Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2019, 06:07 PM   #136

Where did u get that triple tree stand at. I agree there isn't much of a difference between the grom forks and the clone forks, there definitely built better and they can be upgraded, I too am not a fan of the gold, I might try and wrap them in black.
Protaper se x110 bars/grips
1/4 MotionPro throttle
Kepspeed Braced swingarm
Chimera rear hub assy
Grom Intergrated tail light
Superlite Sprockets 17/32
custom made from Japan
Chimera Swing Arm Bolt
RK MXZ Chain #420
All Balls wheel bearings
Motodynamic fender eliminator
Coremoto ss brake lines
Composimo 2.5 lower link
Grom Calipers-w/ebc pads/rotors
Michelin tire 140&120
13x4/13x7 fatties
Grom forks

Old 09-27-2019, 09:56 AM   #137

Was thinking the same on back to black!

It's a Venom stand. Ebay had some decent prices at the time and it's worth getting one even if you only use it now and then.

It comes with a standard 5 pin kit and then you can buy an add on kit with bigger sizes. I couldn't get it to work on the big kawasaki voyager but everything else it's great.

What's next on yours Whisky?

Old 09-28-2019, 04:37 AM   #138

I have the front stand but it goes under the forks instead of the triple tree so will look into that. As far as next on the bike, Probably instead of grom calipers I will go with Brembo instead, better brakes is always a good thing. That will probably be it, when I get bored I will just paint it again. I did get another set of plastics, frame bars and rims for that reason. For preventive measures, I still need to do the shift star fix on the 190, might be next yr as my riding season will be ending soon probably. Would be nice to live somewhere that's warm all yr.
1/4 MotionPro throttle
Kepspeed Braced swingarm
Chimera rear hub assy
custom made from Japan
Chimera Swing Arm Bolt
RK MXZ Chain #420
All Balls wheel bearings
Coremoto ss brake lines
Composimo 2.5 lower link
Michelin tire 140&120
13x4/13x7 fatties
Grom forks

Old 09-30-2019, 10:27 AM   #139

Razz

Brembo sounds like sweet upgrade! Houston is pretty good for all year riding. Sometimes maybe it's too HOT to ride instead of too cold down here.

This weekend did somemore. Interesting journey through bullcrap,... I was thinking I'd document everything for the next guy who needed steering bearings and,...well yea

Started out good. My wife surprised me by buying me a hf tire machine. I'd complained about tires taking me so long and she actually got me the tire machine set up. Was speechless!

Let me get this out of the way now.
Warning: GROM BEARINGS DON'T FIT. Well not easily anyways.

Got bike set up and started on bearings:

easy enough spanner nut allright

here's what you end up with, nothing too complicated

bottom bearing missing a couple bbs. I'm thinking 'great there's my problem.'

pop out these races. Top one looked ok.

My walkthrough, thinking to show how to get that bottom race off. I tap a wedge in there and move it around, lever it off. Takes a bit of patience but it'll come off,....

new all balls grom bearing on. Things going ok. It's a bit taller than the crappy chinese bearing that came out but I'm thinking it'll work out.

annnd that's when things went bad. Pounded in the races and then my steering stem was too short. The spanner nut threads on to the lower threads and could no longer reach them. Called it a night and thought about how the f am I going to fix this now. Also all pictures and walkthrough down the drain at this point,..sorry

Morning and Holy Ghost whispered to me to cut it, add an extension and weld it up. I thought why not, if it doesn't work I can always go back. I love having a welder.

Cut it in the middle and fit a piece inside the stem to keep it straight. Welded it up and bravo, it actually worked. Maybe 5/16's longer. Reassembly went good. All's looking good. Changed out my tires and mounted them. Tires are Shinko Blackwall 120/70-12 & 130/70-12 SR723's,...

This morning rode in and those bearings are butter smooth. Amazing difference. Tires are ten times better than stock kendas. Grip and 'feel' made me smile.

So, yea Grom bearings no buenos. They are too tall to fit. I have the old ones to measure later and post sizes for the next guy trying to find the right ones.

Need to change front brake fluid,... Up one on rear shock for stiffer ride,.. Oh and figure out what that occasional chirpy-squeaky sound is,...making me nuts

Old 10-02-2019, 12:55 AM   #140

2 Questions. How did the hf tire changers work out. Did it make a pita job considerably easier? Secondly. Will a Grom triple tree fit on these clones or to bypass the cut and welding, I'm guessing the bearings would still be a no go unless u matched up with a Grom frame, which would be a little much just for the better bearings.
1/4 MotionPro throttle
Kepspeed Braced swingarm
Chimera rear hub assy
custom made from Japan
Chimera Swing Arm Bolt
RK MXZ Chain #420
All Balls wheel bearings
Coremoto ss brake lines
Composimo 2.5 lower link
Michelin tire 140&120
13x4/13x7 fatties
Grom forks

Old 10-02-2019, 07:51 AM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrfxr67 View Post

So, yea Grom bearings no buenos. They are too tall to fit. I have the old ones to measure later and post sizes for the next guy trying to find the right ones.
This is interesting... I think on the Icebear Fuerza they do fit. Or at least I think that's what someone said on the Facebook groups.

You consider just getting a Grom Triple Tree? That may make it easier and faster to source parts later.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:44 AM   #142

wlfpck that would have been a better idea. In fact the guy I got my forks from had it included and I told him that I didn't need it.

On another note, I've been chasing a rattle & chirp sound that is driving me nuts. I've taken all the panels off and riding it like that, checking all the bolts and used a prybar around the frame looking for crack or something.

Found the main bolt on the gas tank was loose and that helped but this annoying chirping sound just keeps coming back. Only does it on acceleration but . I'll find it sooner or later.

I need to go find a tire shop to bump the picture challenge,......

Old 10-20-2019, 09:06 PM   #143

Wow 400.00 what a deal it’s looking really good.

Old 10-21-2019, 10:06 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
2 Questions. How did the hf tire changers work out. Did it make a pita job considerably easier? Secondly. Will a Grom triple tree fit on these clones or to bypass the cut and welding, I'm guessing the bearings would still be a no go unless u matched up with a Grom frame, which would be a little much just for the better bearings.
Whisky, my bad I missed your message,...

hf tire changer,....the 'motorcycle' tire changer part didn't work at all. The rod in the middle is too big to fit through the center. I strapped it down and it was just,...dumb. Now the bead breaker on the bottom is absolutely amazing! That part made it all worth it to me. I'd fought with tires before and using the bead breaker makes everything smooth. After breaking the beads, I use some spoons on the floor and off/on pretty easy.

Not sure on the triple. If the stem is a little longer then the bearings/races will fit with some encouragement.

Thanks redvader! Where's yours? Need to see some pics!?

Old 11-25-2019, 12:26 PM   #145

Took Vader out for a 60 mile ride yesterday. Guys on Harleys and big bikes blowing by me, but was a great cruise and little bike buzzing along,....

Old 11-25-2019, 09:11 PM   #146

Send a message via Yahoo to ikeus685
Screw them!

Harley image.. That's all they want..Image.. Talk to any high mileage rider/tourer and they'll tell you that their best riding memories and enjoyment comes at speeds at and below the double nickel.
Mine came in todayHope to be riding mine soon!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191125_095200.jpg (92.4 KB, 896 views)

Old 11-26-2019, 03:27 PM   #147

Quote:
wlfpck that would have been a better idea. In fact the guy I got my forks from had it included and I told him that I didn't need it.

On another note, I've been chasing a rattle & chirp sound that is driving me nuts. I've taken all the panels off and riding it like that, checking all the bolts and used a prybar around the frame looking for crack or something.

Found the main bolt on the gas tank was loose and that helped but this annoying chirping sound just keeps coming back. Only does it on acceleration but . I'll find it sooner or later.

Where in Houston are ya? The weather's been pretty good lately. Not too hot/cold.

Old 11-26-2019, 05:01 PM   #148

Quote:

a rattle/chirp could be exhaust related... the stock exhaust on my roketa was very "chirpy" for lack of a better term...

stock:

and fixed...LOL

Old 11-27-2019, 09:47 AM   #149

wlfpck
On NW side. Weather has been great this past week! I still ride in the rain and (texas) cold (ha) but these beautiful days are a blessing! Praise Jesus! This morning leaves blowing all over the place, gorgeous sky and about 68!

bogieboy
I see what u mean. Mine turned out to be the bolt that goes all the way through from one rearset to the other, which I probably need to check it again. Thanks for posting those tips!

Changed oil and tightened up my chain (for the 18x) last night. Should go over all my bolts again. A week or so back, front fender mounting tab broke and have a replacement inbound. Tired of hearing that vibrating rattling noise

Old 12-02-2019, 08:13 AM   #150

Quote:
wlfpck
On NW side. Weather has been great this past week! I still ride in the rain and (texas) cold (ha) but these beautiful days are a blessing! Praise Jesus! This morning leaves blowing all over the place, gorgeous sky and about 68!
I was out riding a little. Breaking in the Grom before all the parts get in. Was riding around the Spring area.