Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2006, 09:07 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to eddyfx Send a message via Yahoo to eddyfx
Eddy from Arizona (formerly Chicago)

Hi , my name is Eddy and I came to Arizona from the Chicago a few years ago.
Still trying to get used to the summers here.
I am 45 years old, a mechanic by choice and driver by trade.

This my current entry into Chinese bikes ........

-Roketa RKM 200 E-

but i don't think it will be my only one........these things are addicting.
So cheap it's almost like buying a bicycle from Walmart, you can have lotsa of fun with them without hurting your pocketbook.
Should they get stolen or destroyed .....good excuse to buy another one

This is the reason I bought a Roketa in the 1st place , my 1st bike

I rescued this a few weeks before buying my Roketa, inital idea was to buy a bike exactly like the one I started out with 20 years ago, my 1981 Yamaha XT 250.

Bought for a little under $1000, mechanically sound, but not running, carb needed to be rebuilt.

Once that was taking care of, oh the fun I had...... so I decided to buy a new one, until I went to the motorcycle dealer that is...........Holy Hydraulics 8O 8O 8O talk about sticker shock !!!
A slightly smaller bike , a 230cc i think it was,...... was almost $5000 dollars

Then I saw these bikes at pep boys and I thought " if they only made street legal.....did some reasreach on the internet and voila.

Can't beat it, front and rear disc brakes, electric start, great looking frame, rugged and good looks for 1/4 price of the current japanese bikes.... gotta love it

Old 07-02-2006, 09:16 PM   #2

Arizona from Chicago?

**cough**witness protection**cough**

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 07-02-2006, 09:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite
Arizona from Chicago?

**cough**witness protection**cough**
Hmmm ............how much do you weigh? trying to calculate ballast...errr I mean motor cycle balance.....mmm yeah, that it, thats the ticket............

BTW do you know the "other" meaning of "mechanic" :wink: check out Charles Bronson movie......

Old 07-02-2006, 10:01 PM   #4

My apologies....

**kisses ring***

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 07-13-2006, 01:37 PM   #5

Eddy, I have corresponded with you before, but I would like to officially welcome you to Hell, er, Arizona. (the heat, not necessarily-the emphasis on necessarily- the state itself). I live in the backward jungle of Yuma, AZ. I had come to Arizona 4 years ago, via the Navajo Nation in northern AZ, where I lived and taught for 2 years, and the last 2 in Yuma, from the San Fernando Valley (Northridge-epicenter of big '94 quake) of the greater Los Angeles area. I am 36 years old, and had lived in LA for 20+ years after moving with my family when I was 10, from Chicago, where I was born.

On another forum, you had stated the differences in MVD offices, and the personnels interpretation of the laws. I have been getting hassled in Yuma trying to street register my Jetmoto, and will be trying your route, the off-site MVD office at Cash and More II in Phoenix. I happen to have to get there this Friday for other business, but am very pissed-off at the MVD runaround. I don't know if you have noticed, but compared to LA and I am sure Chicago, many of the people in AZ have an ignorant way about them, and this ignorance magnifies itself if an ignorant person is given an authority position, such as the supervisor in Yuma--the same lady who has overseen my NOT getting street registered, without jumpoing thru a few hoops, such as "bonding" my title for a couple hundred bucks extra.

What gets me about this is that on the forum group, www.ridingarizona.com there are several people who had little to no trouble street registering, yes, street registering, quads. Anyway, sorry to go off-topic, but if tomorrow (7/14) is successful, I will be taking a ride around the region, including from Yuma to Phoenix, up to Flagstaff, etc. If you would like to ride along. (That goes for anyone who wants to come along). Yes, it will be in the cooler months!!

Old 07-14-2006, 09:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune
What gets me about this is that on the forum group, www.ridingarizona.com there are several people who had little to no trouble street registering, yes, street registering, quads. Anyway, sorry to go off-topic, but if tomorrow (7/14) is successful, I will be taking a ride around the region, including from Yuma to Phoenix, up to Flagstaff, etc. If you would like to ride along. (That goes for anyone who wants to come along). Yes, it will be in the cooler months!!
I think it's ok to let the cat out of the bag, I would like to go riding in the region, perhaps make it a once a month meeting or more often depends........like the kids that meet at Pavilions that street race, every friday and saturday night.
My sister and brother in law own big ole street cruisers, Harley and indian and go riding about twice a month with a group of friends and have a great time.

Although not my cup of tea, I like smaller more acrobatic? bikes.

I have read a few accounts of people taking these bikes in Colorado and go exploring old trails and abandoned mines, towns etc.

It sure as heck looks like fun, plodding along some old mule and burro trails like this

No need to go fast just a sturdy bike.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:21 PM   #7

Ok, the place is called Cash and More II. It is located at 1902 Bell Rd. in the Phoenix area (not sure if it is in Phoenix or one of the several cities that comprise the greater Phoenix metropolitan area. There is Cash and More 1 as well. Both locations are check cashing, title loan, and cash advance places that also are authorized MVD off-site offices. They make their money on the fees above and beyond what the state charges for registration issues. For instance, I paid $56 for what was a $31 state fee. Trust me, as the Yuma MVD office was trying to make me bond my title for over $100, this was worth it as the registration went right thru. Now, I can renew it online, and even get a 2 year registration next year. It put my faith back into the state of Arizona.

I lived and worked on the Navajo Reservation for 2 years from '02-'04. There is an endless treasure trove of riding all thru there. It's about a 2.5 to 3 hour trip from Phoenix up there by car, so double that time for one of these bikes. If you have the common Monday holidays (one of the "perks" of working in education), it might be best to try a three day weekend.

If that doesn't sound feasible, maybe a ride this way, thru Yuma, and into Mexico, to El Golfo (this is the closest body of water to Phoenix and Yuma) which is the closest town to the US on the Sea of Cortez. I think it's only an hour or so from Yuma.

My thing is, I don't have a truck, but if someone from Phoenix has one, this trip could be very doable. Just meet at my place, unload, and ride across the border to the land of M-80's, bottled Tacate, and cute Latina hookers.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:26 PM   #8

Quote:
My thing is, I don't have a truck, but if someone from Phoenix has one, this trip could be very doable. Just meet at my place, unload, and ride across the border to the land of M-80's, bottled Tacate, and cute Latina hookers.
I'm in........ 8O

Old 07-14-2006, 11:27 PM   #9

Eddy, I forgot to ask, but did you see Alan's latest bike, the Xingfu? It looks like your '80 Yamaha. Check it out. (his is a '97, and if you access the Xingfu site, they are still making them the exact same way)

Old 07-15-2006, 02:01 AM   #10

Yep, wait till you see a close up pic of my motor on the Yamaha, you will surprised and perhaps a project further down the line.
I actually looks like SOHC version of the 163 fml lifan motor, almost identical, now here is where it gets weird........
I was browsing ebay and came across a Yamaha xt 350 motor and I thought , hmmm this would fit into my yamaha xt 250 , but what do I do with my 250 motor.............. :?: :idea: :!:

..........I wonder if it will fit in the Roketa..............hmmmm
You have to see the pictures, I will post them later this weekend.

Old 07-15-2006, 09:50 AM   #11

That would be very cool! Hope it works out with as minimal snags as possible. Keep us posted!

Old 07-27-2006, 01:51 AM   #12

Just having a little fun with the camera today

yeah that's my mug :oops: Girlfriend wanted to get in on the foto shoot

..............yes i do have a silk robe with dragons on it and a coolie hat, I used to go to Chinatown in Chicago all the time,.............that's where the street races were :wink:

But of course that was in my younger and wilder days, i would not street race now...................much more mature now, that's why i got two bikes and wear chinese apparel.........hmmmm

All kidding aside, I admire asian cultures and did Tae kwon Do for over 12 years, nothing but respect, I just happen to like Coolie hats, nothing wrong with that is there........

Old 07-27-2006, 01:54 AM   #13

Quote:
That would be very cool! Hope it works out with as minimal snags as possible. Keep us posted!
Well let's just say I have enough tools to get myself in trouble sometimes.........