Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2021, 03:49 PM   #1

Need some opions between the newest ssr250 vs hawk250 efi

I’ve been looking at getting a dual sport bike now for about a month I have the money buy one I had my heart set on getting a hawk deluxe 250 efi for 2700$ I was ready to order tonight. Then I noticed there is a store about a hour from me in Maryland that has the ssr xf250 in stock for 3399$ Could something give me some insight on which one is the better choice. I live up in the mountains in western md it’s very hilly out here lots of steep inclines. I’d use this bike to commute and trail ride I actually live in a resort that has miles and miles of trails people come from all over to ride here.

Old 03-21-2021, 07:42 PM   #2

$2700 for a Hawk DLX? What the spork? Where are you about to buy it from? They're $1650 ex shipping on Amazon right now -- probably less from the usual array of scumbag importers.

And $3399 for an SSR? I hate it when people make this argument at me but in this case it's true: $3400 is treading very close to the price you'd pay for a gently used small displacement Japanese dual sport in a lot of places. You can probably find a used KLX250 or TW200 for less than kind of money and, I realize this is probably sacrilege on a site called Chinariders, have a better bike. There are currently KLX'es all over Cycle Trader for between $2900 - $4400. I just looked. If you're willing and able to drop that kind of coin, don't get a Chinese bike. And if you, don't overpay for it!

Chinese bikes have their appeal because they are cheap. I realize the pandemic is pushing prices up, but what you're being quoted is absurd. Once you start paying not-cheap prices for these things the bloom is kind of off the rose in my opinion.

Old 03-22-2021, 04:03 AM   #3

Re the SSR: If you're looking to spend that much money, either used Japanese or GPX moto would be a better buy... Yes, GPX is more expensive, but it's a higher quality machine, with excellent customer service, better than any brand I've ever seen, and they offer financing. SSR seems to be much more typically Chinese in that you've got a "taillight" warranty, that is to say, once the taillight can't be seen, you're on your own. Unless you buy the SSR from an actual dealer, I don't think you'd get much help.

Old 03-22-2021, 07:55 AM   #4

$3400 is way too much for an SSR.

Old 03-22-2021, 10:02 AM   #5

I paid $1300 all in for my TBR7 7 months ago. That was with shipping to my driveway.

The other posts are correct. Shop around.

If you have that large of a budget, they are correct to recommend getting a better bike. A low mileage used Himalayan would be in your budget, which appear far better motorcycle than any of the enduro imports from China.

Old 03-22-2021, 01:40 PM   #6

The hawk deluxe was on txmotorsports.com It cost 2700$ because I was going to have it delivered fully assembled and some other stuff I opted for with the bike. The ssr 250 is from a store near me I was only going to buy it because it looks like it’s built a bit better and I could tag and title it easier because I’d probably get tags from the store. In Maryland.

Old 03-22-2021, 02:24 PM   #7

Don't be afraid of the assembly. It is fairly simple. It will also teach you how to work on it, which is invaluable. You won't be intimidated by it after that to do repairs.

It will likely take you a few hours to unbox it and get it together to the condition they would. Plenty of videos online will show you how.

I am partial to the TBR7 since I own one. It can easily be registered in New Jersey, which means Maryland is just fine. It has EPA and Motor Vehicle stickers on it certifying it for likely anywhere except California. Plus, it is one of the cheapest.

With any of these Chinese bikes, you will most likely want to swap out the carb, sprockets and chain to start off with. Again, fairly easy, videos online.

And if you are short, replace the rear shock to a 290mm 2000lb load type and when you install the front forks, lower the front about an inch down then tighten up when doing initial assembly.

If you plan on going on the trails, recommend putting on some quality aftermarket hand guards to avoid breaking the brake and clutch levers.

Otherwise, if you are going that high in your budget, seriously look at a used Japanese or Royal Enfield Himalayan. The build quality is a huge step up. I like the TBR7 simply because it was dirt cheap and I don't feel bad about dropping it on the trails. Plus replacement parts are also cheap on ebay and amazon.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:09 PM   #8

I don’t want to spend more than 3000 tbh that is my about all I have . A lot of sites have raised prices on these China bikes I need it to be assembled because I have no where to assemble it right now I have my mustang torn apart fixing it from a wreck and my Ford Fusion is in garage I’m about ready to pull old engine out and put new engine I’ve already bought in it. Please tell me where to buy a bike for a good price assembled.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:10 PM   #9

Can any of these bikes hold 60+ For a hour without hurting the engine?

Old 03-22-2021, 06:39 PM   #10

Need to change sprockets to 17t front and 45t rear

Old 03-22-2021, 08:21 PM   #11

You'll also need to tune the carb most likely to run that speed consistently. I would get a bike from CSC if you want reliable and well assembled. Frankly, them and GPX are the only ones whose assembly service I would trust.

Old 03-22-2021, 10:39 PM   #12

I actually would consider the SSR because its engine is an actual clone of the Suzuki TU250X engine, except the TU uses fuel-injection and the XF250 uses a carb. Not that the Suzuki DR200S is an exciting bike, but the XF250 out performs the DR200S for a grand less. Member dh is our resident expert and has extensively reported on his older-model XF250. I really feel it is worth a look. Their MSRP has been in the $3K range for years, so the $3400 is not an outrageous price for that bike. BTW, the Lifan X-Pect 200 has been getting more and more positive reviews around here. Don't be fooled by the 'mere' 200cc engine. As far as commuting, the bike is capable of maintaining around 65, and closer to 70 by changing the front sprocket from the stock 15 to a 17. It is fuel-injected like the Hawk DLX. It is not made for heavy duty offroad, but then again, what Chinese dual-sport is (except for the hardcore bikes from Pitster Pro/GPX, the Kayo T4, and the Orion RXB250)?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard