Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2015, 12:49 PM   #1

Night flying

Believe me my rural area is nothing special at night, especially compared to those of you who live around cities but I thought these simple shots were worht sharing.

Tri-Cities, Washington and Ice Harbor dam on the Snake River.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:50 PM   #2

Nice photos, doc.

On my first night flight, years ago, from West Palm Beach to Miami, I was amazed that there wasn't a dark spot the whole way.

jb

Old 12-28-2015, 03:55 PM   #3

In Florida the dark spots are called 'swamps' :-) The hard spots in the swamps are called 'alligators'. Probably best to ditch in the dark so you can't see them LOL!

Do you still fly JB?

Old 12-28-2015, 04:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post

Do you still fly JB?
Only the occasional ultralight flight (friends aircraft).

Lost my medical about 7 years ago. Darn FAA doesn't like heart patients (pacemaker) in the left seat.

jb

Old 12-28-2015, 04:01 PM   #5

Flying over the desert here is a near IFR experience at night. No horizon or frame of reference on a moonless night, especially if overcast. It can be pretty weird.

I won't fly night over mountainous terrain or large bodies of water or cities or less than ideal weather (for the most part). I take risks, but I manage them and try to not combine them.

I assume you know the old addage but I'll share it here for everyone's amusement:

Q: 'What's the emergency procedeure for an engine out in the dark?'

A 'Turn on your landing light. If you don't like what you see, turn it off'.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
Only the occasional ultralight flight (friends aircraft).

Lost my medical about 7 years ago. Darn FAA doesn't like heart patients (pacemaker) in the left seat.

jb
If I lived in Florida I'd love to have an ultralight.

Spud has a lot of stick time in an ultralight, hopefully he chimes in :-)

Old 12-28-2015, 04:04 PM   #7

You CAN get a medical with a pacemaker. It's a bit of a PIA but do-able. Here is the AME guide so you can see the inside track if you wanted:

Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners
Print

Decision Considerations
Disease Protocols
Implanted Pacemaker
A 2-month recovery period must elapse after the pacemaker implantation to allow for recovery and stabilization. Submit the following:
1.Copies of hospital/medical records pertaining to the requirement for the pacemaker, make of the generator and leads, model and serial number, admission/discharge summaries, operative report, and all ECG tracings.
2.Evaluation of pacemaker function to include description and documentation of underlying rate and rhythm with the pacer turned "off" or at its lowest setting (pacemaker dependency), programmed pacemaker parameters, surveillance record, and exclusion of myopotential inhibition and pacemaker induced hypotension (pacemaker syndrome), Powerpack data including beginning of life (BOL) and elective replacement indicator/end of life (ERI/EOL).
3.Readable samples of all electronic pacemaker surveillance records post surgery or over the past 6 months, or whichever is longer. It must include a sample strip with pacemaker in free running mode and unless contraindicated, a sample strip with the pacemaker in magnetic mode.
4.An assessment and statement from a physician regarding general physical and cardiac examination to include symptoms or treatment referable to the cardiovascular system; the airman's interim and current cardiac condition, functional capacity, medical history, and medications.
5.A report of current fasting blood sugar and a current blood lipid profile to include: total cholesterol, HDL, LDL, and triglycerides.
6.A current Holter monitor evaluation for at least 24-consecutive hours, to include select representative tracings.
7.A current M-mode, 2-dimensional echocardiogram with Doppler.
8.A current Maximal Graded Exercise Stress Test Requirements
9.It is the responsibility of each applicant to provide the medical information required to determine his/her eligibility for airman medical certification. A medical release form may help in obtaining the necessary information.

All information shall be forwarded in one mailing to:
Medical Appeals Section, AAM-313 Aerospace Medical Certification Division Federal Aviation Administration Post Office Box 26080 Oklahoma City OK 73125-9914 Medical Appeals Section, AAM-313 Aerospace Medical Certification Division Federal Aviation Administration 6700 S MacArthur Blvd., Room B-13 Oklahoma City OK 73169
No consideration can be given for special issuance until all the required data has been received.

The use of the airman's full name and date of birth on all correspondence and reports will aid the agency in locating the proper file.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:38 PM   #8

Quote:
If I lived in Florida I'd love to have an ultralight.

Spud has a lot of stick time in an ultralight, hopefully he chimes in :-)
Thanks for posting the great photos, Doc.

I owned an Air Creations, powered hang glider for a few years. It was an absolute blast to fly.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-28-2015, 08:24 PM   #9

What are you flying doc ?I have a 180 on floats and skis I bought for my daughter ,I fly it more than her though ,someday I guess I should start working on my licence someday l.o.l .

Old 12-28-2015, 08:53 PM   #10

Quote:
You CAN get a medical with a pacemaker. It's a bit of a PIA but do-able. Here is the AME guide so you can see the inside track if you wanted:.....
Thanks for the info.

Asked my AME what the chances were. He reported, not good.

You probably know what an ejection fraction of 20 means. That was the low, worked it up to about 40, and will likely get no better.

Still have my balance and enough strength to hold onto the handlebars...

jb

Old 12-29-2015, 02:09 AM   #11

Good for you, JB. Keep on riding.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-29-2015, 11:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce's View Post
What are you flying doc ?I have a 180 on floats and skis I bought for my daughter ,I fly it more than her though ,someday I guess I should start working on my licence someday l.o.l .
A 180 on floats would be one of the all time great floatplanes. I got my floaplane rating in a Super Cub but I have a fair amount of 182 time, but that was a retractable.

You have a very blessed daughter to have you as a father indeed.

If I had access to a plane like that and no certificate I'd suspend life in general long enough tpo get rated. Just sayin'

:-)

Old 12-29-2015, 11:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
Thanks for the info.

Asked my AME what the chances were. He reported, not good.

You probably know what an ejection fraction of 20 means. That was the low, worked it up to about 40, and will likely get no better.

Still have my balance and enough strength to hold onto the handlebars...

jb
20% is pretty low. I am glad you improved to 40%. At that level you won't be a marathoner but can have a very normal healthy life.

To be honest I enjoy riding as much as I enjoy flying. More in some ways. Riding is a heck of a lot easier (in general), less stressful, and a zillion times cheaper. Also, I suspect I will be able to safely ride long after I can no longer fly, either due to medical or financial reasons.

If you have a pacemaker, if you were so inclined, I'd say if all else is normal and tests are passed, your chances of getting a medical are better than 90%. If you have an ICD however, the door is closed.

Enjoy the bike and the ultralight, and save the money and spend it on riding vacations!

Old 12-29-2015, 12:01 PM   #14

Thanks for the pics, Doc. I don't think I've ever been in a small plane at night.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-29-2015, 12:04 PM   #15

I have been around bush planes all my life ,my friends father owned a beaver which we went on hundreds of trips with ,and he was always showing us and having us fly the thing .My daughter is 25 ,been going to school and working hard ,wants to be a lawyer and should have no issue completing that .Anyway ,a few years ago ,the kids bought me a wii ,and I noticed she loved a game with a biplane in it .She is tough to buy anything for ,so for her birthday I got her some flying lessons ,and she had fun with it and did great .I found the Cessna with some damaged landing gear for cheap ($2500),fixed it myself and we have been enjoying it for a few years now .I easily have enough hours to get my tickets ,enjoy flying ,but just have not bothered to start the process .i have never flown with wheels ,just off the lakes around here .There is an airport less than a mile from my home with a flight school .