Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2006, 08:40 PM   #1

Hi from Alberta, Canada

Hey! I am from Edmonton, Alberta. I have a Lifan GY150 on order, hope it gets here soon! I was wondering if anybody has a Lifan in Alberta and if they have had any problems registering it for the street. I plan to use it mainly off road, but I would like to know just the same.

Old 08-11-2006, 11:58 PM   #2

Hi Kirby. Simon from Yuma, AZ. We get quite a few of your gray haired retirees in these parts starting in November, and they won't leave until April or May. This will be my first winter of riding a bike with the snowbirds in town, and if you see that my posts have abruptly ceased around late Oct./early Nov., you will know that I have been taken out by one.

Obviously, I can't help you with your registration question, but you could use one of Yuma's so-called winter-visitors to your advantage. Have soemone haul it down to Arizona, and I will get it Arizona registered for you. I don't know how your local authorities will like such an arrangement, but ain't thinking fun?

BTW, a question for all of the Candian members. Do your states/provinces differ in bike registration issues like our (sometimes wonderful POS communist entities aka) DMV's or MVD's do? I was just curious...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 08-12-2006, 08:21 AM   #3

Here in Maine they do not require titles on any bike under 300cc. All I needed to register scooter was bill of sale. They don't even ask for DOT or EPA cert. They had to manualy override the manufacturer section in the computer cause it did not recognize Primo. To bad you weren't in NB, Canada I might be able to do something to help. Hope you get it staightened out!

Aaron

2008 Fly-Scooters La Vie
www.scootdawg.proboards59.com

Old 08-12-2006, 09:49 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to RPM
Welcome to our little on-line family, Kirby!

Glad to have you onboard. I am a Lifan dealer located in Mississippi, but if there is anything you may need for your new Lifan and you can't find a solution, feel free to ask me and I will be more than glad to help if I can. Actually just joined the Lifan team about 3 months ago and I haven't seen one of the 150 bikes yet, but I was just looking at them for my next order. Let me know how you like it when you get it going.

Tom

Old 08-12-2006, 08:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune
BTW, a question for all of the Candian members. Do your states/provinces differ in bike registration issues like our (sometimes wonderful POS communist entities aka) DMV's or MVD's do? I was just curious...
Our provinces differ greatly for registration. In ON and BC vehicles have to pass emmission testing. I know someone in BC who couldn't register his car because a window crank was broken! In AB where I live you can register just about anything as long as it is safe. There's a lot of old vehicles here where you have to fill the oil and check the gas! I don't think my new Lifan will be a problem, but because they are so new here, I am a bit concerned.

Old 08-12-2006, 09:23 PM   #6

Here in Arizona, I was under the understanding that most anything with 2 or 4 wheels could get registered. When I went to the local MVD office in Yuma, I found out that my Jetmoto enduro would have me jump through some extra hoops to register it. However, using knowledge gleaned from another member here on chinariders (eddyfx) who resides in the Phoenix area, I registered it at an authorized off-site Arizona MVD officce. I likened it to the proverbial child who keeps asking both parents a question until he gets the answer he wants to hear. I finally got the "right" answer!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 08-12-2006, 09:33 PM   #7

I registered mine in New Brunswick with no problems. Provided you can get insurance registration shouldn't be a problem.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 09-03-2006, 11:00 AM   #8

I'm going to just head to our gov't insurance agency in Saskatchewan (SGI) and get a straight answer from a manager about how to plate one of these bikes...then I'm going to have them put it in a letter. I like SGI but sometimes they are inconsistent with these grey areas (one answer one day, another answer the next). I'm thinking of getting one next summer...

Cheers,
R.