Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2018, 12:52 AM   #1

High elevation ride

Hi, next week I plan on riding my 125cc Hellcat over Sherman pass in Calif. It's a narrow paved road that runs from the Kern River up into the Kern Plateau. I'll be starting the trip from an elevation of about 3000ft and going over the pass that is 9200 ft. Right now I'm running a vm22 carb with a 110 main jet at sea level and it runs perfect. I'm not sure what to expect when I start climbing into higher altitudes. The air will get thinner with less oxygen so I'm guessing it will cause my bike to run richer and with some power loss. Would it be a good idea to go with a smaller jet for this trip? I have 100 and a 105 jets
Its going to be an awesome ride! It's a very remote area, I dont expect to see many people on the road on a weekday this time of year. My brother will be following behind in his truck.

Name:  sherman-pass-road.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  98.4 KB
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images.jpeg (9.4 KB, 80 views)

Old 05-26-2018, 01:21 PM   #2

I would bring a jet kit with me. At that elevation you'll need to lean it out. It doesn't take long and will help get you over that pass.

Old 05-26-2018, 02:27 PM   #3

It will feel really doggy.

Having been over quite a few 9000+ ft passes on bikes, the reality is that it just means you down-shift and go slower and wonder if something is wrong with your bike. The you realize it's the lack of oxygen and go on.

I've never found it worth re-jetting a 4-stroke if it's just for making it over the pass. They aren't too too fussy about it all.