Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2018, 04:10 AM   #1

RX3 Charging Issue

So, bike sat for awhile, needed the shift lever internal mechanism replaced. Finally got around to it, did the valves, oil, spark plug, fresh battery. Bike fired right up, ran great for about 10 miles and then just died. Battery was dead. OK... charged the battery for 3 days. Next ride, made it 7 miles.

Just went and bought another brand new battery. Made it 8 miles, got off to go get fuel, bike won't start again.

Question: What should I be looking for first?

I found that purple plug, it seems to be fine.

How do I check if the stator is (attempting to) charge the battery? Where do I put the multimeter, and how?

How can I tell if I need a new rectifier? Is there somewhere else I can test with the multimeter?

Old 11-06-2018, 06:03 AM   #2

First just connect a voltmeter to battery and charged is 12.7v then start bike (While starting drops to around 11v) the started n a small rev goes to 14.50 to 15 volts.

If not then no charge

Then check 1 yellow from stator to earth CHECK in AC and each yellow to earth should have 55-75 volts or show voltage.

Other test is check resistance (Ohms) from 1 yellow stator wire to other yellow and you should get a resistance value and do it from to all 3 and they should all be about the same.
if open circuit or a big difference you got a faulty stator n I can supply with DHL n cheaper then USA

You could also check resistance from each yellow wire to earth and see if there is any continuity )There shouldn't be any or very large.
Red and green wire directly out of regulator rectifier is the charge DC voltage and should be the same as if it is charging - if not faulty reg.

I had to replace my stator recently and found a burnt out windings etc (left side cover) Maybe if you are unsure what is faulty lay the bike flat on the ground n pull cover so oil doesn't need to be removed for inspection, I find this the easiest way.
DON't stand bike up with cover off or gravity will pull oil from engine lol.

I now have a stock volt meter from RX3S mounted to my dash - good easy info on the fly but I haven't yet fitted the oil pressure sensor so oil light doesn't work yet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RX3s volt meter.jpg (90.1 KB, 319 views)

Old 11-06-2018, 06:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco Mouse View Post
So, bike sat for awhile, needed the shift lever internal mechanism replaced. Finally got around to it, did the valves, oil, spark plug, fresh battery. Bike fired right up, ran great for about 10 miles and then just died. Battery was dead. OK... charged the battery for 3 days. Next ride, made it 7 miles.

Just went and bought another brand new battery. Made it 8 miles, got off to go get fuel, bike won't start again.
?
I rode over 150km without my bike charging and even with low voltage the bike worked fine, maybe you have a large voltage leak? or verywell could be stator or regulator etc

Old 11-06-2018, 10:11 AM   #4

It's quite possible for a bad regulator/rectifier to become a load. Like Tako said, most bikes will go quite a ways with a dead stator. I made it about an hour on my CBR1100 when it failed. It was still running, but wouldn't crank any more. I was still able to push-start it.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:23 AM   #5

Crank Position Sensor and Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco Mouse View Post
Question: What should I be looking for first?
Check the crank position sensor and its wiring for an intermittent connection. I believe it reads off of the stator side of the crank. From this wiring diagram:

http://www.rx3adventure.com/images/r..._schematic.jpg

It is not explicitly named on the diagram, but it is shown at the bottom, next to the magneto. You can check for continuity at the black ECU connector, on pins 4 (Blue with White tracer) & 13 (Green with White tracer). Without this signal, the ECU will think that the engine has stopped and kill the ignition. You'll need to unplug the sensor and jump the terminals together to check just the wiring. I do not know what resistance value the RX3's crank sensor has when it is functioning correctly, so I cannot tell you what value to expect when checking the sensor resistance, other than to tell you that there should be some resistance. You should not get continuity or infinite resistance when ohm testing the crank sensor.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:56 AM   #6

Won't start meaning doesn't crank over, slow or like a dead battery? Or cranks over but won't run?

As I read your question again I wonder if your foreign accent or my foreign eyes are not understanding (jokes mate)

so my suggestion relates to the battery being flat rather then an engine that won't fire.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:11 PM   #7

Name:  Eco Mouse.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  19.3 KB