Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2021, 09:45 PM   #1

Transmission doesn’t shift into neutral but all gears work

Just got bike together and started. Warmed up and on first ride all gears work. I come back and think it’s in neutral (neutral light even lights up), but as I release clutch it begins to surge forward.

I try to upshift and go back down and then try to go to neutral but still in gear.

After I turn off engine I can feel it shift into neutral. Bike rolls forward no resistance.

What is going on?

Old 02-01-2021, 10:56 PM   #2

You need to ride it a few hundred miles .

Old 02-02-2021, 01:58 AM   #3

It's a combination of needing to break it in, technique, and also clutch adjustment. You might need to reduce slack on your clutch cable.

Old 02-02-2021, 08:48 AM   #4

They all do this to a greater or lessor degree. Try shifting it into neutral before you come to a dead stop, say at walking pace
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 02-02-2021, 08:56 AM   #5

As far as the neutral light coming on, pfft, my digital gauge does that all the time.

These guys are probably right. Adjust your clutch cable and especially if you live where it's cold, you might consider a lighter weight oil. This can help with clutch drag too.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 02-13-2021, 04:39 PM   #6

Sweet Spot

Most "China Bikes" have very finicky neutral positions. You have to find that sweet spot between gears 1 and 2. I have a Bashan Storm 250 and it's kind of a pain to get in neutral sometimes. I just put it into 1st gear and GENTLY tap my toes up. You'll feel it when it drops into neutral, it's hard to explain. Just play with it and get to know your bike. Also, they do need to break in a bit before shifting properly!

Old 02-15-2021, 05:23 AM   #7

At a standstill or off the bike it takes a few tries to “snap” in to N. Rolling and as long as you don’t shift to far and it clicks right in.
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Old 02-15-2021, 06:21 PM   #8

Are you riding with boots or sneakers? I know with my sneakers I can feel the shifts and it’s easier to get the bike in neutral. When I’m riding with my boots as you should , it’s more difficult to feel the shift. It will get better as your bike breaks in. The clutch may need to be adjusted as others have said. Make small adjustments to the cable tension at a time. When you get it right you’ll know it.
2022 GPX FSE 450R

Old 02-23-2021, 09:57 PM   #9

old honda design - its the exact same feel on MB5. and yes there will be times the neutral is green and its in first..... crazy but true :P

Old 02-24-2021, 05:40 AM   #10

With my ZongShen Sierra and most other bikes I've ridden, it's easier to get in neutral from 2nd, e.g. when coming to a stop. A very gentle push down from 2nd will easily get it into N, esp. with a bit of residual forward motion.

Going from 1st to N however is much harder: for one the "distance" between 1st and N seems to be greater than that between N and 2nd, and the shifter is also much "stickier". What often happens is the shift lever suddenly jumping into 2nd as you struggle to push it upwards from a standstill. It's very hard to get the amount of force just right to a) "unstick" from 1st and b) Just baaarely land into N without touching 2nd.