Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2019, 10:31 AM   #1

Alrighty - Time to get me a hawk - Anything else I should look at?

OK, so after wheeling and dealing with Uncle Sam, I actually owe quite a bit less than I was expecting this year for my taxes, so that's kinda like a refund for me! Decided I want to add a Hawk to the garage. I love tinkering around, so I feel the Hawk is probably a good fit for me!

Anyway, I want to knock the main upgrades out of the way right off the bat, so this is what I've got so far just by lurking around these parts:

Anything I've missed that you would consider essential? I'm planning for mainly on road and dirt road travel. Doubt I'll see many trails.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:05 AM   #2

I live in SC, everything I've read says all good here

Old 02-08-2019, 12:36 PM   #3

I had no problems with SC. Went to a small DMV in the Upstate.

Old 02-08-2019, 03:40 PM   #4

Shameless plug:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Rack-FOR-RPS-Hawk-250-CSC-TT250-Bashan-Brozz-250-Tao-Tao-TBR7/233126490881?hash=item36476bf301:g:NygAAOSwSZBbkn4 w:rk:1f:0
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RACK.jpg (91.7 KB, 805 views)
2018 Hawk P&P Decked .040 off the head. 17/43 D.I.D. 428, NGK Iridium plug, DeCat, Wrapped pipe, Custom S.S. Muffler core, Nibbi PE30 115/35, L.E.D. Lights, Digital Cluster, USB port, Cutting Bord skid plate, Oil cooler w/ custom CRF oil filter inline, 5Wt fork oil, Rear Shock, CNC Back Rack, 30mm FAT bars, Bark Busters, ProGrips, Adjustable levers, Shinko 700’s lots of Loctite!

Old 02-08-2019, 08:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhite757 View Post
OK, so after wheeling and dealing with Uncle Sam, I actually owe quite a bit less than I was expecting this year for my taxes, so that's kinda like a refund for me! Decided I want to add a Hawk to the garage. I love tinkering around, so I feel the Hawk is probably a good fit for me!

Anyway, I want to knock the main upgrades out of the way right off the bat, so this is what I've got so far just by lurking around these parts:

Anything I've missed that you would consider essential? I'm planning for mainly on road and dirt road travel. Doubt I'll see many trails.
You might like to look at a couple things on my Ebay store, also I could easily supply some of those things you mentioned and make 1 easy package.
I am looking at seeing if people would like more at 1 place and the right parts at the right price.

Here is a link and welcome to ask etc:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303052643011

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303035219148

Old 02-08-2019, 10:35 PM   #6

Yes, you should look at a TT250. Much better quality and a bit more expensive. If I had it to do over again that's what I would have bought.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
Yes, you should look at a TT250. Much better quality and a bit more expensive. If I had it to do over again that's what I would have bought.
Budget is up to $2,000. Period. No going over. Went back and forth with that for the last few months, and to me there's just not enough difference between the Hawk and TT250 to warrant the $1,000 price difference. With every mod I can think of that I want with to do with the Hawk, it still comes in under the $2,000 budget.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:42 AM   #8

Check out the BMS CRP 250 or the Bashan DB-41h-250 as well--the BMS is actually manufactured by Bashan. The DB-41h-250 looks just like the Hawk, but has slight differences, such as gearing, carb, and is EPA/DOT certified for on-road use in 49 states. There are the Taotao TBR7, the Bashan Brozz, and the Bashan Storm 250, but those use 'oddball' wheel sizes (19/17). Personally, I don't mind the 'odd' size wheels, but for many around here, it seems to be a deal killer. The Hawk is an excellent bike from what I have seen and read here for the past few years, but it couldn't hurt to research others as you originally asked what else you should look at. RPS just got EPA/DOT (street legal in 49 states) certification for a Hawk DLX, which is a Hawk with fuel injection if you weren't in a hurry, and the thought of fuel injection grabbed you. There tends to be a gap between certification and when the boat lands, so waiting for the FI Hawk could be several months. Lifan just got certification for its 197cc fuel-injected X-Pect enduro which I am waiting for, but that one uses oddball wheel sizes, has a rear drum, and will probably take months as well, but I am throwing that one out there, too.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-09-2019, 02:40 AM   #9

Hawks best!! Especially black it’s the fastest . Can’t wait to get another one or three

Wow just saw culcune’s been member since 2006!!
#OGCHINARIDER
#OLDSCHOOL

Old 02-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lit Hawk View Post
Hawks best!! Especially black it’s the fastest . Can’t wait to get another one or three

Wow just saw culcune’s been member since 2006!!
#OGCHINARIDER
#OLDSCHOOL
I feel honored! This site was started as an off-shoot of a Yahoo! group forum--namely a GY-5 site (GY-5 was a quite popular 200cc Lifan dual sport at the time). I had started Jetmotogroup around the same time. Jetmoto was fairly popular, too, but the GY-5 was better quality, and was one of the first 49-state EPA/DOT certified street dual sports. Frostbite was a member of the GY-5 group (and I believe my group as many of us were members of both) because he had a GY-5, and wondered aloud if he should start this forum. He got a lot of input from the members. Chinese dual sports were very popular on Ebay, and the ragtag group of people who owned them were really on their (our) own. The Yahoo groups were good, but there was only one place to post, so you had to wade through all the responses and other questions to find the answers to what you were looking for. I do remember being among the first few dozen members here. The rest is history...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-17-2019, 09:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Check out the BMS CRP 250 or the Bashan DB-41h-250 as well--the BMS is actually manufactured by Bashan. The DB-41h-250 looks just like the Hawk, but has slight differences, such as gearing, carb, and is EPA/DOT certified for on-road use in 49 states. There are the Taotao TBR7, the Bashan Brozz, and the Bashan Storm 250, but those use 'oddball' wheel sizes (19/17). Personally, I don't mind the 'odd' size wheels, but for many around here, it seems to be a deal killer. The Hawk is an excellent bike from what I have seen and read here for the past few years, but it couldn't hurt to research others as you originally asked what else you should look at. RPS just got EPA/DOT (street legal in 49 states) certification for a Hawk DLX, which is a Hawk with fuel injection if you weren't in a hurry, and the thought of fuel injection grabbed you. There tends to be a gap between certification and when the boat lands, so waiting for the FI Hawk could be several months. Lifan just got certification for its 197cc fuel-injected X-Pect enduro which I am waiting for, but that one uses oddball wheel sizes, has a rear drum, and will probably take months as well, but I am throwing that one out there, too.
Do we have any other details about the Hawks DLX other than it having fuel injection? Would be nice if it was a true 250cc instead of 230cc.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDStroup View Post
Do we have any other details about the Hawks DLX other than it having fuel injection? Would be nice if it was a true 250cc instead of 230cc.
Still 229cc afaik, aka CG250 engine just like the standard Hawk. I wouldn't invest too much in that missing 21cc's of displacement. You aren't missing much in the way of power where there are plenty of other design aspects of these motors that hold them back from making the power they could/should.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 02-09-2019, 08:29 AM   #13

Add fork oil to your list.
2005 Honda trx450r full mx build
1986 Honda trx250r xc build on race gas
1998 Kawasaki kx250
1995 Polaris xplorer 400 4x4
1997 Jeep Wrangler 3.5” on 33s

Old 02-09-2019, 02:09 PM   #14

culcune, thanks for the additional bikes. I have pretty much looked at all of them. A big thing I look at is seat height due to how tall I am. I'm 6'5", and find I tend to be more comfortable on bikes with higher seat heights. The Hawk seems to have all the bikes you mentioned beat on that. Also I look for differences that would warrant the higher price, and again have a hard time justifying paying more for something that's essentially the same bike. I am pretty much sold on the Hawk, just trying to get opinions on the upgrade portion. I have lots of "toys" in the garage, so realistically the Hawk will see maybe a weekend a month as far as use goes once the newness wears off, but I do want it to run as good as it can for when I do get to use it!

Old 02-09-2019, 04:06 PM   #15

I love my Hawk, but I will happily say that the TT250 is worth the extra money.

Also, might want to toss rear wheel bearings on your list. Two Hawks now, and both had poorly installed rear bearings.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124