Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #16

As far as the batteries go...I think there's a trade-off that must be made.

I'm sure vehicles can be built with current batteries, and cheaper, perhaps. But we know their life expectancy and performance is limited.

I think the only way to get the funds into the hands of the people who can extend that life expectancy and performance is to spend the money on the transitional technology.

In short, it has to start somewhere. Internal combustion engines have been refined over the years because they have been sold over the years. The newer batteries can and will improve as the money from their sales is reinvested into more R&D.

That's my opinion, anyways. Not that I'm willing (or able) to plop down a chunk of money for a new electric vehicle myself, but I do understand that it will cost a lot (from a major manufacturer) until it becomes more mainstream. I do think it will become more mainstream at some point, though.
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project

Old 01-20-2009, 04:56 PM   #17

I see the VOLT as a step in the right direction and I'd guess the 1.6l engine is there really to compensate for the lack of a good, lightweight, fast recharging battery.Atleast with the gas engine if you forget to charge it you can still just hop in it and go.

Its a start, perfect no, cheap no but a start.
I see it flopping terribly at a price $40K's though and I know there is no way I could afford that.

I guess after 10-15 years when all the well off people have bought one and the thrill of being seen in one is gone and the prices finally come down I'll be able to get one.

Its amazing to think that people will buy a hybrid or electric car with the thought of saving on gas costs but only to pay for the energy so to speak upfront but then realize that they still have to charge/replace those batteries.

I still think if the government wants people to really start buying these they should allow people to install a 240 amp service on its own meter and help with the cost of charging these vehicles.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:46 PM   #18

Hmmm looks like another ultra spendy EV!

Quote:
Shelby SuperCars already has the world's fastest production car title belt, now they're planning to up the ante, introducing the Ultimate Aero EV: The world's fastest electric production car, with a ten minute charge time.

Not only is SSC claiming that they're creating the world's fastest electric production car, but they're also claiming that it'll be one of the fastest charging electric cars in the world. Their Nanotechnology Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery pack is said to take only 10 minutes for a full recharge on a standard 110 volt outlet and will grant the driver a total of 200 miles on a single quick charge. Watch out Volt, Tesla and Fisker.
Link

Old 01-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #19

I want an electric motorcycle!

***picks up soldering iron and and peers mischievously at Lifan.****

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 01-23-2009, 08:58 AM   #20

The best electric vehicles I've seen were home built. Lead acid car batteries. The ele motor was the expensive item, $250. They were certain that for the price that the motor was the best, but I can't recall the motor name. I will try to find it.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:13 AM   #21

It's an etek motor. The bike is El chopper. Lots of info on it. It's what I was looking at before the chinabike. My problem would be getting it on the road legally. Not very likely in Ontario. :wink:

Old 01-23-2009, 09:42 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite

I am hoping to pick up a Ninja 250 with clear title soon. Made an offer on it. Blown Headgasket will make a good EV candidate. I just need a 60 mile range.

Allen

Old 01-23-2009, 11:40 AM   #23

Look up el chopper Kato. They have made lots of mods to test things out so you won't have to. Free 60Mile trips sounds pretty good to me. It costs me about 7$. :?

Old 01-23-2009, 11:50 AM   #24

Like this. http://www.21wheels.com/elninja.html

The ninja has a blown headgasket so it would be a good candidate. I just need to do it on the cheap though.

Allen

Old 01-23-2009, 05:40 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite

I am hoping to pick up a Ninja 250 with clear title soon. Made an offer on it. Blown Headgasket will make a good EV candidate. I just need a 60 mile range.

Allen
Check this out - http://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopic...405&highlight=

The thread hasn't been updated in a few weeks, but it should be worth keeping an eye on, or maybe contacting the OP if you have specific questions.

Good luck with it. Sounds like a wonderful project!
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project

Old 01-23-2009, 05:53 PM   #26

Oooohhhh :!: My fingers are twitching and my wallet's starting to burn.
26 miles round trip to work.......
I was thinking of doing an electric bicycle, this would be more fun

Now I've gotta figure out a way to do both that SWMBO will agree with :!: :twisted:

I went electric on all my RC planes. The nitro guys said it would be too expensive. After 2 seasons of not buying fuel, not fiddling with a carb to get it to run and not having to clean oily goo off your plane, they got the hint.
Plus, not buying the fuel covered the cost of the batteries and some change.

Bill

Old 01-26-2009, 08:16 AM   #27

Missed out on the Ninja. Didn't get my cash there fast enough. That's okay though. There will be more.

It may be possible for me to recharge at work during the day. The would mean I only need a 30 mile range. (22 miles to work)

Allen

Old 01-26-2009, 11:18 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR
Oooohhhh :!: My fingers are twitching and my wallet's starting to burn.
26 miles round trip to work.......
I was thinking of doing an electric bicycle, this would be more fun

Now I've gotta figure out a way to do both that SWMBO will agree with :!: :twisted:

I went electric on all my RC planes. The nitro guys said it would be too expensive. After 2 seasons of not buying fuel, not fiddling with a carb to get it to run and not having to clean oily goo off your plane, they got the hint.
Plus, not buying the fuel covered the cost of the batteries and some change. Bill
I did a lot of electrical R/C too Bill. Small, ultra small, very light electrics. Now all my R/c stuff sits since I now have a bike project. My last R/c build was a hover craft that worked great! I would trade all my R/c stuff for a NOS 1972 cb350 headlight rim.

An electric motorcycle is hugely different from a electric bicycle. I would much rather put a whizzer motor on a bicycle than try another electric bike. I could pedal at twice the speed of the electric bike I tried.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFist
I did a lot of electrical R/C too Bill. Small, ultra small, very light electrics. Now all my R/c stuff sits since I now have a bike project. My last R/c build was a hover craft that worked great! I would trade all my R/c stuff for a NOS 1972 cb350 headlight rim.
An electric motorcycle is hugely different from a electric bicycle. I would much rather put a whizzer motor on a bicycle than try another electric bike. I could pedal at twice the speed of the electric bike I tried.
Hey, I can check a couple of the dealers here in Nashville, never know what is laying around on a shelf :wink:
I'll make a couple of calls later this week.

I'm leaning more toward a tadpole trike. 3 wheels on the ground, laid back on a lawn chair, never unclip, weird looking :twisted:
Put a Bionx motor on with the sensor that kicks in power as you need it.................You still pedal, but the hills go by easier.
At least from the guys who use them on the recumbent forums.
Bill

Old 01-27-2009, 09:09 PM   #30

Hold on Bill!

If you are talking pedal assist with an electric hub wheel then yes you can do that easy. Yes hills are WAY easier to pedal. Your charge will last much longer. Here all electric bikes are governed to be slow, but a place in quebec Canada has Very strong hub motors, 24/48 V instead of 12V systems, and high amp voltage controlers. Pedal assist, and throttle twist systems. A trike incline bike is perfect to distribute the extra weight of even more batteries. Man I think it is Bionx. Best systems, MHO.

I don't like to pedal at all, but I could still pedal with the twist throttle too. Mine was NOT Bionics, not at all, it was far inferior.

As for my RC stuff its a 2 pico size servo kit, nothing flash, just small and light. Jr Quatro transmitter with trainer imput. Voltage controller, and 3 different batteries up to 9v. Some props and stuff. I made a few things that flew All home built. I highly doubt the stuff is worth a part for my bike.
The bike is starting to look nice.
http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/...g2_itemId=9445
The picture is from last summer. It's gonna look better than that by spring, and hopefully run WAY better.