Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2015, 09:39 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
...took advantage of the nice cooler weather today to go for a ride instead
Excellent choice!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-17-2015, 09:41 PM   #47

Quote:
*sigh* I also now understand why people out here buy houses with lots and lots of garage space. We have a 3-bay garage, but the 3rd bay is somewhat truncated by a built in shelf and the fact that one of the walls has an angled wall - it was fine until we shoehorned in the 2nd bike :P Looking for ways to clear up space in that bay now especially since the other bike doesn't have luggage on it right now and we intend to get it a set of cases at some point! Not to mention the various other pieces of equipment I think I'm going to be acquiring to do maintenance
Sounds like it's time for a shed. In my municipality, we can build a 110 square foot shed without a permit, as long as it is a certain distance from property lines.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-18-2015, 01:43 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Having never seen an RX3 up close, I can't be sure, but I suspect that a ratchet tie-down strap that secures the frame to the jack would allow a level lift.

That presumes the jack will slide under the bike.
I really don't think so, Weld. If the RX3 frame didn't have centerstand mounts, you could undoubtedly get a level lift. However, the protruding mounts for the centerstand make this task very difficult if not impossible. If you could somehow manage to get a level lift, it would not only be tenuous, it would also undoubtedly block access to the lower shock linkage.

In any event, I don't care to work that hard, especially when my Husky jack allows me to quickly, and securely lift either wheel.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-18-2015, 01:46 AM   #49

Of course, one can also install the CSC centerstand. However, I have heard it takes a good bit of upper body strength, and a strong back, to get the RX3 up on that centerstand. Since my aging back has seen better days, I would rather let my Husky jack do all the work.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-18-2015, 12:32 PM   #50

Quote:
Sounds like it's time for a shed. In my municipality, we can build a 110 square foot shed without a permit, as long as it is a certain distance from property lines.
Or I need to go buy another house with property that would be more suitable for a shed

The current house was purchased without all these additional vehicles in mind and it occupies a goodly portion of the lot, leaving hardly any room for a shed - ah the things I will have to keep in mind when we move and "downsize"

Old 05-18-2015, 01:46 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I really don't think so, Weld. If the RX3 frame didn't have centerstand mounts, you could undoubtedly get a level lift. However, the protruding mounts for the centerstand make this task very difficult if not impossible. If you could somehow manage to get a level lift, it would not only be tenuous, it would also undoubtedly block access to the lower shock linkage.

In any event, I don't care to work that hard, especially when my Husky jack allows me to quickly, and securely lift either wheel.
Perhaps there's an RX3-specific opportunity to contribute. My 3 ton floor jack has a removable saddle, which leaves a hole in the frame. A pad could be fabricated that fits into the mounting hole, and provides clearance for the protrusions. The pad could also be covered with a rubber mudflap to protect the underside of the frame.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:49 PM   #52

Quote:
Of course, one can also install the CSC centerstand. However, I have heard it takes a good bit of upper body strength, and a strong back, to get the RX3 up on that centerstand. Since my aging back has seen better days, I would rather let my Husky jack do all the work.
My old '79 Yamaha XS650 Special was brutal to pull up on the center stand, until my buddy's Dad showed me the technique. He was a very slim man, and I couldn't believe how easy he made it look.

Not saying that you're not familiar with the technique, Spud. I'm saying that I wasn't.

I thought that I needed to pull from the bars to rock the bike onto the stand, but I actually needed to pull from the rear bar / carrying rack. It seemed so counter-intuitive to me, but it worked very well.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:50 PM   #53

Quote:
Or I need to go buy another house with property that would be more suitable for a shed

The current house was purchased without all these additional vehicles in mind and it occupies a goodly portion of the lot, leaving hardly any room for a shed - ah the things I will have to keep in mind when we move and "downsize"
Instead of 10x11, could you find space for a smaller shed, like 8x10 or even 5x10? That would at least allow you to get the mower, etc out of the garage.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:14 PM   #54

Quote:
My old '79 Yamaha XS650 Special was brutal to pull up on the center stand, until my buddy's Dad showed me the technique. He was a very slim man, and I couldn't believe how easy he made it look.

Not saying that you're not familiar with the technique, Spud. I'm saying that I wasn't.

I thought that I needed to pull from the bars to rock the bike onto the stand, but I actually needed to pull from the rear bar / carrying rack. It seemed so counter-intuitive to me, but it worked very well.
That's the method I used to pull my '79 Honda CB400T onto the center stand. I faced backward, and used my legs to lift the bike onto the center stand as I held the rear passenger grip. However, I was told matters are different for the RX3, so I declined to buy the center stand. Perhaps the person who told me of the difficulty was unaware of the proper method, but he seemed to be pretty knowledgeable. Perhaps someone else who owns the CSC center stand can either confirm, or deny the difficulty of using the stand.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-18-2015, 02:21 PM   #55

Quote:
Perhaps there's an RX3-specific opportunity to contribute. My 3 ton floor jack has a removable saddle, which leaves a hole in the frame. A pad could be fabricated that fits into the mounting hole, and provides clearance for the protrusions. The pad could also be covered with a rubber mudflap to protect the underside of the frame.
When I first bought my Husky jack, I fabricated a plate which I can substitute for the stock saddle. I tried using this plate, as well as several lifting stands, et cetera, to loft the rear wheel of my RX3. The method I used below is easily the quickest, and the most secure method I know to loft the rear wheel of the RX3.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-19-2015, 02:15 PM   #56

I have a motorcycle specific jack from Sears Craftsman that I use on all my bikes, and with the addition of a block of wood have made it functional for the RX-3. The bike is stable,but adding a couple of tie down straps ensures a higher level of safety. It also lifts both wheels off the ground easily.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lift with block.jpg (85.5 KB, 400 views)

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 05-19-2015, 02:39 PM   #57

Thanks for your input, George. That's a nice jack.

I see you have the rear support placed all the way behind the centerstand mounts.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-19-2015, 10:04 PM   #58

i have found that standing on the left side, i bend down slightly,enoughto grab the passenger footpeg mounting bracket with my right hand,,an with my lefthand on the handlebar .i can usually get it up on the stand on the second '' rock''...oh an of course my foot is on the centerstands ''tab'' to hold it on the ground. it works better for me than when i was trying to use the passenger seat grab rail,,as it was too high an i could not get any leverage.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:37 PM   #59

Quote:
Thanks for your input, George. That's a nice jack.

I see you have the rear support placed all the way behind the centerstand mounts.
I had initially omitted the wood block, but the bike rocked on the two "legs" behind the center stand mounts. The block provides a more secure base.

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 05-19-2015, 11:52 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRider View Post
I had initially omitted the wood block, but the bike rocked on the two "legs" behind the center stand mounts. The block provides a more secure base.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220