Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2006, 01:16 PM   #1

washington state is great

just wanted to say hi! i live in monitor washington ! this is a small town but a lot of great riding areas! i used to be a 2 stroke junkie but now at 51 i am riding a 4 stroke and a little one at that 2006 lifan200 gy-5 i really like the bike even though its a little under powered joined this site in hopes of finding some performance modifications? so anyone with proven mods let me know thanks joe

Old 07-22-2006, 12:46 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to eddyfx Send a message via Yahoo to eddyfx
Hi Joe, welcome aboard.
WEll one proven mod that worked for me was a simple $14 dollar sprocket change, that was the total investment and it changed the characteristics of the bike.
I have the 520 chain on my bike and it went from a 12 tooth sprocket to 13 tooth sprocket up front.

made the bike more usefull in street traffic and didn't spend too much time shifting nor winding out the motor to keep up.

Other then that a few turns of the idle mixture screw seem to benefit my bike , it came a little too lean at idle, improved diveability.

Next will be too move the carb needle down a notch ( richer) free up the exhaust and possibly a fuel jet change.

Old 07-22-2006, 10:19 PM   #3

gearing

i also have the 520 chain but my bike seems really geared hi 65mph is only 7000 rpm ! i have not looked to see how many teeth are on the sprocket but i may drop a tooth i do mostly trail riding! i haven"t checked the plug to see if its lean or not but my bike runs perfect no missing i dont want to mess something up! my only concern is above 7000 rpm it just strugles to increase in rpm it will do it but takes a long time around 7400 rpm there is a intermitent miss i think the exhaust is restrictive! the end of the muffler is welded so you cant remove it easily! i wonder if opening it up larger would help? thanks for your reply joe

Old 07-23-2006, 02:01 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to eddyfx Send a message via Yahoo to eddyfx
Re: gearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe509
my bike runs perfect no missing i dont want to mess something up! my only concern is above 7000 rpm it just strugles to increase in rpm it will do it but takes a long time around 7400 rpm there is a intermitent miss i think the exhaust is restrictive! the end of the muffler is welded so you cant remove it easily! i wonder if opening it up larger would help? thanks for your reply joe
Yeah I think the bikes are set up for whatever altitude they are assembled at then it might or might not change depending on the altitude you live at and of course air density.

One way of opening up the exhaust is to drill holes around the circumference of the smaller inner pipe at the end of the muffler.

However this usually leans out the bike and you could either move the needle lower in the carb or go up on the fuel jet size.

Sounds like your bike is almost there as is, the slight miss at top end suggests you could move up the fuel jet one or two numbers to straighten it out

Old 07-24-2006, 11:13 AM   #5

Welcome, Joe509. From what I understand, your Lifan has a 46 tooth sprocket rear (not sure about the front) which makes them the more streetable "out the box" than what most of the rest of us have. Join the LF200GY group for Lifan specific questions (see the home page link from here to the group) My Jetmoto has a stock 56 rear, but I do have a 44 rear that is just begging to be installed!!