Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2016, 12:28 AM   #1

Doh! Need help wiith parts for Enduro Hawk 250cc Please!

Hello everyone I'm very new to dirt bikes and the Hawk 250cc is my very first bike. I have been enjoying my bike for a few months now but sadly I went out of town for the weekend and it seems my younger brother decided to take my bike out without any knowledge of what he was doing. Needless to say he banged it up really good. I'm not sure what exactly he did but I think he ran it into a tree or something of that nature. So when I got home to my surprise I found my Hawk beat up pretty bad. The front rim is bent completely out of shape, tire is off the rim completely. Inner tube is blown out. Front forks are bent and the piece that holds handle bars, front forks and houses the ignition is completely broke. So as i stated I'm new to the dirt bike world and I'm having a lot of trouble finding replacement parts to try and fix my bike back up. The main part I'm having problems locating is the one that houses the ignition and the forks run through. I also would like to know since I'm having to change the forks anyway if someone might be able to recommend better ones than what came factory with the bike as when I was riding they would always seem to bottom out over bumps and cause the tire too rub on the wheel guard. I really don't have a lot of knowledge on working on this bike so any advice would be much appreciated. I did put the bike together on my own so I think I will be able to replace the parts myself. I just really could use some guidance on the replacement parts as I have no idea how to tell what size parts i need or how to match these things up or even replace with better parts. I am going to attach some pictures of the parts I am referring too. Thank you very much for any help you can give this beginner rider!! Also feel free so suggest any other modifications as the bike is completely factory still.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_1090.jpg (98.0 KB, 1299 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1088.jpg (96.4 KB, 1422 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1089.jpg (96.6 KB, 1310 views)

Old 02-24-2016, 12:41 AM   #2

Some of the parts I think you will have to buy direct from Ricky Power Sports site. It goes without saying your brother should have to pay for the damages, but if the parts cost too much, you might be better off parting the bike out and getting a new one possibly.

http://www.rickypowersports.com/#!up...ng-plate/rc1m8

Old 02-24-2016, 02:06 AM   #3

Yikes I hope your brother is ok. Gotta love em I guess. I was a younger brother once. LOL

/

Old 02-24-2016, 07:56 AM   #4

RPS may be able to get you the parts...or Tabao may have them as well. With the cheap price of these bikes, I would say with parts and labor that bike is totaled. Sometimes you can't get individual parts, but rather an assembly...so the price can skyrocket.

What action is your brother taking to mitigate the damage?

Old 02-24-2016, 10:15 AM   #5

What's the going rate for a healthy youth's kidney these days?

Just kidding

Old 02-24-2016, 10:23 AM   #6

My brother is much younger than me and to be honest it isn't about the money or what he is going to do to get my bike fixed. He has never done anything like this and while he was wearing all my safety gear he was banged up pretty good to. So i'm pretty sure he learned his lesson. We have lost our mother and grandfather to cancer recently and he is taking it pretty hard so I'm just going to take care of it on my own. But thank you for the concern over my brother. Just remember family members make mistakes tooo!!!

Old 02-24-2016, 10:31 AM   #7

Also couple people are saying to just parts it out but if that's the case then why can't I just find someone who is doing the same and buy the parts used? I'm going to look over the sight more to see if anyone on here is doing that, maybe I'll get lucky. Also I know people have modified this bike as it is a clone of a different bike I'm just not experience (yet) to understand the part transition. So I guess I was also looking to see if anyone had any information on this that a beginner would be able to understand. And I just want to say thank you to all that have responded so far.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:46 AM   #8

I replaced the front rim on my Hawk with a "PRO WHEEL 21 X 1.6" rim, I re-used the existing hub and spokes/nipples without much trouble. The place I got the rim from no longer carries them, but they are pretty easy to find online. I made a thread on it here http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15808

I'm not sure about the rest of the parts, RPS is probably your best bet.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:49 AM   #9

i guess no one else is going to tell you, but the broken part in the picture is called a "triple tree" ... to get an accurate replacement or upgraded set, you would need to take some measurements of the head tube (the part of the frame the broken parts bolt onto) and the bearing and if the forks are not bent (but i would guess they are) the fork o.d. ... if you will need to replace the forks you will need the length of the forks, and the size of the axle ... the with of the triple tree is less important, but it can not to narrow for the rim to fit in there with the needed spacers, but seeing as how you also need a rim, you could just get the full setup, if you know where there is a bike salvage yard you would have no trouble getting a full setup that will fit

Old 02-24-2016, 10:55 AM   #10

Wow.... I'm the youngest of three brothers and they were gone a lot (college and Viet Nam) and left their bikes at home....and I swiped them when I could...but if I ever did this...I'd STILL be walking funny!

I hope you get this resolved very soon.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-24-2016, 11:03 AM   #11

Thank you very much for this info!!!

Old 02-24-2016, 11:07 AM   #12

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Yamaha-...VWm9~9&vxp=mtr

if the bolt and bearings for the stem would fit your head tube, this would be a really nice upgrade for $100, but you need to measure first

just measure and look around, you can get something for a good price i am sure

Old 02-24-2016, 02:08 PM   #13

I'm sure Welandgrind will soon offer his expertise. Search the forums for his fork replacement thread; he used Honda forks. You might be able to get a replacement triple tree from CSC, in Azusa, California. You can certainly lace a new rim to the front hub.

If you do your own work, you will probably be better off to buy a new buy for $1,300 dollars, and keep your current bike for parts. If you need to pay someone else to do any of the work, you will most certainly be better off to buy another bike.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-24-2016, 07:05 PM   #14

I think I was able to locate a new Upper Connecting Plate (triple tree) for my Hawk at http://therps.net/ I found the part on there page and gave them a call. They told me to go to their webpage and get the Sku # and all other part information and give them an Email with all my info. As soon as I hear back from them I will update. They also had all other parts for the Hawk one would need. So hopefully this works out for me and possibly anyone else who might need parts. Thank you all for the help you have been giving me and I also welcome anymore advice anyone can offer me on this matter. China Riders is a wonderful site!! Thank you all so much you are very helpful!!

Old 02-24-2016, 07:45 PM   #15

Before you replace too much, confirm that your forks are truly bent. They're actually pretty sturdy. The triple tree itself is made from a relatively soft cast. Like the connecting plate, it's possible that it got twisted up and took most of the impact instead of the forks.

Ask me how I know - I ate it a couple of weeks ago, laid it down pretty good crossing a creek. Nice layer of algae/scum was coating the road, no grip at all, bike got sideways, then dry asphalt. Not fun. When I got the bike back up, the left side handlebars had impacted pretty good - enough so that it twisted the entire alignment of the front end. I could drive it, believe it or not, but had to hold the handle bars at about 15-30 degrees to the right to drive straight.

Thought I was looking at something similar to you, but when I got it home and diagnosed it all, it was all concentrated in the triple tree itself. I disassembled everything, and using the forks and a crowbar, gently bent the triple tree back into alignment. I removed the connecting plate to do this, so all the torque was on the base of the triple tree.

Got a chance to grease up the bearings in the steering column while I was at it, and then checked everything in the alignment to microns. Forks weren't affected at all, and the softness of the casting allowed the triple tree to bend right back. Got another several hundred miles on it and would swear that the steering is smoother now.

Obviously, my impact was much less than your brother's - my connecting plate stayed intact. Since you have the forks off the bike, you can determine how bent they are. They look OK from your picture, but that can be deceiving, of course. When you get the new connecting plate, and after you get straight forks one way or another, you may still find that bottom of the triple tree got twisted up from the impact and will need to be bent back into shape or replaced as well.

Hope your brother is doing OK.