Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2020, 12:27 AM   #1

Thinking of buying a Hawk 250...

I'm predominantly a Chinese quad owner/rider... But I've been bitten by a bug to get a dual sport that I can zip around town with and take to some light trails.

I'm very much used to and familiar with what comes along with buying an inexpensive Chinese vehicle, so nothing new there.

Is there a preferred vendor to purchase from? Google searches lead me to hawk250.org and they seem to recommend TXpowersports.com. Prices all set within $100 and free shipping regardless of whom you buy from. Or so it seems. Although I've read some horror stories about dealing with txpowersports...

What about Q9powersportsusa?

By far what is the most popular color? It seems all but black are out of stock in many places.

Is there perhaps another bike I should be considering? I know about the Hawk 250 DLK and it's EFI... I'd rather not stretch the budget that much and am comfortable with carburetors.

Thanks for any advice!

Old 04-18-2020, 12:56 AM   #2

Budget is what really comes into play as far as what your options are. Stuck to no more than say 1500 bucks, then the options are pretty much limited to a Hawk or TBR7.

There is also the question of wheel and tire size. The Hawk has the advantage of 18 and 21 inch wheels, which gives it a slight edge in off road riding and especially in tire selection. The TBR7 comes with the smaller 17 and 19 inch wheels which make it a bit better on road, but also limits tire options quite a bit.

For about 300 more (1750-1800) you end up in Bashan Brozz territory, which has a lot of nice features and a little better quality and support than the Hawk or TBR7. This bike comes with the same wheel and tire size as the TBR7, so the same issues apply, but it also has a counter balanced motor, so it makes for a smoother experience.

The Bashan equivalent to the Hawk, and roughly the same price as the Brozz, would be the CRP 250. No counter balancer, 18 and 21 inch wheels, but has inverted forks like the Brozz.

After that you are entering your budget stretching territory. One you do know, the Hawk DLX. The other would be the best off-road capable dual sport for 2k or less which is the RXB-250L. Both bikes, AFAIK are out of stock at the moment, but should be back in stock in a month or so.

Assuming we are sticking to said Hawk, then the answer your questions...

Preferred Vendor? Ask any two people here and get two different answers as to what vendor is good or bad. I personally am not a fan of Texas powersports due to more than one bad encounter with them while others sing their praises. I ordered two Hawks from Killermotorsports and had good experiences both times, but others have had bad ones. So, I would say there really is no solid preference as it all seems to be the same in the end.

Black is the most popular color on this forum it seems, but the Green also seems to be quite popular. I think they mostly order Black and it just ends up being the Model T scenario - you can have any color you want as long as it is black.

I personally love the Hawk. The Hawk is kind of like a mostly assembled kit bike that you can turn into whatever you want it to be. It is cheaper, and yes some parts seem to have hit or miss quality, but as a whole it is a solid bike.

As you said, you are familiar with the cheap chinese vehicle issues, so that also means you understand that you will get out of the bike what you put into it. One great advantage of the Hawk is the number of owners and the amount of information on problems and fixes. If the time is taken to go through the bike properly, they can give thousands of miles of service with few issues. When there is an issue it is usually easy and cheap to fix.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-18-2020, 10:27 AM   #3

I bought two bikes from Q9 Powersports with no purchase or delivery issues.

Old 04-18-2020, 10:35 AM   #4

Cain also look on craigslist or facebook marketplace. I found one for 1/4th the price new. I have put a few thousand miles on it and certainly got my $$$ out of it.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:55 PM   #5

Thumbs Up

Excellent information! It's funny.... Pretty much everything you said also applies almost verbatim to my 3d printing hobby. I'm a part of a group of people that embrace and use a Chinese clone of an older Prusa i3 printer that costs 4x what the Clone does. It would seem that an identical philosophy as well as caveats apply here.

I placed an order for a new Hawk 250 from txpowersports on Monday morning, paid a few bucks for rush processing to knock a few days off of that. So let's hope maybe by end of next week I'll have it.

I was going to order from Q9 but there's just as many negative feedback posts about them as TX or anyone else. Seems it kinda just doesn't matter whom you buy from in that regard. Plus they said that while black was in Stock, the other colors would probably be end of May early June... Then when I went to order a black bike, out of stock.

Oh, and I've been catching up on your YouTube videos lately just by chance..putting two and two together to know your name here to the channel name. Love the content. Very helpful and entertaining too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Budget is what really comes into play as far as what your options are. Stuck to no more than say 1500 bucks, then the options are pretty much limited to a Hawk or TBR7.

There is also the question of wheel and tire size. The Hawk has the advantage of 18 and 21 inch wheels, which gives it a slight edge in off road riding and especially in tire selection. The TBR7 comes with the smaller 17 and 19 inch wheels which make it a bit better on road, but also limits tire options quite a bit.

For about 300 more (1750-1800) you end up in Bashan Brozz territory, which has a lot of nice features and a little better quality and support than the Hawk or TBR7. This bike comes with the same wheel and tire size as the TBR7, so the same issues apply, but it also has a counter balanced motor, so it makes for a smoother experience.

The Bashan equivalent to the Hawk, and roughly the same price as the Brozz, would be the CRP 250. No counter balancer, 18 and 21 inch wheels, but has inverted forks like the Brozz.

After that you are entering your budget stretching territory. One you do know, the Hawk DLX. The other would be the best off-road capable dual sport for 2k or less which is the RXB-250L. Both bikes, AFAIK are out of stock at the moment, but should be back in stock in a month or so.

Assuming we are sticking to said Hawk, then the answer your questions...

Preferred Vendor? Ask any two people here and get two different answers as to what vendor is good or bad. I personally am not a fan of Texas powersports due to more than one bad encounter with them while others sing their praises. I ordered two Hawks from Killermotorsports and had good experiences both times, but others have had bad ones. So, I would say there really is no solid preference as it all seems to be the same in the end.

Black is the most popular color on this forum it seems, but the Green also seems to be quite popular. I think they mostly order Black and it just ends up being the Model T scenario - you can have any color you want as long as it is black.

I personally love the Hawk. The Hawk is kind of like a mostly assembled kit bike that you can turn into whatever you want it to be. It is cheaper, and yes some parts seem to have hit or miss quality, but as a whole it is a solid bike.

As you said, you are familiar with the cheap chinese vehicle issues, so that also means you understand that you will get out of the bike what you put into it. One great advantage of the Hawk is the number of owners and the amount of information on problems and fixes. If the time is taken to go through the bike properly, they can give thousands of miles of service with few issues. When there is an issue it is usually easy and cheap to fix.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundhouse View Post
Cain also look on craigslist or facebook marketplace. I found one for 1/4th the price new. I have put a few thousand miles on it and certainly got my $$$ out of it.
I did look too, some good stuff normally.. Lately or seems that at least locally there's only garbage or way overpriced bikes..and not very many postings, probably as so many people are trying not to interact with the whole coronavirus thing going on.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard_Cain View Post
Excellent information! It's funny.... Pretty much everything you said also applies almost verbatim to my 3d printing hobby. I'm a part of a group of people that embrace and use a Chinese clone of an older Prusa i3 printer that costs 4x what the Clone does. It would seem that an identical philosophy as well as caveats apply here.

I placed an order for a new Hawk 250 from txpowersports on Monday morning, paid a few bucks for rush processing to knock a few days off of that. So let's hope maybe by end of next week I'll have it.

I was going to order from Q9 but there's just as many negative feedback posts about them as TX or anyone else. Seems it kinda just doesn't matter whom you buy from in that regard. Plus they said that while black was in Stock, the other colors would probably be end of May early June... Then when I went to order a black bike, out of stock.

Oh, and I've been catching up on your YouTube videos lately just by chance..putting two and two together to know your name here to the channel name. Love the content. Very helpful and entertaining too!
Did the Hawk arrive yet??? inquiring minds want to know

Old 05-06-2020, 04:56 PM   #8

He must be out riding ???

Old 05-06-2020, 07:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ina Ditch View Post
Haha, if that's the case he was luckier than me. I'm going over everything with a fine tooth comb before I take it out on a longer ride. Everyday I'm making progress so hopefully by the time I get the paperwork for registration it will be ready.

Old 05-06-2020, 07:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Did the Hawk arrive yet??? inquiring minds want to know
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKP View Post
Haha, if that's the case he was luckier than me. I'm going over everything with a fine tooth comb before I take it out on a longer ride. Everyday I'm making progress so hopefully by the time I get the paperwork for registration it will be ready.
Not yet my friends.... Although preemptively purchased parts and upgrades have started to roll in.

The deadline for the earliest I was told it would arrive is next week. If I hear nothing by next Friday, I'll call them up that following Monday and inquire.

In the meantime I'm overhauling my pregen ninja 250. I gotta tell ta though, I'm really itching to get the Hawk and get to riding!

Old 05-06-2020, 07:42 PM   #11

I ordered my Tbr7 from Q9 on a Thursday, it was delivered the following Tuesday. Seamless transaction.

Old 05-06-2020, 08:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpman3 View Post
I ordered my Tbr7 from Q9 on a Thursday, it was delivered the following Tuesday. Seamless transaction.
The Hawk was out of stock at every dealer/reseller I checked... I think if it was in stock, I'm sure I'd be riding it by now.

Oh well..

Old 05-07-2020, 04:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard_Cain View Post
The Hawk was out of stock at every dealer/reseller I checked... I think if it was in stock, I'm sure I'd be riding it by now.

Oh well..
I am waiting for stock to come in to. waiting on an email so I am eyeballing the inbox and checking the website off and on all day, it is nerve racking. I feel like an expectant father, only this time I'm not scared.

Old 05-07-2020, 06:11 PM   #14

I ordered mine on April 30th from an Amazon distributor and have had it for a week now.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKP View Post
I ordered mine on April 30th from an Amazon distributor and have had it for a week now.
Was that from X-Pro?