Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #1

Perfect day for a ride at the Jersey shore

Perfect fall day here in Jersey, so i took the Lifan for a cruise along the ocean. The pic is in Spring Lake and the Lifan decided best not to make the jump over the battered boardwalk :wink: . Spring Lake lost about half of the two mile boardwalk during the high tide storm surge from hurricane Irene...but don't feel bad though, I think you guys have it covered w/ federal funds for the rebuild...not like the locals need the money, if you go to Spring Lake, bring your checkbook, some of the most pricey real estate in the country I'd imagine.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:13 AM   #2

I was in Stone Harbor this weekend! It was nice weather, but windy. My wife and I along with her brother and his fiance did a 90 minute run on the beach; the wind was brutal.

The house we stay in overlooks the beach. This is the view from the bathroom on the third floor, taken while sitting on the 'throne'. Best room in the house...

Stone Harbor and Avalon are also very pricey real estate. The houses are amazing, but the real value is in the land. Usually when a house sells they knock it down and build a new house. A small plot of land (like 100' x 100') goes for $2-3 million.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #3

The Jersey Shore was a great place to grow up. My mom took me there for a month or two every summer after my father died in 1973. We rented a room in a boarding house with a bunch of other elderly Orthodox Jews. It was in Bradley Beach.

Back in those days Yiddish and Hebrew were as common on the beach as English, and I don't think I'd head a word of Spanish back in those days on the Shore.

On Sabbath (Friday and Saturday) the beaches would be half empty because Orthodox Jews are prohibited from carrying. Beach towels and baskets and the such. We kids didn't care so we'd go swimming without the 'props'.

Spring Lake is only a few towns down the Shore from Bradley Beach.

Thanks for the memories!

Great pic, and nice bike, BTW.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #4

The Lifan's discretion is the better part of valor, WCR. Thanks for posting the nice photo from New Jersey!

Thank you for sharing the poignant story, Brother Bill.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894