Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2016, 07:13 PM   #1

Street tire life and replacement options

My mighty RX3 is almost at 6,000 sMiles. The front tire looks good and the rear is making me start to think about replacement options.

I'm thinking about the Kenda 761. I have used them on previous bikes, and thought that they had good grip and wore well. Unfortunately they are in short supply and the dealers who have them have raised prices.

Any other primarily street riders who have any suggestions, experience on how long the original equipment tires last?

Old 05-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave92029 View Post
My mighty RX3 is almost at 6,000 sMiles. The front tire looks good and the rear is making me start to think about replacement options.

I'm thinking about the Kenda 761. I have used them on previous bikes, and thought that they had good grip and wore well. Unfortunately they are in short supply and the dealers who have them have raised prices.

Any other primarily street riders who have any suggestions, experience on how long the original equipment tires last?
My choice for a street tire, also good for dirt, is Shinko 705. It's an 80/20 tire with good traction, good life, and reasonable price.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:56 PM   #3

The Shinko 705 is a nice tire. I would recommend size 130/80-17.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...otorcycle-Tire

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-03-2016, 01:08 AM   #4

i use the 705 as a more road tyre on the XT660...
If you are going to still ride on gravel roads
Use the 120 .. A narrower tyre cuts though the lose surface
easyer in to the hard base where the grip is.. wider tyre roll around on the top
NO tyre can grip on top of the "marbles" lose gravel...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 05-03-2016, 10:03 AM   #5

TT vs TL

Some tires are TT (tube type) and others are TL (tubeless). The Mighty RX3 is a TT, but can we use a TL tire with a tube with these tires?

If we can use a TL tire why don't the tire mfg. just make TL tires and drop the TT designation?

Thanks

Old 05-03-2016, 10:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Some tires are TT (tube type) and others are TL (tubeless). The Mighty RX3 is a TT, but can we use a TL tire with a tube with these tires?

If we can use a TL tire why don't the tire mfg. just make TL tires and drop the TT designation?

Thanks
It's still useful to have the TL designation. Tube tires have thinner sidewalls, which makes them lighter, more flexible and easier to change. Tubeless tires are designed to seal tightly on the wheel and are more difficult to seat and remove from the rim.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 05-03-2016, 05:45 PM   #7

Another vote for the 705. I replaced my stock rear at about 7500 only because it had a huge hole and didn't feel like patching it. The front looks like it'll last to 12,500 or more.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:01 PM   #8

Shank 705

I ordered a rear Shinko 705 - $62.46 delivered.

Thanks for all the good suggestions.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:12 PM   #9

Quote:

Thanks
Running an inner tube in a tubeless tire creates heat that the tire is not designed to deal with. If you're riding under 45 mph or so, it may not become a problem.

I'm sure if you search you will learn more about it.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
Running an inner tube in a tubeless tire creates heat that the tire is not designed to deal with
Actually, that's not a real world riding problem. Ask anyone who's ridden around the world, they will tell you that having the ability to just swap out a tube is cheaper, easier and more readily available in 3rd world countries.

I've ridden at least 300,000 miles, all on tube type tires. Never once had a heat/friction related blow out. Punctures, yes.

Dealing with plugs, gas cartridges gets old. And never quite feels safe.

Now, if you think you are going to ride a sportbike or sport touring bike at speeds in excess of 80mph daily, then yeah... you don't ride tube type tires on those kind of bikes. That's where the misinformation comes from. But adventure riding, and dual sport riding, tubes will always remain the better option. Also, of note... there aren't too many places outside of the US where you can ride so fast that you will end up seeing speeds that push the limits of your tire rating. Especially off pavement.

Rims that hold a bead for tubeless tires are damn near impossible to change trail side. Plus, the compressor you might be carrying might not be able to re-seat the bead should you get it plugged/repaired.

A tube can be slimed, patched multiple times, (unless you shred it) to get you back to civilization. The rims are easier to deal with, the tire walls are softer, making it easier to change etc...

Rarely are you going to carry an extra set of tires. On super long trips, where I know the tires I'm using are going to need to be changed at some point, I've shipped them ahead at certain rendezvous points. But, carried a couple of tubes since they didn't take up much space. I've since started only carrying one tube, as I now prefer my dual sports with smaller, fat front tires. Essentially, I only have to worry about finding rear tires when I travel, and one tube will fit both front and rear wheels.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:48 PM   #11

I should also mention that I now carry a tube of Fresh Balls in my kit. It's obvious usage, as well as an anti-monkey butt lotion makes is so versatile... but squeezing a bit on the tube makes install go so much easier. It dries like a powder inside the tire anyway, so I don't need to carry around cancer causing talc powder.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:11 PM   #12

Well dave92029, I suppose you should listen to Eco Mouse.

Just ignore my response to your question.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
I suppose you should listen to Eco Mouse
Don't bother... it's easier to silence me