Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #31

Can you see I LIKE taking things apart LOL..

Old 09-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #32

OK, I reinstalled the donor engine last night. I am having difficulty with the front engine mount b/w the engine case and the forward frame tube. I am using the donor engine mount (GY2) to mount the 169fml into a GY5. The GY2 front engine mount does not seem to align very well at all with the frame and engine, it appears to fit both seperately very well.

My question, is the front engine mount different b/w the GY2 and GY5. The GY5 frame appears longer and taller, might the frame geometry be different and hence different a different mount?? They visually appear the same, at least in photos, but when it comes to bolting up, not even a half dozen drift pins can suck it into position. I can't use the GY5 mount that I have as it was a counterbalance engine and is otally different, so I am attempting to mount the GY2 donor mount.

Any help or comments appreciated. I may need that GY-5 engine mount yet Kato....thanks!

Old 09-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #33

Pics maybe? :wink:

Is it something that enlarging the holes in the mount will fix? One of our members had to do that in the past and it worked well.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #34

I wrestled with it for more than an hour last night, I already have reamed a couple of holes, stretched, pulled twisted it more than I thought possible and have 7 of 8 holes filled and can't get the last bolt to mount up. I guess I find it hard to believe that either the line up of parts really sucks! Or there is a different mount req'd. I am combining two models and two "brands" of bikes so nothing would surprise me. The pics kato posted possibly lead me to believe the gy5 and gy2 mounts are different.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:43 PM   #35

If the sprockets are lined up and everything else (like the exhaust) lines up ok I would just redrill the hole. I guess if you posted a pic that would help.
(I have done many engine /frame swaps over the years and the big thing is the chain alignment. everything else can be fixed. )

Old 09-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloud
If the sprockets are lined up and everything else (like the exhaust) lines up ok I would just redrill the hole. I guess if you posted a pic that would help.
(I have done many engine /frame swaps over the years and the big thing is the chain alignment. everything else can be fixed. )
Agreed. Also 7 out of 8 mounting holes should be fine for a 15HP motor! :P

Old 09-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Also 7 out of 8 mounting holes should be fine for a 15HP motor! :P
7 out of 8 holes is 3 1/2 bolts....or 3 bolts fastened.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #38

Ride it. 8)

Old 09-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #39

Thanks guys for the pat on the back...w/ about ten minutes of cursing prying and more drilling I made the connection ....now I just hope i am transplanting a good organ....

Old 09-22-2011, 10:20 PM   #40

It's better than the organ you removed!

You'll be fine.

I have a drawer full of curses in my tool chest for just such situations. :wink:

Old 09-22-2011, 11:39 PM   #41

Congratulations; I'm glad you got the engine bolted in, WCR! We would still love to se photographs of your work. In case you don't already know, we love photographs!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-23-2011, 06:14 AM   #42

I should have added this sooner, When you are putting more than a bolt in, only put them in loose so you can get the rest to line up ok.
Good job and I hope it runs good.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #43

I recently transplanted a China motor into Son of Weldangrind's XR200R, and the upper rear mount hole was actually too wide (1/8" IIRC). Sometimes you need to drill or cut. Glad to hear you got it together.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #44

Come to think of it I had to wrestle quite a bit to get the last hole to line up when I mounted The Dirt Rat's engine...

Old 09-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #45

Success...the transplant is taking wonderfully! The short stroke 169fml never seems to run out of breath. Little more vibration with this motor than the 163fml-2m balance shaft motor. But runs well, shifts nice, idles smooth...I'm pleased!

From what little I can tell, looks as if the donor bike had a hard life, the oil was coal black, I ended up changing it before startup, then again hot after about a ten mile ride. Oh and an added bonus...my boys Hi-bird's battery gave up the ghost...donor bike gave willingly again and it seems to be a healthy working battery.

Here she is...back from the dead...