Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2012, 07:32 AM   #16

I think I still have some some left hand controls with good wiring. May have the right too. Let me know if you want them.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I think I still have some some left hand controls with good wiring. May have the right too. Let me know if you want them.
Please check. the right side is fine just need the left. If you have an ignition switch I would be interested in that also. (headlight pigtail also. )
Basically the Front wiring I am missing. (speedo etc. But I want to run my XL gauges. )

Old 02-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloud
You never know how larger pics will go over, Some forums are nutty about big pictures. I will get some more pics when I work on the bike this weekend. (the advantage of carrying a Iphone all the time.)

Ordered the last few parts I should need (new battery and 12v headlight)

How Noisy are the starters on these engines? AS I didn't have a good battery
I tried it with the battery charger on it, and it wasn't too bad, sounds like the gears could be greased to help.
I know what you mean about photo size; we certainly appreciate your courtesy in this regard. Some forums only want you to post thumbnail photos, but that's not the case here. You can post photos approximately 25 percent larger than your last photo, and we will be very pleased to view them.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #19

I'm gonna follow this project.

With a 30mm Mikuni and the right jets, this motor will feel like you're splitting atoms, compared to the old 175 motor. I wonder if XR200 motor mounts would have fit properly.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #20

I will stick with the stock carb (CB) for now, till I get everything done. the exhaust for the Xl is a lot more free flow than the CB one. With the XL airbox it will be interesting to see how the jetting is.

As for the Xr mounts who knows, It took me 20 Mins to cut the plates to weld onto the CB mount, and then another 5 mins to weld. Compared to my Custom 4x4 fabrication this stuff is nice to work on. Got it sitting up on a stool at a good hight and don't have to lug Toyota truck axles around.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #21

I have both left and right sides, but I don't have a keyswitch or other wiring. The switches are yours for the price of shipping. Just send me a PM with you address. Paypal is good for me. Also I am parting out my xr200r too. Plan is to buy a ready to ride dirt bike in the future.

Weld let me know if need any parts from it. I will set them aside.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #22

More progress and pics

Location of the battery box, It will slide out the left side, 3 bolts.
air filter sits above it, I will enclose the filter except for the top so rain/water will not get sucked in.

Got the down pipe exhaust onto the engine. And I tested the engine starter (It works Fine ) So one less thing I have to buy.

Didn't get as much done as I wanted to, the welder broke and I had to fix it, (old Mig) and I had to go new hardware. But some progress. Next week is likely going to be a bust as I need to get the estates cleanout DONE. (but we May have a buyer for the house. (I hope.)

Old 02-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #23

Thanks for posting the large, clear photos, Gloud. You are making good progress; your bike looks great.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #24

It looks like you welded a chunk of rectangular tube for use with the upper mount. Good idea.

Does that kicker clear the exhaust? Cool pipe, BTW.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-14-2012, 03:02 AM   #25

yes the kick start does clear everything. the down tube is stock xl175 and the muffler is actually a grafted on SL350 muffler. (That way when I got it.) I have a bassini High pipe for it also but I just like the looks of the scrambler exhaust.

And I used a 2x2" piece of square tube with the top cut out to fit the frame for the upper frame mount and I have two cut out top mounts to fab and then bolt on. Getting all my missing pieces ordered, and when I get a full weekend to work in the shop I should be able to knock out the rest.

I have a 7" headlight to add to it to replace the stock 6" 6v unit. A little brighter and replacement bulbs are easy to find vs a vintage bulb.

as it will be a daily driver if things work out I have to think of these things.

Suggestions are welcome as all comments.
Thanks
Glenn

Old 02-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #26

I like the scrambler exhaust as well. What happened to your welder? What brand is it?

I hope the sale of the house goes smoothly.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #27

It is an old marquette welder (175 amp. ) I have been nursing it along for the last 10 years (bought it used ) and it owes me NOTHING. LOL
I did a lot of 4wd suspension fabrication, roll bars, bumpers etc with it.
The current problem was feed issues It was the liner on the hose/gun combo.
I finally got it clean and blown out and then I had some issues with reassembly. But she is welding good now and feeding properly.

(I first started having issues when a friend yanked the whole welder around by the gun. ) Time for a new one some day. Or go large and buy a new welder.

Thanks on the selling of the house. I am hopeful on this buyer, Just trying to get the garage cleaned out for sat. took two loads of junk out this am, and hope for a load or two tomorrow am. The joy is this is the house next door to me so I will be gaining new neighbors too. It was left to us 4 kids other wise I would likely move there and sell my house. Fun stuff. NOT

Old 02-15-2012, 01:12 AM   #28

Have you considered a new hose and gun from HF? Maybe they have a close match.

I have a Miller 175 (which I love), but if I had to do it over again, I might gamble on the Eastwood welders. They are the only economy welders I've seen that have infinite voltage control, just like a Miller. Most MIG welders have 4, 5 or 6 voltage selections, but the Miller (and the Eastwood) is analogue between 0-10. I normally spend more time between 2-3 or 3-4 than anywhere else.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #29

My Marquette was a whopping 200.00 used in 2001. I am going to throw a new liner into it for now, (it is up and working at the moment) But I have had to replace the main Capacitor already. SO what I will likely do is sell this one and buy one once the estate is settled. (along with a decent Tig. and Plasma cutter)

I will go with a vendor who offers parts support for sure. (My Mig uses Tweco handle so no issue there)

On other news I ordered a new Instrument package from Trail Tech a Vapor Computer Kit. I figure I have allready changed enough so lets go with what I want for upgrades. So I will have an integrated speedo, Tach, temp gauge, and a few other items they cram into them. I will be buying the mount that has the indicators built in also.

WIth the CB engine and with some careful gearing changes (to get it a little more MPG ) I should get decent milage. (better than my 78DT175 I rode last year. )

Old 02-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #30

65-70mpg should be no problem.