Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2009, 10:50 PM   #1

Picking up a Zongshen Sierra this week... what to look for?

Hi,

I am a new poster, just wanted to check in and ask a few questions about the Zongshen Sierra bike, and if anyone has any experience with the dealer I am going through here in NJ.

I am buying the Zong for my 19 yr old son as a first bike so he can use it to commute, and also so we can go on excursions together. (i have a Honda XR650L)

I put the deposit down here at this dealer, which is in central NJ.
http://www.menintools.com

I also noticed he has ads on craigslist as well.
http://southjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/1262718071.html

I pick the bike up later this week, after they put it together and check it out. The guy also titles the vehicle and then I do a title transfer. I thought this was a nice touch from the dealer, as probably will avoid title hassles.

Is there anything additional that I should get to have on hand for spare parts? The dealer is pretty far from me, so it would be hard to get parts on short notice. I hear parts can be had through zongshen america. But their site does not list any parts online? Is it strictly a call in procedure to order parts?

Has anyone used this dealer for their purchase? How are they for repair services, I assume they do since i saw their warehouse and build area. However, I am not sure if they do any warranty work as the bike is 2006 model, but i am going to ask about parts and repairs.

Any real common issues to look for on the Zongshen Sierra bike? I read about some cdi issues. Also read that some people have had issues with some bikes with loose screws. Any other common issues to look for?

thanks,
Dave

Old 07-13-2009, 02:29 AM   #2

Re: Picking up a Zongshen Sierra this week... what to look f

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwholler
Hi,

I am a new poster, just wanted to check in and ask a few questions about the Zongshen Sierra bike, and if anyone has any experience with the dealer I am going through here in NJ…
Welcome to these forums, Dave! I own a Zong, but I don’t have any personal experience with this dealer. Please let us know your level of satisfaction with his customer service.
Quote:
…I am buying the Zong for my 19 yr old son as a first bike so he can use it to commute, and also so we can go on excursions together. (i have a Honda XR650L)…
In stock form, the Zong should be a very good commuter motorcycle for your son. However, the Zong will need a few modifications before it can serve for more than light trail duty.
Quote:
…Is there anything additional that I should get to have on hand for spare parts? The dealer is pretty far from me, so it would be hard to get parts on short notice…
Yes, if the price is reasonable, get a pair of front brake pads. You might also want to get a spare CDI unit.
Quote:
…I hear parts can be had through zongshen america. But their site does not list any parts online? Is it strictly a call in procedure to order parts?…
Yes, you can order parts from Zongshen America, or Phil, a China Riders Forum member, who is also a Zongshen dealer. I always telephone and email to order parts for my Zong.
Quote:
…However, I am not sure if they do any warranty work as the bike is 2006 model, but i am going to ask about parts and repairs…
Do make sure they will honor the warranty. However, once the warranty expires, you will want to do your own repairs, since you live a good distance away from this dealer.
Quote:
…Any real common issues to look for on the Zongshen Sierra bike? I read about some cdi issues. Also read that some people have had issues with some bikes with loose screws. Any other common issues to look for?

thanks,
Dave
The Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 motorcycle is very well built for its price range. I started riding my Zong immediately after it was assembled out of the shipping crate. I have now traveled over 13,000 miles on my Zong, and I am very pleased with the overall quality and reliability of my motorcycle.

I had my first mechanical failure at 10,800 miles, when my CDI unit failed. I believe it is good practice to have a spare CDI unit on hand for your Zong, since this part is not compatible with the CDI units used on other Chinabikes.

Of course, you should be aware that the stock Sierra 200GY-2 is limited in its choices for dual sport tires. However, in general, loose screws do not plague the Zong; after riding over 13,000 miles, I have only needed to replace the bolts holding the luggage rack to the rear frame.

Use the search function, and you will find a lot of information about the Zong posted on this forum. In particular, you might find the following thread interesting.

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...+zongshen+prep

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-13-2009, 09:43 AM   #3

hows it going? i own the 2006 zong sierra and it has been a pretty good bike all of my problems have been electrical. probable from the bike setting so long at the dealer before i purchased it.

that being said i hope you will be happy with it. from my experience i would say dont over tighten seat bolts the plastic that they are mounted in is very soft and will work loose if to tight. my headlight was aimed to low so i hd to shim the bracket to get it where i wanted it. mine also came with a 25w headlight bulb but you can get a 35w that works better. the chains stretch pretty quick so you will have to stay on top of thatalso.
anyways enjoy it shawn

Old 07-13-2009, 11:26 AM   #4

Good choice on the bike, and boy did you come to the right place for informatiopn. Good for you and your son. Enjoy!

Old 07-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #5

Many of us are hoping you keep us well posted on your new bike. Can I ask what you are paying for it?

Old 07-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #6

Spud: Thanks for the concise reply, regarding the battery location/issue, does the bike come from the factory with the battery disconnected? I would assume that it does. So if the dealer is prepping it, testing it out, as he says he is doing, most likely he would have to fix that battery cable/ seat issue. Is it easy to get the seat off, to inspect, prior to taking delivery?

davidsonsgccc: Thanks for the advice on the headlight. I will look at that, I will upgrade the light most likely, he will be riding home at night on occasion.

TheRealWorld: The web site lists it as $1395 (delivered) however his craigslist ad has it at $1495. I have a feeling since he is doing the titling legwork that is why there is a difference. We are going to have a discussion about that when I see him later this week.

Dave

Old 07-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #7

Also the dealer also mentioned that he just got the last shipment (4 of them) of the 2006 Zongshen Sierra's country wide and there will be no more. I wonder if this is really true.

I noticed that some dealers are now carrying the QLINK XP200/XF200 which is a 2009 model, seems very similar, but at a higher price!

2009 QLINK XF 200
http://www.montgomeryvillecc.com/new...ModelYear=2009

2009 QLINK XP 200
http://www.montgomeryvillecc.com/new...ModelYear=2009

Old 07-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonsgccc
...from my experience i would say dont over tighten seat bolts the plastic that they are mounted in is very soft and will work loose if to tight...
The Zong seat has four bolts, and it attaches very securely to the frame. It is unnecessary to overtighten these bolts. When tightening my seat I use a screwdriver with a 10mm socket attached to the end. I tighten only two of the four bolts, and I tighten them just snug enough so they will not shake loose while riding the trails.
Quote:
...my headlight was aimed to low so i hd to shim the bracket to get it where i wanted it. mine also came with a 25w headlight bulb but you can get a 35w that works better...
I must weigh more than you, Shawn. I need to crank my headlight adjusting screw all the way down to sufficiently lower my headlight beam. Also, my Zong came equipped with a 35W headlamp bulb; however, I replaced it with a 45W/45W bulb.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ba20d+zongshen
Quote:
...the chains stretch pretty quick so you will have to stay on top of thatalso.
anyways enjoy it shawn
The OEM drive chains are frequently pretty poor on many motorcycles, including the Japanese bikes. The members on the Yamaha TW200 forum are always complaining about the cheap, OEM chains they get with their bikes. The Zong OEM drive chain will need frequent adjustment. However, if it is properly cared for, it should last about 4,000 miles. I highly recommend the Tsubaki 428HQR drive chain as a replacement for the original chain. The Tsubaki 428HQR is available at a very good price from the vendor listed in the following thread.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...tsubaki+428hqr

Quote:
Spud: Thanks for the concise reply, regarding the battery location/issue, does the bike come from the factory with the battery disconnected? I would assume that it does. So if the dealer is prepping it, testing it out, as he says he is doing, most likely he would have to fix that battery cable/ seat issue. Is it easy to get the seat off, to inspect, prior to taking delivery?…
You’re welcome, Dave. You are exactly correct! The dealer should install a longer positive battery cable, or he should provide the Yuasa YB7C-A battery that does not require the longer cable. Have the dealer remove the seat, and inspect the battery cables before you accept delivery of your motorcycle.
Quote:
Also the dealer also mentioned that he just got the last shipment (4 of them) of the 2006 Zongshen Sierra's country wide and there will be no more. I wonder if this is really true.

I noticed that some dealers are now carrying the QLINK XP200/XF200 which is a 2009 model, seems very similar, but at a higher price!...
I hope China Riders member, and Zongshen dealer, Phil, will chime in on this issue. I own a 2006 Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2, and it is a great little motorcycle. For some reason, the Chinese have had a surplus of these 2006 models, and they have been selling them in the United States. Some people have stated that the ZS 200GY-2 is being discontinued, but a forum member from another country just purchased a 2009 Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ght=2009+zs200

The Qlink XP200/XF200 is a very nice motorcycle; it is patterned after the Suzuki DR200SE motorcycle. The Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 is patterned after the Yamaha TW200 motorcycle. You can also learn a lot about the Qlink bikes by searching this forum.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #9

As an owner of a Q (My GF's bike now) they are worth the money, and are still cheaper than the Suzuki and 100% equal in quality. 4,500 trouble free miles in 5 months so far on The Q.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #10

the gy 200 may or may not be carried on the replacement model is already out and its watercooled,much lighter, faster, and not available yet in the us untill the stock of leftover 06 is out, i wish there was only 4 left but thats not the case so the 200 will most likely be all we see for the rest of the year and very very soon you will be able to buy parts for the zong all by clicking on the internet through hopefully me all im waiting for now is the website people to finish :?
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 07-13-2009, 08:35 PM   #11

hey spud

Hey spud you maybe right about over tightening the seat bolts. They seemed to stay loose so i would tighten them one even fell off. apparently i got them to tight because 3 eventually pulled through.

i am in the process of making my mind up about which chain to get. the dealer has an off brand they sell for 19.95 probably not as good as the tsubiaki but they have them there. im hoping i will get my bike back tomorrow from my latested problem the coil went bad and burnt the CDI. that is what the mechanic said anyways. my forks seem to stick maybe the ride height is lower in front causing my lowheadlight. im curious about that one myself.
anyways see yall later

SORRY ABOUT HIJACKING THIS THREAD 8O

Old 07-14-2009, 11:30 PM   #12

Just curious did anyone else have issues with the Zong Sierra and the battery size/positioning upon delivery?

I wrote the dealer and he said dont worry, the correct battery is in. Just wondering if Spud's experience was an anomoly, concerning the battery not fitting correctly.

I think if after a month or so, if my son has no major issues, I may get another, for me!

Sometimes doing trails on my pig Honda XR650L is just that, a huge, heavy pig! I would like to have something smaller just to be able to manhandle around sometimes! :P

Old 07-15-2009, 12:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Just curious did anyone else have issues with the Zong Sierra and the battery size/positioning upon delivery?...
Yes, China Riders member Madbare (Steve) had the same issue.
Quote:
...I wrote the dealer and he said dont worry, the correct battery is in. Just wondering if Spud's experience was an anomoly, concerning the battery not fitting correctly....
Perhaps they are now shipping the correct battery. However, I would still have the dealer remove the seat and show me the battery cables and the routing of the battery overflow tube. If you like, you can blame me; tell him that SpudRider told you to do it!
Quote:
...I think if after a month or so, if my son has no major issues, I may get another, for me!

Sometimes doing trails on my pig Honda XR650L is just that, a huge, heavy pig! I would like to have something smaller just to be able to manhandle around sometimes! :P
In stock form, the Zong is a heavy bike. However, it is a very good street bike, right out of the crate. Also, with a few modifications, it can become a pretty good trail bike, as well.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Just curious did anyone else have issues with the Zong Sierra and the battery size/positioning upon delivery?

mine fit right in no problem.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRider
Quote:
mine fit right in no problem.
It looks as if they are now shipping the Zong with the correct battery; that is a good thing.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220