Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2015, 02:17 PM   #16

I forgot to mention that those old tires actually held air! I pumped them up to roll it into the shipping facility. I don't think I'd try setting any land speed records with them, but they'll do around the property.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Don't judge! If Kato wants pretty nails, leave him be.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-01-2015, 03:42 PM   #18

Quote:
If it's anything like a Briggs, the carb is mounted on the tank and requires a vacuum fuel pump. If the Tecumseh is the same, you might not be able to use a frame mounted gas tank with the original carb.

Perhaps you can find a replacement tank, or repair the original. The mini I built had room in the frame for a Briggs with a stock tank and carb. The difficulty comes in figuring out how to adapt a twist throttle to a rotary linkage.

The tecumseh has a float style carb with a fuel inlet. I think that I have a tank that will work.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:43 PM   #19

Quote:
I forgot to mention that those old tires actually held air! I pumped them up to roll it into the shipping facility. I don't think I'd try setting any land speed records with them, but they'll do around the property.
If they hold air we will likely use them.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger View Post
The tecumseh has a float style carb with a fuel inlet. I think that I have a tank that will work.
That's good news. The only remaining issue is the carb linkage for a twist throttle.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-02-2015, 08:23 AM   #21

That I am sure we can overcome.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:24 AM   #22

I noticed that the original Tecumseh engine has the carb and exhaust reversed.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:16 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger View Post
That I am sure we can overcome.

Certainly. I used the linkage from a Quadrajet carb I had in the scrap pile. After some careful drilling and tapping, I was able to connect the throttle cable. I even used one of the two Quadrajet throttle return springs.

It was the only thing I could think of at the time, because I was trying to get a twist grip throttle to spin a rotary linkage. It worked well.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:45 PM   #24

We will use the stock throttle assembly on the engine. It pulls the governor arm and not the throttle arm. This will retain the governor to keep us from loosing a rod. Also keep our speeds down.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:52 PM   #25

Right, I forgot that you intend to keep the governor. Will you be able to use some sort of return spring?

Old 03-03-2015, 09:14 AM   #26

I think we can make something. I have springs.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:24 AM   #27

Does the stock throttle have a cable, or is the throttle lever simply a part of the governor linkage?

Old 03-03-2015, 11:09 AM   #28

It is just part of the linkage. I think it has a place to install a cable.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:52 PM   #29
Banned

Parts

Guys, I did some Tecumseh warranty work a few yrs ago for Deep Rock well drilling Mfg. I have a good amount of the parts left over, as they believed in new parts swap over repairs. I even have some NIB parts, carb I think, some short blocks etc. and quite a bit of the stuff brought in (usually clogged carb/bad gas situation.)
Anyways whatever you need, I can check in the warehouse above my shop, see what I can dif up for you, if it helps.
Cost? U pay shipping. N/C, of course. Most of it is either in boxes ready to second box (for protection) and ship out. You may owe me a favor sometimes, or not.
Let me know what u need and I will look when I can go down there in the next day or two.
MOST tecumseh horizontal engines use a separate carb on a manifold thats below the exhaust outlet (for fire safety). This allows any gravity feed gas situation, day tank, remote tank etc. Also can do a fuel pump (need to regulate it to below 3psi for the floats to not flood, though they say 5psi is OK. I could never consistantly use over 3 PSI and KNOW It wouldn't flood with a fuel pump/non gravity set up.
Hope this helps.
PS How about a pic of the "old girl"? I had a couple when a kid, still have the chipped tooth from my early wheelie NOT learning curve!

Old 03-03-2015, 12:59 PM   #30
Banned

Also,

Read other pg. The DR app uses a throttle cable. If I can find a carb thats new, the cable attach parts will be in there. I positive there are some manifolds there, and mufflers NIB also. Just make a list for me, please. The tanks also might work with a aluminum cross piece between the frame rails (if like my old Taco mini. (Pic will let me help better). This mani is the swing down type to get it below exhaust (and heat that can Vapor lock it/boil the gas in the bowl, you need to consider with exhaust outlet and radiant from), also.