Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2007, 03:55 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to dlunt
Anybody tried Alaska on a Chinabike?

Just curious if anybody out there has tried the Alaskan Highway trip that a lot of adventure riders like?

This isn't a china bike experience but it is kind of an interesting thread over on advrider.com about a guy's trip to Alaska.
It is a long thread but there are some good stories and pictures.
I would like to hear somebody doing it on a Chinabike. Kind of a small bike to be doing it on but I bet they are durable enough to handle it.
That would be unique!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83480

Old 01-23-2007, 07:49 PM   #2

Congradulations SUMC! I've been in B.C. and think you could not carry"on a 200"the required amount of fuel with the other supplies mandatory for such a trek. But I know what you mean. That ride would be the best.

Old 01-24-2007, 04:48 PM   #3

I think the trip is do-able and come this summer I may just find out. Alchemy is doing a bit of research on aux fuel and I think some other upgrades would be nice for piece of mind whether they were mandatory or not. One of the threads talked about an Aussie that was riding around AK on a 200cc Yamaha.

Thanks for the link Dennis. I thought I had read all of the Alaska threads on Adv but I had somehow missed that one.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:59 PM   #4

I think the subject of auxillary fuel tanks was brought up by the die-hards thinking/planning on doing a portion of the TAT, or Trans-America Trail. Someone, I think it was Deputygene, found a site that had auxillary tanks that would strap on the (very convenient) luggage racks that most of us have (I think a couple of the Roketa models did not have them as factory parts).

Alchemy was going to personally visit an aftermarket tank company in Oregon, who, if I am not mistaken, did not have a tank for "us" chinabike owners :(

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-12-2007, 01:54 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to msRandi
Hay I want to come too! allways wanted to make that ride.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:14 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to mdsuave13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdsuave13
knowing the distances between gas stations in Alaska, you would need at least 300-400 miles of range between fill ups assuming that you were light on the throttle. my coworker did the trip in a dually pickup, but he had dual 30 gallon tanks i believe.

I would be a great trip to make tho. If anyone can figure out a way to get a 5-6 gallon tank on these chinabikes, we might be in business...

2008 Kawasaki KLR650 Candy Lime Green

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:19 PM   #7

mdsuave, I think that with the luggage rack, we figured that there are auxillary tanks that can be strapped down and extend the range. I think the thread that was discussed was the one about riding the trans-am trail; I think it was started by member 'deputygene' who was planning to ride a portion of that trail, but needed a bigger tank.

Anyone have the direct thread link/or the link to the company that makes the auxillary tanks?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard