Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2018, 11:05 PM   #1

2018 Tao Tao 150G Quad Questions

New to the Chinese ATV's and have a few questions on my 2018 Tao Tao 150G:

1. I see it uses 15W40 oil but cant find the oil capacity. This can be just automotive oil since it does not have wet clutches?
2. Does this model have the GY6 motor?
3. What upgrades can I do for a little more power?
4. What sprocket changes should I do for more torque for hills?
5. What spacers can I do for the rear?
6. What shocks can I replace the stock with?

Old 02-17-2018, 05:59 PM   #2

750 ml for an oil change. it holds 900 ml. so 3/4 of a quart. yes its a gy6. same engine on scooters. i personally used 10w40 in the winter and 15w40 in the summer. there are tons of stuff you could do with the 150cc gy6. dont worry about the sprockets. the main mods for more power come from the transmission. which is a cvt belt driven style. and replacing the carburetor with one you can get access to clean and change the jets is recommended. for more torque and power off the line i recommend changing the variator , clutch, and belt. go on ebay or any scooter websites and look for a name brand performance variator. the stock variator comes with 14g weights. i suggest going down to 11 or 12 gram. the rear pulley has 3 main parts, the pulley itself, the spring, and the actual clutch disc. i replaced all of them, you dont have to replace the pulley if you dont want to, but i would recommend going to a 1500rpm spring, and getting a performance clutch. you can also replace the bell that goes around the clutch that the clutch pads grab on to, but you dont have to. look for a Bando brand kevlar belt or Gates brand premium belt. there are 2 types of gy6 engine. long case and short case. long case has 10 bolts that holds the cvt cover on, and the short case has 8 bolts. one uses a different size belt then the other. when you take the cover off, look at the belt, it should have the size on it. do these things and youll be amazed at how much dirt youll kick up. search videos on youtube if you dont know what you are doing or arent familiar with things. i actually have a link i found that helped me when i was modding my 150 gy6 thats on my coolster 3150-dx2. like i said there are tons of websites and brands, try to stay away from ebay if you can because you can get cheap knock off parts. where real scooter websites selling gy6 parts have the real stuff. hope this helps.

http://chineseatvperformance.blogspo...asian.html?m=1

http://www.scooterdynasty.com/150ccg...radestips.aspx

Last edited by zackattack91; 02-17-2018 at 06:03 PM. Reason: belt info

Old 02-18-2018, 11:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackattack91 View Post
750 ml for an oil change. it holds 900 ml. so 3/4 of a quart. yes its a gy6. same engine on scooters. i personally used 10w40 in the winter and 15w40 in the summer. there are tons of stuff you could do with the 150cc gy6. dont worry about the sprockets. the main mods for more power come from the transmission. which is a cvt belt driven style. and replacing the carburetor with one you can get access to clean and change the jets is recommended. for more torque and power off the line i recommend changing the variator , clutch, and belt. go on ebay or any scooter websites and look for a name brand performance variator. the stock variator comes with 14g weights. i suggest going down to 11 or 12 gram. the rear pulley has 3 main parts, the pulley itself, the spring, and the actual clutch disc. i replaced all of them, you dont have to replace the pulley if you dont want to, but i would recommend going to a 1500rpm spring, and getting a performance clutch. you can also replace the bell that goes around the clutch that the clutch pads grab on to, but you dont have to. look for a Bando brand kevlar belt or Gates brand premium belt. there are 2 types of gy6 engine. long case and short case. long case has 10 bolts that holds the cvt cover on, and the short case has 8 bolts. one uses a different size belt then the other. when you take the cover off, look at the belt, it should have the size on it. do these things and youll be amazed at how much dirt youll kick up. search videos on youtube if you dont know what you are doing or arent familiar with things. i actually have a link i found that helped me when i was modding my 150 gy6 thats on my coolster 3150-dx2. like i said there are tons of websites and brands, try to stay away from ebay if you can because you can get cheap knock off parts. where real scooter websites selling gy6 parts have the real stuff. hope this helps.

http://chineseatvperformance.blogspo...asian.html?m=1

http://www.scooterdynasty.com/150ccg...radestips.aspx
Thanks for the reply. This really helps! I will do some research on those links and see what I can get into. Im really excited to get into this and see what all I can do to up the performance a little bit.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:17 PM   #4

no problem man. also forgot to mention that the engine takes gear oil. 80w90 . theres 2 screws near the back of the cvt cover on the engine. ones a drain bolt and ones a fill bolt. you need to fill it with like a small tube attached to the tip of the gear oil bottle because its a small hole.you fill it until it starts leaking out. i recommend draining out the gear oil it came with and replacong with some name brand stuff from the auto store. check out some videos on youtube about how to do it.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackattack91 View Post
no problem man. also forgot to mention that the engine takes gear oil. 80w90 . theres 2 screws near the back of the cvt cover on the engine. ones a drain bolt and ones a fill bolt. you need to fill it with like a small tube attached to the tip of the gear oil bottle because its a small hole.you fill it until it starts leaking out. i recommend draining out the gear oil it came with and replacong with some name brand stuff from the auto store. check out some videos on youtube about how to do it.
Thanks man!