Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2017, 01:09 PM   #1

Need more oomph! Advice needed!

I know that some of the Chinese engines are copies of the Yamaha and/or Hondas. I'm looking to add a little more punch to my Yamaha Morphous,CP250 engine. Does anyone know if some of the Chinese copies have bits that would interchange? I'm looking at a Linhai 260 or 300 in particular. How about ATV parts? I think the Roketa is the same, also. Mine is a d.o.h.c. where most of what I see are s.o.h.c. engines. Would I be better off to swap for maybe a 300?

Last edited by minimac; 02-06-2017 at 09:45 AM.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:21 PM   #2

The Morpheus is the best it can be without serious engine build. You'll find better info on Yamaha based scooter boards. There was a forum specific to the Morpheus and modifications.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:48 AM   #3

There is very little, if any, info on this engine-that's why I'm possibly looking at China engines/parts or UTV/ATV parts.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimac View Post
There is very little, if any, info on this engine that's why I'm possibly looking at China engines/parts or UTV/ATV parts.
I understand that.

Everything in the China bike market is based off 60's-80's Honda or Suzuki bikes. Most of the Suzuki-based bikes have went away in favor of the Honda knockoffs. The only possible thing that may work is aftermarket slip on muffler, but you'll have to come up with a link pipe to mate the muffler to the engine header. There maybe an Emgo or K&N pod filter that would possibly fit the Morpheus. However, the Morpeus is fuel injected, so you'd have to find a fuel controller spec'd for the Morpeus to take advantage of the better flowing air filter and exhaust. That will be a rare piece of hardware tho.

The Morpheus is a rare scooter. It bombed in the US and Canada. It barely made from '05-'07 in the US and it didn't make it but one year,'07, in Canada. In the Asian Markets, it made it until at least 2012. The Asian countries are notorious for hot rodding and modifying scooters. That would probably be the only real place to get parts, and they'll more than likely come from Thailand or Japan. So it will be an expensive undertaking.

Also try searches for Yamaha SP250 and Yamaha Maxam. It was sold over seas under these two model names.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:55 AM   #5

The reason the morph is lacking is its weight. It has been said a majesty engine is pretty much a drop in.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jct842 View Post
The reason the morph is lacking is its weight. It has been said a majesty engine is pretty much a drop in.
The weight and low power is why I passed up on buying one when they were in the showrooms.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:49 AM   #7

Acceleration is adequate. The ride is great. The scooter tops out (with my fat ass on it) around 78 gps. I plan on doing a lot of interstate travel with it, but I'm concerned running at 72 or so for a long time is pushing a little hard. Info on the CP250 engine is non existent. I wonder what would be a safe overbore? I found a shop in Pa. that can reflash the ECU to better tune it.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:24 PM   #8

I've been looking into this. The cylinder is either nickel-carbide coated or nitride coated and can't be over bored. This is why Yamaha doesn't offer an over bore piston for rebuilds. There is also the issue of attempting to bore the cylinder block and running into the water jacket. jct842 stated above that the Majesty engine may work. It's work looking into if you're considering a big bore kit.

It's more gearing and how the CVT is set up that controls the power curve VS top speed. It may be possible to regear and lower rpm's at interstate speeds.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:46 AM   #9

I've been working on a deal for a second Morphous.(it happens to be in SC!) If I can pull it off, one of them will be getting the 400 conversion. I have all of the information and almost all of the parts needed for that. While it isn't exactly a bolt-in swap, it is supposed to be relatively easy. I guess I'll have to look into having a custom gearset made, similar to what Craig Vetter had made for his Helix. A good friend owns a huge machine shop-maybe a custom variator would help too. I'm more concerned with dropping the rpms than gaining more top end-although that would be nice. I was hoping for a quick and easy fix,but apparently that's not going to be the case. Thanks for your interest and responses! Any and all info is appreciated.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:03 PM   #10

You're welcome.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:10 AM   #11

It looks as though the deal for the other Morphous isn't going to happen. At this point, I've decided look for a wrecked Majesty to do the engine(and driveline) swap. I'll accumulate my parts over the summer and start this in the fall. It is supposed to be a straight forward swap, and will give me the power I'm looking for and the added bonus of being able to run a larger rear tire. There doesn't seem to be any hop up parts available for the 400 engine either and little in the way of information on it, also. At least already having one, I know it is virtually bullet proof.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:00 PM   #12

The engines in the Linhai maxi Scooters are indeed Yamaha clones. Unfortunately, I just don't know enough about the Yamaha scooter engine families to help you. I have seen a Linhai 400 (around 370cc) for sale on some Chinese scooter vendor sites, but they cost a lot more than the 260.
Here is a pic of a Linhai VOG 300 engine/cvt from scrappydog. See if it resembles your Yami engine.

Last edited by wheelbender6; 03-16-2017 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Add engine pic

Old 03-17-2017, 09:11 AM   #13

Thanks for that info....I'll have to investigate further. I'll try to hunt up some technical numbers and measurements on the Linhai engines.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:54 AM   #14

Well, it looks like I'll have to find a wrecked Majesty and do the 400 swap. The Morph developed what sounds almost like a rod knock. I haven't pulled it apart to see what exactly it is, but with info so hard to find on this engine, I'll just do the swap. I'll need the ecu, engine and rear section of frame, but after talking to someone that has done it, while not exactly a drop in, it is a relatively easy thing to do. No more trouble than replacing the 250 itself, and should give me the cruising ability I want. I did find a good CP250 engine for under $300, but I'll be right back to needed more power.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:40 PM   #15

I finally found another Majesty to use for the engine swap. A guy bought it for the plastics to replace his, and didn't want the chassis. It's complete and has everything(I think) that I'll need to do the swap. We'll see if this is as easy as "everyone" claims it is.