Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2018, 03:14 AM   #1

Signs that your rear shock is toast?

I think that my rear shock, like many other things on my bike, is in need of replacing. Bumps are starting to feel really really harsh- there is still spring to it, but it is as if the damping just isn't there anymore.

But it could also be a number of other things: mental paranoia that something is always about to fail on my bike, my lower back which has been in pain since 10 days ago when I hit a hard bump that I didn't see, the fact that my rear tire is almost slick, or just being tired and not remembering what a smooth road feels like. But most likely its just the insanely harsh road conditions of crossing Central Asia have taken their toll on my little RX3. So many roads here are just complete crap, half-eroded tarmac that you swerve all over to miss the big holes but constantly hit the small ones and still a few big ones. It seriously makes off road riding feel comfy, and you have to do high speed because the distances are so vast. I've lost count of the number of times my rear tire has been kicked off the ground while doing 70+ km, and it surely doesn't help that the bike is loaded with all my travel gear. I'm at 40,000 kms and most of that has been fully loaded for long-term travel with a ton of off-road. So probably the shock is done?

But how can I test or know if it needs replacement? Are there any tell-tale signs? I inspected and replaced a swingarm bearings spring of last year. I will rebuilt disassemble and inspect bearings etc before next year's adventure, but I need to know if I should buy and bring a new shock before I depart and return.

pics of camel crossing and some of the harsh road conditions.

And can anyone please tell me how to resize an image?

Old 09-30-2018, 04:00 AM   #2

while riding on a smoothish road stand on the pegs and start bounceing the suspension..
when you stop bounceing the bike should aswell.... if it keeps bounceing a few times after you stop.. the damping is either shoot.... or set to low...
77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 09-30-2018, 07:37 AM   #3

Bounce is the usual sign, as Pete says.

That's a cracking photo.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:12 AM   #4

RC,
The last time I had a shock go bad I could see shock oil leaking from a blown seal. The shock was aftermarket and rebuildable so not a total loss. The shocks that come on most bikes are usually not made to be renewed.

With that said, I still have the OEM shock I took off my '16 RX3. It's like new. How can I ship to you?