Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2019, 04:52 PM   #1

Irate Pitster Pro XTR turned down for VT reg.

I sent in all the required paper work, taxes and fees for a VT registration. I got package back yesterday with my check, paperwork and a letter stating the following:
Quote:
VIN# of my Pitster XTR

"This is a pit bike. Please provide verification that your motorcycle was manufactured for, or has been modified for highway use. In order to register your motorcycle in Vermont, please provide a letter from an inspection station affirming that it meets Vermont highway vehicle standards. Thank you.

Commissioner,
VT DMV
Is this not the s**t or what? Since I'm going to have to have the bike DMV inspected I might as well just get it done in CT. Of course this is a great time to have had my horn and turn signals fail. (I'm waiting on new switch gear from Pitster under warranty but no one can seem to answer when the parts will get to me, or if the switch is even the problem)

Old 01-08-2019, 05:14 PM   #2

Well that just sucks the big one. Good luck on CT registration.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-08-2019, 06:27 PM   #3

Interesting that they classify a full size 250cc dirt bike as a little pit bike. Maybe somebody saw "Pitster Pro" and immediately just assumed it as such.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:39 PM   #4

Even they might be cracking down a bit; people do convert pit bikes to 'street' so perhaps there were issues with converted Pitster pit bikes that raised red flags at Vermont's DMV?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-08-2019, 09:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Interesting that they classify a full size 250cc dirt bike as a little pit bike. Maybe somebody saw "Pitster Pro" and immediately just assumed it as such.
Funny that you say this... When I applied for membership in a local dual-sport club, I couldn't get past Square 1. I immediately got shut down because(according to the club) a Pitster Pro is pit bike and not suitable or equipped for the road.

I'm beginning to feel like this....

After writing the OP, I got pissed and called Pitster, good thing I did because, my warranty claim almost got lost....After that all got cleared up the new switch gear is on its way and should be to me in 3 days.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaiN View Post
When I applied for membership in a local dual-sport club, I couldn't get past Square 1. I immediately got shut down because(according to the club) a Pitster Pro is pit bike and not suitable or equipped for the road.

I'm beginning to feel like this....

Wasn't it WC Fields who is credited with the (in)famous quote, "I would not want to be a member of a club that would have me as a member..." ?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 01-09-2019, 05:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Wasn't it WC Fields who is credited with the (in)famous quote, "I would not want to be a member of a club that would have me as a member..." ?
That knowledge would be a little before my time... lol

Old 01-09-2019, 12:47 PM   #8

I just thought of something in my search to see if it would be feasible to move back to Yuma (I might want a bike to commute on like I did for nearly 6 years, and your purchase reminded me that with the cost of enduros going up, it makes sense to consider a XTR). I went to Pitster's site, and the lowest cost XTR is the 19/16 version. It states something along the lines of 'Big power in a small size...' or something like that. Months ago, unrelated, I remember comments on a youtube video of the Chinese dirtbike Apollo, someone mentioned it is technically a pitbike. I might have referenced that here on CRs and seeing if anyone was familiar with what 'rules' make a full size bike like an Apollo a pit bike vs. just a plain 'ol dirtbike. No one really knew or posted anything definitive, but your experience with Vermont defining it as a pitbike combined with the club saying the same thing, and Pitster's own advertising about 'small' leads me to believe your bike might technically be a 'pitbike', whatever a 'pitbike' is. With the engine, wheels, and street equipment, it should not matter as far as road legality goes, but its designation might affect its status with off-roading club competition. I guess another call to Pitster might settle it for you.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 01-09-2019, 04:27 PM   #9

Quote:
I just thought of something in my search to see if it would be feasible to move back to Yuma (I might want a bike to commute on like I did for nearly 6 years, and your purchase reminded me that with the cost of enduros going up, it makes sense to consider a XTR). I went to Pitster's site, and the lowest cost XTR is the 19/16 version. It states something along the lines of 'Big power in a small size...' or something like that. Months ago, unrelated, I remember comments on a youtube video of the Chinese dirtbike Apollo, someone mentioned it is technically a pitbike. I might have referenced that here on CRs and seeing if anyone was familiar with what 'rules' make a full size bike like an Apollo a pit bike vs. just a plain 'ol dirtbike. No one really knew or posted anything definitive, but your experience with Vermont defining it as a pitbike combined with the club saying the same thing, and Pitster's own advertising about 'small' leads me to believe your bike might technically be a 'pitbike', whatever a 'pitbike' is. With the engine, wheels, and street equipment, it should not matter as far as road legality goes, but its designation might affect its status with off-roading club competition. I guess another call to Pitster might settle it for you.
I really can't do anything with the bike until it is registered. Obviously I can't take it on road. In CT the "legal" off road areas require bike registration. The dual-sport club will let me in if I get a CT registration and insurance. Road registration + insurance(and a motorcycle license) is also a requirement for NETRA enduro and turkey run events.
I'm sure I can get the XTR registered in CT, it meets all requirements once I get the turn signals and horn working. I'll also have to bite the bullet and get a set of DOT approved tires(this just kills me....lol) I was hoping to do some riding on it this winter, but it looks like it'll be a while more before I can.

This is the .pdf of CT motorcycle inspection requirements:
https://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/modified_checklist.pdf

Last edited by PaiN; 01-10-2019 at 05:25 AM.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:30 PM   #10

Are you sure the tires aren't DOT approved? I thought the same thing about the Hawk tires but after looking at the side walls they were DOT approved.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-10-2019, 05:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Are you sure the tires aren't DOT approved? I thought the same thing about the Hawk tires but after looking at the side walls they were DOT approved.
100% sure.... "Not for Highway Use" raised on both tire's sidewall

I believe the tire set on the bike are the Kenda Washougal, if you want to look them up.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:55 AM   #12

Quote:
There is a generic definition for what a Pit Bike is. It is specifically a type of mini bike that more or less started with the Honda Z50. They are not full framed/full sized motorcycles. The lines have started to become blurred as some pit bikes are being equipped with larger wheels and tires and longer travel suspension combined with larger engines, but at their core they are generally a small frame bike with a horizontal Honda or Honda clone engine.

The XTR 250, regardless of what size wheels and tires are on it, is a Dual-Sport/Enduro motorcycle with a full size frame. If wheel size was a determining factor, then SuperMoto's should then be considered a mini bike just like a Grom. Go tell a Sumo rider they have a mini bike, and I promise that they would laugh at you.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaiN View Post
100% sure.... "Not for Highway Use" raised on both tire's sidewall

I believe the tire set on the bike are the Kenda Washougal, if you want to look them up.
Well that sucks. I didn't know they came with some real tires. Just tell them you're not going to ride on the Highway, just streets and roads. Time to break out the Dremel and grind the "Not for Highway Use" off.
I know the rear aren't DOT approved but I think the front tire is DOT approved. You figured out what tires you are going to get? Once you have it registered and tagged you could always put them back on.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Last edited by JerryHawk250; 01-10-2019 at 08:46 AM.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:40 AM   #14

You can always purchase a DOT approved tire like the Kenda K760 Trackmaster and then sell the tires currently on the bike to recoup some of the cost. Or keep them, wear out, one set, then have the other set on hand for later. The K760 is at least an aggressive tire for off road riding and would be about $100 for the set.

It's kind of annoying having to spend an extra hundred bucks on tires just to register it, but it's about the only option for a bike that comes with competition tires.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Well that sucks. I didn't know they came with some real tires. Just tell them you're not going to ride on the Highway, just streets and roads. Time to break out the Dremel and grind the "Not for Highway Use" off.
I know the rear aren't DOT approved but I think the front tire is DOT approved. You figured out what tires you are going to get? Once you have it registered and tagged you could always put them back on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
You can always purchase a DOT approved tire like the Kenda K760 Trackmaster and then sell the tires currently on the bike to recoup some of the cost. Or keep them, wear out, one set, then have the other set on hand for later. The K760 is at least an aggressive tire for off road riding and would be about $100 for the set.

It's kind of annoying having to spend an extra hundred bucks on tires just to register it, but it's about the only option for a bike that comes with competition tires.
I have a set of the K760's in my cart on e-bay I'm not ordering until I get the horn and turn signals operational. Which, I might face the wrath of my wife and drag the bike back in the living room to work out this weekend. Its in the 20's around here...I can't concentrate or feel my fingers to work in those temps...I'd rather face "The Wrath" lol
Jerry...the CT Inspection form specifically states.,."the vehicle will be rejected if any tampering with the sidewall lettering is detected" Apparently CT is already hip to your s**t