Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2010, 10:31 PM   #1

Abunch of Lifan XR200 pictures

I told you it was filthy.

The Lifan XR.

Some random shots of the garage, though you all might be interested in the toys. Being single and employed is nice.

The well restored 1981 Yamaha XS400. Great little bike.

The flagship Honda.

The Mighty Q.

My shop is usually a lot neater than this!

Bill's drowned solenoid. It works!

Chinatools (HF) for a Chinabike!

On/off works, have to sort out the starter button.

I won't be able to run a countershaft sprocket cover.

Not fully installed.

Good solid grounds.

Good connections. The tape is just labels, removed already.

Battery for a Harley.

USPS's treatment of my package of electrical bits.

A bird Martin The Cat killed while I was working on the bike.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:34 PM   #2

Martin's bird.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:39 PM   #3

Cheezy cellphone video but its kinda fun.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #4

Thank you for the photos, and video, Bill! The Lifan engine looks great; you have done a superb job.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-28-2010, 01:46 AM   #5

nicely done doc, seeing over the time you have had this project going just how much you have had to take apart on the bike. i must say some powder coating sure would look good. the swingarm would look good black with the red frame.. and i love the garage

seems when it comes to placement of tools during a project we have the same process. set it down and leave it untill the job is over.. i find i like to leave the tools out untill the project is done with.. makes finding the right tool quicker..

you have inspired me, this winter along with the rear end rebuild of my quad im going to redo my wiring with larger higher quality wires.

and about the starter button, if you wanted to do this and feel you have the ability to do it. you can take the switch housing apart and just completely redo and run your own wiring for the starter button..

Old 10-28-2010, 02:52 AM   #6

Re: Abunch of Lifan XR200 pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I won't be able to run a countershaft sprocket cover.

I don't get it. Is the new sprocket that much thicker? If so, I presume that's because the XR uses a 520 chain, while the Lifan likely uses a 428. Could the XR cover fit over the countershaft sprocket?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-28-2010, 02:55 AM   #7

a peice of angle iron, grinder with cut off wheel, and a saturday afternoon. i bet you could make a custom cover..

Old 10-28-2010, 05:45 AM   #8

I don't understand either, Doc. Can't you trim the sprocket cover enough to clear the frame? :?: I think the bike will look fine without a sprocket cover, but I can't visualize the problem.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-28-2010, 08:49 AM   #9

Sounds really nice with that stock exhaust. My xr looks to be in about the same condition. Maybe alittle better as I found it under a lean to.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
I don't understand either, Doc. Can't you trim the sprocket cover enough to clear the frame? :?: I think the bike will look fine without a sprocket cover, but I can't visualize the problem.

Spud
Its the frame in the way not the sprocket :? . I used an angle grinder on it quite a bit last night. I suppose it can be done I just ran out of patience, I'll try some more later.

The battery and air filter are in. I may have it on the road/trail in the next couple of days. The battery will be taped in until my friend Ron gets home from his long distance trucking run. He's the welder...

He also has a pneumatic staple gun I'll need to install the seat cover.

If all goes well, and she's a good runner, I MAY strip it down and repaint the frame and swingarm. I already have a stock painted metal tank in good shape, and some new grips. I may break my rule and un-uglify it....

Old 10-28-2010, 12:41 PM   #11

Doc, I think you need to make an investment.

I use one of these. I don't know what I am doing, but it pretty much runs itself. The 140 has the gas shielding setup, but it will also run fluxcore wire which I what I use. I got my used off ebay. :wink:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/welding...welder-3812040

The cheaper ones are fine, but do not have all the different settings which help for welding thin stuff.

If you can work the glue gun you can weld.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #12

I think I get it now. The Lifan cover won't accomodate the XR swingarm mounting point. Hopefully a little trimming will solve it. You'd hate for Miss Megan to get her pants caught in the chain. 8O

Rather than installing a metal tank, you could wet sand the plastic tank with progressively finer grits. Once it's smooth, rub some clear silicone spray into it, and it will retain a semi gloss look that is easy to clean.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-28-2010, 12:47 PM   #13

I would wait on the repaint. Nice not having to worry about it being scratched up from the likely drops coming up.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Doc, I think you need to make an investment.

I use one of these. I don't know what I am doing, but it pretty much runs itself. The 140 has the gas shielding setup, but it will also run fluxcore wire which I what I use. I got my used off ebay. :wink:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/welding...welder-3812040

The cheaper ones are fine, but do not have all the different settings which help for welding thin stuff.

If you can work the glue gun you can weld.
That Hobart is a nice machine, but it lacks the variable voltage control of this one: http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-1...5a-output.html

Old 10-28-2010, 12:55 PM   #15

That is a good buy there. A welder is definately an investment. I have made enough money fixing things for people to pay for mine.

Repaired alot of mower decks.

When I get a real shop, I may start using the gas setup.