Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2020, 08:36 PM   #1

Changed to the 40r sprocket

Hello my fellow Chinariders! So I switched the rear sprocket on the Brozz to a 40 tooth. Also changed the front same 17t and new chain. I haven't been able to do the washer on the front sprocket yet waiting on supplies from the ZON. Top speed is way better without stressing the engine as much. Ever since then power up wheelies in first also clutch ups my chain seems to jump the sprocket. Giving this nasty clunking sound before the power picks up. Could this be caused by the front sprocket being off a little as Herbie explained in one of my earlier posts? I bought a new clutch assembly in case I have to dig into it. I'm hoping it's just the little space on the front sprocket causing it to jump. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 07-25-2020, 05:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebrozzanator View Post
Hello my fellow Chinariders! So I switched the rear sprocket on the Brozz to a 40 tooth. Also changed the front same 17t and new chain. I haven't been able to do the washer on the front sprocket yet waiting on supplies from the ZON. Top speed is way better without stressing the engine as much. Ever since then power up wheelies in first also clutch ups my chain seems to jump the sprocket. Giving this nasty clunking sound before the power picks up. Could this be caused by the front sprocket being off a little as Herbie explained in one of my earlier posts? I bought a new clutch assembly in case I have to dig into it. I'm hoping it's just the little space on the front sprocket causing it to jump. Any input would be appreciated.
I think the 17/40 is the perfect setup for street riding on the Brozz, and it seems to do pretty good with light trails too. As far as the clunking goes, mine did that if I dumped the clutch and revved it to wheelie the bike before I put the washer in place. If you do the same as I did and buy a 5/8 flat washer, then you need to go through the bin of washers at your hardware store and buy a few as they are all different on thickness by a little bit or buy a thick one and grind it down a little at a time. When I found the right one the lock just barely fit on and everything was good and tight and no more clunk. I really wished some sprocket manufacturer would come out with the proper offset sprocket for the bike. I called JT sprocket and he said they didn't have it and couldn't help me.
2022 Venom Ghost chopper 250
1997 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
1978 Kawasaki KL250
https://youtube.com/@herbiesgarage681

Old 07-25-2020, 05:31 PM   #3

Thanks Herbie I figured that's what it was. I put the old stock one back on and the clunking disappeared. I have the assorted washers and bolts coming for when I wanna go back to the 40r again. It definitely is the perfect combo for the streets. No more revving it out to keep out of traffics way. Thanks again for the response sometimes I feel like I can answer my own questions by now with all the knowledge learned from you guys. I just like to have that little but of reassurance from someone with experience on the matter. The Brozz is holding up strong I have to do a follow up post on that. I see you got yourself a nice bike now CONGRATS!

Last edited by Thebrozzanator; 07-25-2020 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Messed up

Old 07-25-2020, 06:31 PM   #4

I'm glad the Brozz is doing good for you, it's really a good bike. Thanks, I do like my new bike but I really miss my Brozz. I may get a china bike at some point again but next time I think it will be a dirt bike.
2022 Venom Ghost chopper 250
1997 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
1978 Kawasaki KL250
https://youtube.com/@herbiesgarage681

Old 07-26-2020, 08:20 PM   #5

Hey Brozzanator, could you help me and link to the parts you used?

Old 07-28-2020, 08:48 AM   #6

I can't tell if your being sarcastic or not Herbie lol. @gwowzer are you referring to the sprocket? It's a JT back sprocket. If you do a little digging on Herbie's page you can find links to sprockets used. Also the method with the washer to offset the front sprocket an 1/8th of an inch. You have to do this or your chain is gonna be jumping on the rear or front sprocket. I wasn't sure where it was jumping. I just know it sounded horrible.

Old 12-19-2020, 10:51 AM   #7

Brozz Sprocket change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebrozzanator View Post
I can't tell if your being sarcastic or not Herbie lol. @gwowzer are you referring to the sprocket? It's a JT back sprocket. If you do a little digging on Herbie's page you can find links to sprockets used. Also the method with the washer to offset the front sprocket an 1/8th of an inch. You have to do this or your chain is gonna be jumping on the rear or front sprocket. I wasn't sure where it was jumping. I just know it sounded horrible.

Can someone provide the link to Herbie's page. I'm looking for a smaller rear sprocket for the Brozz.

Thanks,
John

Old 03-21-2022, 08:15 PM   #8

I got REBEL GEARS tm, to make the correct offset sprocket with 42 teeth.
it cost three times the JT one but, I don't havr to shim anything. and its a perfect fit.
DAVE

Old 03-22-2022, 10:17 AM   #9

I have run a 17/40 on my Hawk now for about 4000 miles and agree, it is indeed the perfect street gearing. I can purr along on the highway now at 6500-7000 RPM without any problems.

Old 03-22-2022, 10:28 AM   #10

I'm going to suggest a cease and desist order for any power-up wheelies or clutch dump activities you may seek to engage in

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 03-22-2022, 02:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusman View Post
I have run a 17/40 on my Hawk now for about 4000 miles and agree, it is indeed the perfect street gearing. I can purr along on the highway now at 6500-7000 RPM without any problems.
Keep in mind that the Brozz uses a 17 inch wheel and tire combo out back, so with the same sprockets it is still effectively geared shorter than a Hawk by default. Any bike with that 17" rear wheel is effectively 3 teeth off of a Hawk (fewer), so a 40 rear sprocket on a Brozz is like a 43 rear sprocket on a Hawk. To match a Hawk with a 45 rear sprocket, a Brozz would need a 42. etc.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-22-2022, 10:37 PM   #12

I put an 18T front on my brozz. It just barely clears. Then you don’t have to worry about alignment

Old 03-23-2022, 08:15 AM   #13

Thanks Dan, I totally forgot about that.