Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2017, 07:41 PM   #1

Here we go again....

Been keeping this close to vest till it was actually delivered. Which it was today...This is what replaced the XL185 in my collection of motorcycles.

1992 Yamaha Seca II 600 cc

'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 07-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #2

Well this bike did not stick around long. it goes to its new owner tomorrow morning to make way for the Deuce.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 07-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #3

Speaking of the Deuce...I might as well just keep this thread open for the new arrival. Which I gotta wait till it is inspected till it comes home. But for now here are a couple pics of it from the day i started the initial purchase process. Along with a pic of me on the bike.

Like i said in the "What did you buy" thread the windshield is most likely coming off. But i will experiment with it on and off first before making that change. Now as for more info on it...

2001 Harley Davidson Softail "Deuce" (FXSTD in HD nomenclature)

62xxx kms
Stage one upgrades (Pipes, Filter and Carb tuning)
Fully serviced and ready to go by the dealership when it was traded in.
Previously female owned which explains a lot of the appearance upgrades. A lot of the polished and plated parts being replaced by actual chrome replacements. It also explains the shifter being set up as high as it was. I figure the previous owner must have worn boots with heels on them...about the only way i can figure why the shifter was as high as it was.

Planned changes:

Removal of windshield...two reasons for this..one the mounting hardware is rusted a bit..and secondly i feel unstable with it on. I rode this bike back to back with a new Street 750. And the one thing i noticed once i got on the highway with the Street with the wind hitting me directly it felt like less of a fight with the controls. The Windshield on the Deuce seems to induce turbulence or break up the stream of air enough that when it clears the shield it hits me and thus causes me to have to correct for it. If it was a wider touring shield like what is on the Softail classic i don't think this problem would exist as i did not notice it when i rode a '10 Softail Classic last fall.

Changing out the derby cover and a possibly air cleaner cover for ones from the "Dark Custom" line up. This is mostly just a cosmetic change and the start of personalizing the bike for myself.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 07-14-2017, 01:24 PM   #4

That's nicely broken in at 62000km; I hope it gives you many happy miles.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-14-2017, 02:48 PM   #5

Agree on the windshield, it's too low for you. The airstream is punching you right in the puss.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 07-14-2017, 08:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
That's nicely broken in at 62000km; I hope it gives you many happy miles.
So do i. The beauty of it being a highly popular model in the form of being Softail based is that there is a massive ton of aftermarket for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
Agree on the windshield, it's too low for you. The airstream is punching you right in the puss.
That is one way of looking at it...
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 07-17-2017, 12:15 AM   #7

I swear this buying experience is getting to levels of frustration that i am sure many of my fellow china riders can relate to in terms of customer service...I had the bill of sale for the bike in my hand since tuesday...but waiting on a third party shop to get the damn provincial inspection done.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 07-17-2017, 12:27 PM   #8

MB bike?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-17-2017, 11:09 PM   #9

Quote:
MB bike?

No it was from Alberta. Sask changed their inspection process a few years ago so i had to wait for a third party shop to do the inspection. The Harley dealer is working on getting licensed to do their own sk inspections. The bike came home a few hours ago now. Just didn't have time to get pics on the computer to post. I get off shift at 7 am in the morning tomorrow. And then i am off till Thursday night. So i will def get some riding in along with taking some pics to add to this thread.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 07-18-2017, 12:03 AM   #10

One of the pics i got with my Iphone before i left for work
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Softail Deuce.jpg (100.1 KB, 191 views)
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 07-19-2017, 12:18 AM   #11

Got some better pics along with a couple of the new jacket and vest i got for riding.

I am probably going to take some better and close in pics with my DSLR in the driveway tomorrow.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 07-19-2017, 11:46 AM   #12

Nice. I have to admit, I might have been caught looking at the 750 street rod at the dealership. Like the look but , low rider aspect and the 12k otd price not my cup-o-tea.

If I have a weakness for a 10k bike , im going for the new 18' yamaha tenere 700. This one looks like its gona check most of the boxes. Decent price (around 10k), around 400lbs, over 70 hp with the fz-07 engine, big wheels, the works... (remember Pete talking about this one last year) http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/xt...or-production/

The threads look nice...hd is trying to energize its marketing with new bikes , engines and newb customers. I think they are runing out of docs and lawyers looking for 25k bikes.

Here's a really nice hd modular helment .
http://www.nycharleydavidson.com/h-d...SABEgKCvfD_BwE

Enjoy the riding season up there with your awesome harley-dee!
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 07-19-2017, 12:33 PM   #13

Excellent job on the Winnie the Pooh picture; your colouring skills are coming along nicely.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Nice. I have to admit, I might have been caught looking at the 750 street rod at the dealership. Like the look but , low rider aspect and the 12k otd price not my cup-o-tea.

If I have a weakness for a 10k bike , im going for the new 18' yamaha tenere 700. This one looks like its gona check most of the boxes. Decent price (around 10k), around 400lbs, over 70 hp with the fz-07 engine, big wheels, the works... (remember Pete talking about this one last year) http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/xt...or-production/

The threads look nice...hd is trying to energize its marketing with new bikes , engines and newb customers. I think they are runing out of docs and lawyers looking for 25k bikes.

Here's a really nice hd modular helment .
http://www.nycharleydavidson.com/h-d...SABEgKCvfD_BwE

Enjoy the riding season up there with your awesome harley-dee!
The Street Rod is a nice bike as well, In fact it was one of the ones that was within my price range for what i was approved for. I rode the Street 500 during the Riding academy last year and actually liked the little guy. Not a bad beginner bike by any means. In fact i would not be surprised that if in two years or so a Street 500 joins the collection for the wife's first HD. During the shopping phase i rode 3 bikes last fall and 4 bikes this past month. Last fall i rode a '16 Dyna Street bob with Stage 1, a '10 Heritage Softail Classic, and a '17 Street Glide. All those bikes were awesome but just did not have just enough credit at the time for any of them. A couple months ago i rode a '08 Electra Glide...did not care for that one much as it felt top heavy...During this past stage the 4 bikes i rode were a '13 Vrod Night Rod, '13 Sportster 1200 custom, The Deuce and a '16 Street 750. The Vrod was just out of reach in terms of financing...but wicked bike!. That one had Stage 1 on it as well...i actually melted my shoe on the header of that one. The Sportster...well..i now understand why i was told to avoid them for someone my size. Felt like a tractor.... the Street 750...that was a great bike as well. A bit more power then the Street 500...felt like the transmission was a bit tighter then the 500 as well. Great over all all rounder really. But with long distance riding in mind...well that is the biggest reason the Deuce won. I could have gotten the '16 Street for around the same price i got this one for. The Deuce has Stage 1 upgrades as well..and i gotta say the Vance and Hines pipes on it...freaking bark when you get on it...

As for the gear, Thanks, It made sense to get some updated gear at the same time. The leather jacket in the first pics was a bit warm for the weather up here currently. Hence why i picked up a vest and 2 in one jacket. The two tone jacket in the new pics is Leather/Textile with removable sleeves.

As for that lid...it is def a nice one...Pro Tip: Most of the HD helmets seem to be made by HJC. Found that one out when i was shopping for a more appropriate lid.

Quote:
Excellent job on the Winnie the Pooh picture; your colouring skills are coming along nicely.

Save
Save
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 07-19-2017, 01:30 PM   #15

You definitely did your homework and sounds like you really made an educated decision. Yes I couldnt help but notice those awesome pipes.

They are marketing those "street"(s) as city commuter etc..and of course an around cool looking bike

Speaking of cool bikes.. got an extra 50k for an bonafide off the shelf flat track racer?

http://www.cycleworld.com/indian-mot...rchase-program

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~