Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2018, 03:52 AM   #1

2018 Vader motor mount problems

Hey guys I have 300 miles on my Vader 2018 and I just keep snapping motor mount bolts! I don’t know why this keeps happing and I’m buying grade 8 bolts and nuts! Should I go grade 10? Or what seems to work your you guys? O and by the way my motor only has 2 motor bolts

Old 04-03-2018, 11:02 AM   #2

You're snapping a Grade 8 bolt? Are you certain that the head doesn't say 8.8?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-03-2018, 01:12 PM   #3

Yea they have the goldish tint to them and I bought them from ace hardware, they say grade 8... maybe I’m tightening them to tight?

Old 04-03-2018, 01:34 PM   #4

First question. Are these metric bolts?

If yes, then there is no real such thing as a Grade 8 metric fastener. Metric fasteners go by a different standard than SAE fasteners. The rating of "Grade 8" is for SAE fasteners (aka, 1/4, 5/16. etc).

Metric fasteners use 8.8, 10.9, 12.9, and A-2 Stainless. Metric 8.8 is the rough equivalent of SAE Grade 5.

Can you get a good picture of the bolt head?
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-03-2018, 07:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordoomsday View Post
Hey guys I have 300 miles on my Vader 2018 and I just keep snapping motor mount bolts! I don’t know why this keeps happing and I’m buying grade 8 bolts and nuts! Should I go grade 10? Or what seems to work your you guys? O and by the way my motor only has 2 motor bolts
Are you doing stunts with your bike, wheelies, stoppies, jumping over buses, or is this just happening from normal riding. Is the lower or the upper one breaking, or both?

Old 04-03-2018, 08:46 PM   #6

Hellkitty changed some of his bolts to Grom ones. Maybe they were not actual engine bolts. Come to think of it, Hellkitty, you stated you got extra engine bolts with your Taotao Hellcat. However, these bikes are clones of the Grom, so perhaps Grom engine bolts could be purchased.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-03-2018, 08:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
First question. Are these metric bolts?

If yes, then there is no real such thing as a Grade 8 metric fastener. Metric fasteners go by a different standard than SAE fasteners. The rating of "Grade 8" is for SAE fasteners (aka, 1/4, 5/16. etc).

Metric fasteners use 8.8, 10.9, 12.9, and A-2 Stainless. Metric 8.8 is the rough equivalent of SAE Grade 5.

Can you get a good picture of the bolt head?
Never would have thought of that! Thanks for explaining...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-03-2018, 09:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Hellkitty changed some of his bolts to Grom ones. Maybe they were not actual engine bolts. Come to think of it, Hellkitty, you stated you got extra engine bolts with your Taotao Hellcat. However, these bikes are clones of the Grom, so perhaps Grom engine bolts could be purchased.
Yeah, two bolts with nuts with a nylon locking element were just taped on the crate in a pouch marked "parts". At first I had no idea what they were for, but I figured out later that they must be engine bolts, there was no where else they could go. They had 6 slash lines on the head, grade 8, and had a gold color either zinc or cadmium plated.I'm not sure if the dealer or the manufacturer put them there. The bolts that came off were marked 8.8.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I got some grom engine bolts (10x110) and (10x130) and they look bigger then the hellcats. I not sure what size the hellcats are. Here a photo of the grom bolts.
So far i only changed the front and rear axles with grom. Maybe someone could should a diagram of what bolts should be replaced on frame if any. or just Locktight.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:49 PM   #10

Ok, so I am assuming that since the bolt heads in queation do have grade 8 markings that you are using SAE fasteners. Can you confirm if the factory bolts were SAE or metric? I can only speculate that putting a standard shank in a metric hole is leaving just enough slop to cause small movements of the engine, which is putting a lateral loading on the bolt shaft. High grade fasteners are very weak to this type of strain, and it could be a contributing factor. Like I said, just speculation at this point since I am lacking some information.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-03-2018, 11:19 PM   #11

[QUOTE=Chinabike;276390]I got some grom engine bolts (10x110) and (10x130) and they look bigger then the hellcats. I not sure what size the hellcats are. Here a photo of the grom bolts.
So far i only changed the front and rear axles with grom. Maybe someone could should a diagram of what bolts should be replaced on frame if any. or just Locktight.

I'm not sure about the Vader but all the bolts on the Hellcat are crap. Just about every bolt I removed had damaged threads, they are super soft. I'm going to replace the rear shock bolts, the mounting bolts on the calipers, all the cap screws on the triple tree and the handle bar mounts, and probably the rear sprocket too. Besides the crappy bolts, the bike seems to be pretty solid, everything works, but to be perfectly honest, if I had to do it all over again, i think i would have paid another $1500 or so and bought a nice low mileage Honda Grom. I bought this thing mainly to take with me on camping trips, to explore back roads, sometimes way off the beaten path. With a Honda I would have that peace of mind that it will probably never leave me stranded, no matter what I do to the Hellcat I dont think I'll ever have that peace of mind.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:47 PM   #12

[QUOTE=Hellkitty;276397]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinabike View Post
I got some grom engine bolts (10x110) and (10x130) and they look bigger then the hellcats. I not sure what size the hellcats are. Here a photo of the grom bolts.

I'm not sure about the Vader but all the bolts on the Hellcat are crap. Just about every bolt I removed had damaged threads, they are super soft. I'm going to replace the rear shock bolts, the mounting bolts on the calipers, all the cap screws on the triple tree and the handle bar mounts, and probably the rear sprocket too. Besides the crappy bolts, the bike seems to be pretty solid, everything works, but to be perfectly honest, if I had to do it all over again, i think i would have paid another $1500 or so and bought a nice low mileage Honda Grom. I bought this thing mainly to take with me on camping trips, to explore back roads, sometimes way off the beaten path. With a Honda I would have that peace of mind that it will probably never leave me stranded, no matter what I do to the Hellcat I dont think I'll ever have that peace of mind.
If you could do a list of all the bolt you think need to be replaced in the Hellcat. Maybe in a new Hellcat post/thread?... never seen a used grom below $2500

Old 04-04-2018, 02:54 AM   #13

try a lower tensile strength bolt... high tensile bolts are not very tolant to vibration
and if over tightened ... why AN aircraft bolts are a very low tensile strength..

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 04-05-2018, 01:28 PM   #14

I bought the grom bolts also but they are two big. Megadan I will get you a picture when I get off. And hellkitty this is happing with normal riding

Old 04-05-2018, 01:45 PM   #15

One of the mistakes many people make is that they tremendously over-tighten the motor mount bolts (and most other bolts).
The secret to motor mount bolts in helping stop vibration is not their torque as much as making sure they have even torque.
Most small motor mount bolts only live around 18-22 pounds of torque depending on bolt shank thickness.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350