same amount exposed as on my XR650L that is RI plated. they also told me that the apollo bikes were some of the ones they crushed a few months back in a crack down on illegal riding on the city streets

Good luck if your trying in RI you have to love this fct state

Old 02-26-2020, 10:31 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mors30001 View Post
Hi,

Was thinking about getting my girl a hawk or apollo db-36 supermoto to learn on the VIN on the Hawk will come up as a dirtbike and is not fmvss so no go.

now the Apollo vin comes back fine and you might be able to sneak it through if you dont go to the Cranston DMV but enforcement hates china bikes and will shoot down any china bikes they specifically mentioned the CSC bikes. They actually seemed proud that they were stopping people from registering them.

On a side note they looked up the Apollo db-36 and went on to say its not safe tires are too exposed, They were not happy when I told them that the tires were the same amount exposed as on my XR650L that is RI plated. they also told me that the apollo bikes were some of the ones they crushed a few months back in a crack down on illegal riding on the city streets

Good luck if your trying in RI you have to love this fct state
I can understand the Hawk but any other bike that has fmvss should be able to register. What a bunch of dumb #@%*. Even the Hawk DXL has fmvss. I would have to move.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-17-2020, 10:41 AM   #48

this is killing me. im ready to buy taotbr7 from txpowersports and still cant know for sure if i can register in Pa. one person or place says yes and the next says no HELP!!!

Old 04-17-2020, 02:13 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8lampini View Post
this is killing me. im ready to buy taotbr7 from txpowersports and still cant know for sure if i can register in Pa. one person or place says yes and the next says no HELP!!!

I have ended the anguish, I had a bike ordered and had several bumps in the road along the way, I took that as a sign and cancelled the order and as soon as things settle down a little I am going to buy a bike that I know I can get registered and tagged and then save my pennies for a china bike and if it doesn't get registered It wont be the end of the world.
it will cost me twice as much but the peace of mind and not having to argue with the squareheads at the county tax collectors office is well worth to me.

Old 07-17-2020, 02:20 PM   #50

I have NTSHA label on the HAWK EFI DLX, and DMV does not care..

Old 08-06-2020, 01:39 PM   #51

Just got my paper work yesterday 8/5/20 went to a local notary and $250 dollars later walked out with license plate temporary registration and a copy of insurance. My vin# starts with "LOW".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_From_PA View Post
PENNSYLVANIA - NEW RULE.

NO VIN'S STARTING WITH "L" !!!

(sorry for yelling)

Link to story :

http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews....jsp?id=564901

Old 08-24-2020, 10:30 PM   #52

Hi Everyone,

I am considering buying one of these bikes for myself. I live in PA and was wondering IF ANYONE has had ANY PROBLEMS getting TAGS for these bikes in PA???

The bikes are the: DongFang 250CC DF250RTS Razor OR the DongFang Venom X22R 250

If ANYONE has had ANY ISSUES with these bikes please let me know so I don't waste my money...

Thanks everyone...

Joe...

Old 11-11-2020, 06:59 AM   #53

NJ doesn’t make it easy

Bought a “street legal” EPA and DOT approved 2020 RPS Hawk 250 and had it shipped from Texas. I was impressed with the bike for the money. When I went to title it, I was told it was not registered with the NSTHA (National Safety Transportation Highway Authority). With plates in Front of me, paperwork filled out, the last four words you want to hear from NJMVC are “we have a problem”. Weeks later end result was shipping it back to the vendor who tried to push back. Don’t sell as street legal when they are not!
I still want to get another; can anyone tell me a good Chinese bike that I can title and ride legally in NJ?
Here is a list I found on the link below:https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/vehi...ufacturers.pdf.
If anyone can advise it’s appreciated. The Hawk had great reviews, don’t know about the others. Thanks, and for those in the beautiful over regulated state of NJ don’t make my mistake!

Old 11-11-2020, 07:26 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderRick View Post
Bought a “street legal” EPA and DOT approved 2020 RPS Hawk 250 and had it shipped from Texas. I was impressed with the bike for the money. When I went to title it, I was told it was not registered with the NSTHA (National Safety Transportation Highway Authority). With plates in Front of me, paperwork filled out, the last four words you want to hear from NJMVC are “we have a problem”. Weeks later end result was shipping it back to the vendor who tried to push back. Don’t sell as street legal when they are not!
I still want to get another; can anyone tell me a good Chinese bike that I can title and ride legally in NJ?
Here is a list I found on the link below:https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/vehi...ufacturers.pdf.
If anyone can advise it’s appreciated. The Hawk had great reviews, don’t know about the others. Thanks, and for those in the beautiful over regulated state of NJ don’t make my mistake!
The first problem i see is that list is from 2018. The Hawk DXL came out after that. The Hawk DXL should not be a problem. There should be a NSTHA tag on the bike.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-11-2020, 08:53 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
The first problem i see is that list is from 2018. The Hawk DXL came out after that. The Hawk DXL should not be a problem. There should be a NSTHA tag on the bike.
I do not live in NJ (as you know) but from another thread, NJ strictly goes by their 'LIST' even if it's a few years old. I think the problem lies with serial numbers. So, since the RPS bikes begin with a certain serial number, until NJ recognizes the DLX, it will be no go. But, already recognized brands and their serial numbers will allow one to plate newer than 2018 bikes, like the Tao TBR7.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-14-2020, 09:47 AM   #56

No Problems in Texas

Steps to Register / Obtain Title in Texas:

1) Get insurance
2) Get bike inspected
3) Take insurance card, inspection certificate, MCO, Bill of Sale and form U130 to county tax accessors office.

It took about 15 minutes and walked out with license plate in hand.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:06 PM   #57

To:
Originally Posted by RiderRick

I clicked on the link for the PDF and is DOES NOT LOAD...

Old 11-25-2020, 12:25 PM   #58

I live in New Jersey. The Hawk is a no go of any kind.

I successfully registered a Tao Tao TBR7 in September 2020 with zero issues.

Agreed, they are strict to adhering to the motorcycle manufacturer list. If the first three digits of the bike's VIN are on the list, you are good. Else, no.

Contact the reseller for the first three digits of a VIN on a bike they sell to check. Very simple.

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/vehi...ufacturers.pdf

Old 12-05-2020, 02:12 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyTBR7 View Post
I live in New Jersey. The Hawk is a no go of any kind.

I successfully registered a Tao Tao TBR7 in September 2020 with zero issues.

Agreed, they are strict to adhering to the motorcycle manufacturer list. If the first three digits of the bike's VIN are on the list, you are good. Else, no.

Contact the reseller for the first three digits of a VIN on a bike they sell to check. Very simple.

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/vehi...ufacturers.pdf
for you new jersey guys out there, I just got back from Turnersville MVC who was able to transfer everything over. I got the bike a year and a half ago and registered it in VT initially just to save myself the time, since at the time it was unclear whether or not the carbed hawk 250 is street legal in NJ. Most vendors say that it is not legal in NJ. Furthermore, VIN "L0W" is not on NJ's list of approved manufacturers. EFI hawk is obviously no problem since it has a different VIN.

But anyway, despite conflicting information online, I can confirm that the 2018 Hawk 250 can be titled and registered in NJ.

So, I effectively "washed" the paperwork through VT dmv which might be why it worked. They registered it as a HAO make and CYL model, which was consistent with the VT reg. A friend from the Hawk 250 owners group on facebook registered his at the same location fresh from the MCO document, as a Hawk(make) 250(model). So its possible that the rules have changed, maybe some Covid-related ignorance, im not sure.

Old 01-26-2021, 03:11 PM   #60

How did you all get a notarized MCO? My MCO was not notarized from Powersprotsmax